Hondo's Bar

Star Wars, Episode 8: The Last Jedi

That's kinda how I was with it. I have kind of controversial SW opinions to begin with though. I don't hate he prequels as much as most (I genuinely enjoy Revenge of the Sith. Its a really fun movie.).

I don't think A New Hope is a good movie. And Return of the Jedi is my favorite out of the originals. 

But I love the world and ideas of the series. Certain characters really stand out to me too and Ive got my favorites. But there is SO much. People get so invested. I totally get and respect where these fans are coming from. Not everyone was gonna be happy from the get go.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Drifter said:

... the prequels were bad and didn't add much, but they didn't take anything away from the original series either; 

I understand this sentiment, but I'm not sure if it's entirely true.  The prequel trilogy did irrepricable damage to Darth Vader, and the mythos of the force via midichlorians.  

Also, if your wife had issues with the state of Han and Leia in Episode VII, Luke's state is going to hit her hard!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Yeah, turning the force into an STD was monumentally stupid and ultimately insulting to the audience, but it didn't contradict or change the overall effect of how the force was portrayed in any of the films or other media, it just made it laughably easy to identify a force user with a fucking blood test. At the end of the day it added nothing but also didn't really detracting from anything; it was just a childish insult that ultimately changed nothing. Exposition where none was needed. (The impetus for it was Lucas wanting to rationalize the force in 'reality', to him the force is everywhere in the universe, even right here and right now, but the fucking force bacteria only exist in that one galaxy far, far away, saturating the place like mist of mold spores; and it is through that medium that living creatures can interact with the force and do their magic mumbo jumbo... ooooh, big whoop, you too are descended from cylons. Don't you just feel an extra-special connection to the show now.)

I can just picture it now- I'm sorry but you've tested positive for jedi and there's not enough antibiotics in the galaxy to clear that up, you should have been using a prophylactic on your lighsaber; but at least you didn't catch sith, that one's just nasty with all that pasty skin and funky eyes, shudder to think about it. 

As for Vader... well, there is that trope of 'taking a level of badass' to fall back on... all it took to turn a whiney bitch into a black knight shit-kicker was an afternoon picnic next to a volcano, go figure. But again, because it was a prequel it didn't really change anything about the character or his motivations in any of the other films, it was just a ham-fisted clusterfuck to shovel more melodrama onto the audience but what did it change about the character once he put on the black suit? It may have diminished his dark persona for some of the audience (the difference between a tortured soul and a brooding hipster can be subtle) but it can be ignored or explained away with out detracting from any of the other franchise works.

But the new sequels are showing the direct aftermath and effects of all the history of the canon, and we're seeing that character arcs and personal growth have amounted to jack shit 30 years later. The message isn't that people can change and that perseverance in the face of adversity pays off, but that life is just one long crushing desperate struggle of the same shit generation after generation with no hope for improvement and that just one slip will destroy everything that you've fought to maintain and even that is ultimately pointless in the grand scheme of things for even the most powerful among us who want to do good... it's taking fun space fantasy and turning it into dark-grim nihilism... which says a lot about this day and age when even our escapist entertainment is depressing by design... what the fuck ever happened to having a fun adventure in a hopeful world of tomorrow; defending your utopia from the forces of evil; or standing up for your ideals in the face of adversity? How about taking the high road and winning? I'm sick of this shit of some depressing band of PTSD suffering fashion models with crippling emotional issues and untreated mental illness tearing down a corrupt dystopian system that has a stranglehold on the desolate remains of a failed society that in the end still leaves our heroes wallowing in a cesspool human filth and proudly looking forward to an uncertain future that only offers more desperate struggle in a desolate wasteland and little else?

As for Luke; don't I know it! I'm trying to find the right time to give her that spoiler so she doesn't kill me and everyone around us in the theater when she finally sees it happen. I expect to get an ear full after the fact, regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it.

0f04d8aeb808ccd2b384e6f3cabe8c00--ghostb

What a damn shame.  It's Star Wars for people who've never seen Star Wars - and will never watch again...as much as they 'loved it'.

