Hondo's Bar

Blade Runner 2049

BLADE RUNNER 2 Finds A Director; Harrison Ford Will Return As 'Deckard'

115917.jpg

The sequel to Ridley Scott's sci-fi masterpiece has found an Academy Award nominated director in the form of Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Incendies), and it looks like Harrison Ford is officially on board to reprise the role of replicant hunter Rick Deckard. Click on for the full press release...

By Mark Cassidy - 2/26/2015

blade-runner.jpg

Ridley Scott has been teasing plans to get behind the director's chair again for a sequel toBlade Runner for a while now, but it seems he'll be passing the reigns on to Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Enemy) so he can helm Prometheus 2 instead. It's also been confirmed that Harrison Ford will return as Rick Deckard (guess he wasn't a replicant after all), in a story set "several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original". The press release was a looooong one, but you can have a read of most of it below. What do you guys think about this?

DENIS VILLENEUVE IN NEGOTIATIONS TO DIRECT “BLADE RUNNER” SEQUEL HARRISON FORD TO REPRISE ORIGINAL ROLE AS RICK DECKARD RIDLEY SCOTT TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE LOS ANGELES, CA, FEBRUARY 26, 2015 —

Harrison Ford will reprise his celebrated role of Rick Deckard in the sequel to Alcon Entertainment’s BLADE RUNNER and Academy Award nominee Denis Villeneuve to (Prisoners, Incendies) is in negotiations to direct, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. Film is scheduled to start principle photography in summer of 2016. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridely Scott.

The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

State Johnson and Kosove: “We are honored that Harrison is joining us on this journey with Denis Villeneuve, who is a singular talent, as we experienced personally on Prisoners. Hampton and Michael, with Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn't be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team.”

Ford will next be seen in The Age of Adaline for Lionsgate and the highly anticipated upcoming Star Wars for Walt Disney Pictures. Recent releases include the Warner Bros./Legendary box office hit 42. Villeneuve most recently directed the crime thriller Sicario, staring Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, and Benecio Del Toro for Black Label Media and Lionsgate. He also directed Canada’s Oscar nominated French language film Incendies, and Alcon Entertainment’s critically acclaimed Prisoners, staring Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from producer Bud Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Yorkin will serve as a producer on the sequel along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications. Released by Warner Bros., BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick’s novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and was directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). BLADE RUNNER was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

• 11 months later...

Blade Runner 2 dated for January 12, 2018

The sequel to Ridley Scott's Blade Runner has gotten a domestic release date from Warner Bros.

The film will hit theaters on Jan. 12, 2018, over Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend.

Currently the only other film that is set to open on this date is Paramount Animations' Sherlock Gnomes.

Ryan Gosling will star in the project alongside Harrison Ford, who will be reprising his role as San Fransisco police officer Rick Deckard.

still don't think we need this, but it is taking shape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

source

jessica-1_0.jpg

000229943hr.jpg

Plot details, written by Fancher and Michael Green, are being closely guarded, but the director confirms to EW that events take place several decades after the original. The setting is once again a future Los Angeles, albeit one that spreads over much of the West Coast. “The climate has gone berserk — the ocean, the rain, the snow is all toxic,” Villeneuve says. The vehicle pictured in this exclusive concept art from the sequel, Villeneuve says, is a kind of snow blower that hovers over the streets and destroys snow. He laughs. “It’s a Canadian wet dream!”

Ryan Gosling costars with Ford, who is back as runner Rick Deckard — ”he’s full of wisdom and good advice,” according to the filmmaker. Ridley Scott serves as an executive producer, while Roger Deakins, who last teamed with Villeneuve on last year’s Sicario, serves as DP. “It’s a great team and spirits are very high,” Villenevue says. “Failure is not an option.”

My brain immediately said, 'Oooh, shit...' when it saw that artwork. I officially can't fucking wait to see this.

Didn't know Ford was coming back for this...kinda brings the whole thing down a notch, but who knows? It might work. I love that 'failure is not an option' quote. Fuck, yeah - people onboard who give a shit. Some producers equate success w/ simply making their money back - I really like that quote. Do it right, boys!

• 2 months later...

They've already made two direct to video prequels, if I remember correctly.

No, you're thinking of Death Race, the 2008 remake of Death Race 2000 starring Jason Statham which spawned 2 direct-to-DVD prequels starring Luke Goss. This is a sequel to the 1970s film with David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. Confusingly enough, a sequel to the Death Race remake titled tentatively, Death Race 4 is also in production.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 2 months later...

Right now, my feelings are positive b/c of Prometheus: During prom's development the studio kept fucking with Scott which is why it went from "alien movie" to "not alien movie" to "maybe-little-touchie alien movie" which I feel shows in the final presentation of the film. with 2049 Scott has full control over it without the studio fucking with him so maybe it will come out as a better overall product.

Behind the scenes, Scott vs Studio and the fight over Aliens rights in Prometheus:

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZigXHzX

It is just a teaser - but I'll put it up anyway for discussion's sake. (shrugs)

All this time - I thought it was a spin-off film taking place in the same universe. Like, literally focused on another Blade Runner. LOL - no idea it was Deckard: Part 2...

Excited as hell to see this - but straight-up: as a big fan of Blade Runner - I didn't feel anything seeing Deckard. I just saw old Solo. Don't see the need - but I also don't know the plot.

So which version of Blade Runner is THE version to watch? There are 30 of them.

Well, where do you stand on Director's Cuts? Special Editions? Extended Editions?

You prefer to see films as it was originally released w/out any changes? Interested in seeing a director revisit a work that's bugged the crap out of them to 'correct' or 'complete' a vision? Personally, I do - I don't find the idea of 'correcting' a film all that blasphemous - I find it to be an interesting exercise.

Which version of Alien do you like?

Whenever I watch Blade Runner - I watch the 'Final Cut'. The film has an interesting history of studio meddling - the 'Final Cut' is the definitive version, in my opinion. My understanding is that he had complete control over the final product. It has cleaned-up fx shots, re-shot scenes, added scenes...color-timing corrections (I'm using an outdated term for simple 'color changes')...I mean, hardcore frame-by-frame stuff. I find artists consumed w/ perfection fascinating - he cares about Blade Runner and I don't find anything jarring about the 'Final Cut'. No dewbacks walking across shots - LOL

Hmm. I wonder what versions I watched. I just know I fell asleep 20 mins in the first time around and didn't enjoy it much the second. NZA and I have arguments about whether or not it's aged well. I say not at all.

And why does everyone have to go through a window at some point?