Hondo's Bar

Solo: A Star Wars Story

That's not much help nowadays, Hayden Christiansen is a decent-to-good actor, and he was certainly able to emote with just his pained and forlorn looks, but Lucas's shit dialogue and terrible directing (where he told his Jedi to act stiff, detached and withdrawn) made a bunch of great actors and their characters look like shit. Ford is quoted on record stating "George, you can type this shit but you can't say it!" And I don't see actors, especially those playing already established characters, being able to bring some actual authenticity to the screen. So I'm a little worried.

Edited by Drifter

A. No, Hayden Christensen is not a good actor.  He is slightly better than his work in those two movies but he's got wooden delivery and the barest blip of charisma.

B. George Lucas is no longer involved with Star Wars and so far none of the Disney films have indicated an interest in Lucas' Shakespeare-for-dumb-people style of dialogue.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

The first trailer had me at 'maaaybe' it could work - but, I'll Redbox.

This new trailer has me now at a big-ass 'heeell no'.  LOL - I'll still be 'Redbox'-ing - to see what they do w/ Star Wars' 'Underworld' - by far the most interesting thing this movie has going for it (design)...but, this is too much of a 'dumb-fun romp' for the Solo I love.  (shrugs)  This is totally Guardians.

This could've been a spin-off film /series called 'Rendar'.  Cut off Chewie and the Falcon (maybe cameo) - this dude / character could've totally been Dash...and this flick launch his own clean-slate, no-strings-attached series.  I'd be down w/ Star Wars Guardians starring Dash Rendar.

Outriiiideeeer...

source.gif

air-horn-gif-10.gif

5 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

I mean, if he finds a way to capture that and it shows on screen then the dude is a better actor than we think, right?

Oh I'm on record as thinking he's a great actor, I just wish he didn't choose/wasn't directed to reproduce a bad performance.

• 1 month later...

I was one of the people who was against a film like this from the get-go.  Give me a Yoda trilogy or a Boba Fett film, but just let Harrison Ford's Han Solo stand as the only Han we need. That coupled with the tumultuous production had me legitimately expecting a full on dumpster fire of a film.  But then the trailers dropped and my expectations went from dumpster fire to possibly not horrible. And what I was pleasantly surprised to see in the theaters last week was a rather mediocre film.

Reactions all over have pretty much been "meh" for this film. You've got extremist fanboys on the left who say this was worse than TLJ (To quote Luke. "That's impossible!") and those SW Celebration lifetime pass having zombies on the right who love it because they love anything with a Star Wars logo on it. Technically it's done okay for an action film at the box office thus far, but in reality it's a bomb for a Star Wars film.

Over Memorial Day weekend, they were jolted when Solo: A Star Wars Story battled hard to hit $103 million domestically and bombed overseas with $65 million. The film badly trailed the launch of fellow stand-alone pic Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which debuted to $155 million domestically in 2016 on its way to topping $1.056 billion globally. At its current rate, Solo may not gross much more than $400 million in all after costing at least $250 million to produce before marketing.

Solo's initial performance marks a rare loss for Disney. Moreover, it is forcing the studio to re-examine its strategy for the iconic Star Wars franchise, which Disney took over when it bought Lucasfilm for more than $4 billion in 2012...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I agree, there are star wars characters out there that are just begging to be expanded upon but they stupidly went for the most iconic and divisive one in the entire cast. Why do they think it's a good business strategy to constantly divide the fanbase against itself?