Jarring, confusing, thematically clumsy - ultimately all disposable and pointless.

Luke Skywalker is wasted here.  I walked away kinda wishing these films didn't happen - they really dropped the ball on something that could've / SHOULD'VE been great.  But 'making as much money as humanly possible'...as 'quickly as possible' is the obvious mission here.  They Disney XD'd the living shit outta this.

I have zero interest in seeing where it goes - it's now a mild curiosity.  I don't even care to ever see this again.  That Yoda-shit was fucking paaaainful.

"What makes a Jedi?  Eh.  We'll...prolly figure that out later.  Whatever - you do know we're winging it over here, right?"

This is what 'Rebels' is to 'Clone Wars'.  Fucking neutered.

Best stuff?  Whenever Luke opened his mouth.  Worst part?  The entire plot / theme / premise of 'everyone running around like a chicken w/out a head - picking up things to just put them right back down.  All.  Pointless.

"Had fun?  Be sure to Star Wars the next Star WarsStar Wars!"  Ka-ching!

(sigh)  RIP - I hope the future is brighter when someone really has something to say.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Little Nemo McFly said:

I saw it.

Hide contents

What a damn shame.  It's Star Wars for people who've never seen Star Wars - and will never watch again...as much as they 'loved it'.

Jarring, confusing, thematically clumsy - ultimately all disposable and pointless.

Luke Skywalker is wasted here.  I walked away kinda wishing these films didn't happen - they really dropped the ball on something that could've / SHOULD'VE been great.  But 'making as much money as humanly possible'...as 'quickly as possible' is the obvious mission here.  They Disney XD'd the living shit outta this.

I have zero interest in seeing where it goes - it's now a mild curiosity.  I don't even care to ever see this again.  That Yoda-shit was fucking paaaainful.

"What makes a Jedi?  Eh.  We'll...prolly figure that out later.  Whatever - you do know we're winging it over here, right?"

This is what 'Rebels' is to 'Clone Wars'.  Fucking neutered.

Best stuff?  Whenever Luke opened his mouth.  Worst part?  The entire plot / theme / premise of 'everyone running around like a chicken w/out a head - picking up things to just put them right back down.  All.  Pointless.

"Had fun?  Be sure to Star Wars the next Star WarsStar Wars!"  Ka-ching!

(sigh)  RIP - I hope the future is brighter when someone really has something to say.

17 hours ago, Da Cap'n 2099 said:

It was bad and the people that liked it should feel bad.

56b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm SOOO curious the spin Disney is going to put on this film.

"It's just hardcore fans who can never be pleased."

or

"It's just internet haters."

I don't think they can afford to ever admit it's even remotely flawed in any way shape or form.  I mean, imagine Disney ever saying 'we understand sum fans were disappointed'.

Pretty sure this movie's issues aren't ever going to be directly addressed - it's all ever going to be typical Hollywood PR of 'it's divisive - because it's so brilliant.'  'Certified Fresh' IS going to be on the box - just like the Ghostbusters Reboot.

The routine of selling tripe w/ a smile is eventually gonna affect people's view of the routinely piled SW toys on shelves - every year - along w/ the yearly pimp-slap of 'be a part of the 'phenomenon' and 'legacy'.

'Star Wars' totally has the potential of just being a chore people have to deal with...annually.  They need a hiatus after this Trilogy and rethink the entire thing.

It's quite possible they've already broke it - w/ a particular part of their 'target audience / 'fanbase'.  (shrugs)  Sum just want an hour and a half of entertainment - good or bad...as long as it's big n' loud - fuck it.

Again, I can't wait to see Disney's all-time spin on this 'divisiveness' - as this film has to be sold as a masterpiece on every front from here on out...forever.  What a horrible fate.

2162iq.jpg

He absolutely doesn't try to kill his nephew though. He straight up says that moment passed in an instant and he felt regret.

Click on that and go read that whole thread. It's a really great breakdown on why Luke does what he does.

Edited by Axels

I imagine the spin that Disney is going to put out is that it was critically acclaimed and successful, which it was.  The fact that a section of the fan-base (many of whom were already whining because their precious fan-fictiony extended universe was no longer canon) is mad because they decided to give Star Wars some depth and character rather than turn it into something with the depth of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (I should clarify I mean the original cartoon just in case Benny reads this) is irrelevant.  Star Wars doesn't belong to any one group of people and despite claims to the contrary by many incensed people there's no one true fandom, if you like Star Wars for any reason you're a Star Wars fan.  Period.  The character arcs ring true to who the characters were in the original trilogy, ESPECIALLY LUKE, the only big flaw is that we'll never get any payoff on Leia now and that's not Rian Johnson's fault at all. 

It would have worked neater to switch Leia with Laura Dern's Holdo in this movie but I understand that Episode 9 was supposed to be very Leia-centric, it's a shame we'll never see that version

I never in a million years imagined a Star Wars film would be as subversive and smart as this one is, the series is not exactly rich in characterization so the fact that we got a movie that sketched everyone out so wonderfully is amazing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iambaytor said:

I imagine the spin that Disney is going to put out is that it was critically acclaimed and successful, which it was.  The fact that a section of the fan-base (many of whom were already whining because their precious fan-fictiony extended universe was no longer canon) is mad because they decided to give Star Wars some depth and character rather than turn it into something with the depth of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (I should clarify I mean the original cartoon just in case Benny reads this) is irrelevant.  Star Wars doesn't belong to any one group of people and despite claims to the contrary by many incensed people there's no one true fandom, if you like Star Wars for any reason you're a Star Wars fan.  Period.  The character arcs ring true to who the characters were in the original trilogy, ESPECIALLY LUKE, the only big flaw is that we'll never get any payoff on Leia now and that's not Rian Johnson's fault at all. 

Hide contents

It would have worked neater to switch Leia with Laura Dern's Holdo in this movie but I understand that Episode 9 was supposed to be very Leia-centric, it's a shame we'll never see that version

I never in a million years imagined a Star Wars film would be as subversive and smart as this one is, the series is not exactly rich in characterization so the fact that we got a movie that sketched everyone out so wonderfully is amazing.

Damn right

jcwd.gif

LOL - I must've watched it wrong.  I avoided all sorts of spoilers n' stuff till I saw it - seeing Mark Hamill complain at press junkets for months is all new to me.

I didn't like Homecoming, Jurassic World...Guardians 2...those are also critically acclaimed successes.  My issues w/ those movies have nothing to do w/ expectations - other than, 'I expect this shit to be 'good'!

My issues aren't fan-theories being popped or whatever - I'm not angry because they gave characters 'real depth'.

Here's my issues:

The entire plot / theme / premise of 'everyone running around like a chicken w/out a head - picking up things to just put them right back down.  All.  Pointless.   It's not a 'good' movie.

It was...bad.  Reminds me how people hated 'Man of Steel' 'cuz they got the Superman character wrong.  ALTHOUGH - despite that legit complaint - it's a good movie.  I've heard someone say "it's a good sci-fi flick - but a bad Superman flick."  This?

The movie's fundamental logic is...dumb...contradictory.  The ham-fisted humor is cringe.  There's a demo for these kinda movies - I just ain't it.

Hey - if you laughed even once during the movie - I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It deserves it's critical acclaim and success and I hope they make 20 more just like it.

It's very obvious - it's a reactionary movie.  You can feel it in the film.  They're making all this shit up as they go along.  There is no over-arching story they're building up...this is all offa the seat of their pants - and it totally shows.

People called out TFA being an unoriginal rip-off...so, they doubled down on being 'original'.  So 'original' - it lost itself.  Fear of being 'unoriginal' and suffering internet memes is what this movie is.  All instances where anyone's expectations could possibly be disappointed - we'll avoid any internet scrutiny by saying, 'sike!'  The intentions of everyone's actions are to say, 'sike'.

It's the genius of the film - it circumvents all expectations.  It's in the trailer - "This is not going to go the way you think!"  Um, I just wanted it to be good.