Hondo's Bar

Star Wars, Episode 8: The Last Jedi

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Newt, but to not even admit it was flawed seems disingenuous. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but based on what was promised in TFA vs what was delivered in TLJ, I don't think so. The out of place humor and lack of gravitas along with a silly plot device aside, I'll focus on three key characters I felt TLJ let me down on...

When it comes to Rey and Snoke, sure, I'll take on some of that disappointment as a fan. I chose to immerse myself in the fan theories and videos. No clear promises were ever made about Snoke, so his abrupt death w/out any fucking explanation of his origin is a bit on the fans. However, Lucas giving fans an entire trilogy of films on the origins of the Emperor, Darth Vader, and the Empire, would tend to lead fans to believe we'd get SOMETHING as to Snoke's origins in the films. No everything should have to be read in a book or experienced in a video game. Snoke is a key character and as such I don't think it was out of the realm of expectation to have some of his origin revealed in the films.

Rey's lineage/parentage was a bigger let down on the filmmakers' parts in my opinion. We are led to believe as audience members that there is a connectivity to be expected amongst the key characters in a STAR WARS film. Some unexpected familial bond. Rey's parent's being "nobodies" and for Kylo Ren to use the meta dialogue, "You're nobody in this story," to Rey felt like a direct slap in the faces of fans. Already fan speculation of is Kylo lying has sprung up. I'm just tapped out and don't care anymore. And that's the worst thing a storyteller can do is to not make fans care about the characters.

And we come to Luke. Where to even start? The unpasteurized blue milk? The inconsistencies in his words and actions, the inexplicable new powers, the dying from exhaustion? Yes, Luke Skywalker, last of the Jedi, died from exhaustion. *smh* Sure, Luke goes out in a way similar to Obi Wan in ANH, but for Luke it felt like such a hamfisted, clunky way. for him to exit. And I don't feel like we really ever got an explanation as to WHY the Jedi are meant to end. We're just supposed to accept that they are. Um, okay. So the heroes of the franchise for the last 40 years are now just some bullshit that needs to be replaced (with what exactly is left unclear) because Hermit Luke and Emo Ren say so? *sigh* And was it just me, or did Luke say he had "three lessons" to teach Rey but only got around to two? I'm gonna have to watch it again to better process it all, so maybe I missed that third lesson--and I'm still kind unclear what the first two lessons were, too.  

Oh, and force spirit Yoda can control lightning. Great. Have fun here, guys and gals. I'm deuces.

And I'm not "quitting" Star Wars, I'm just done expecting anything worthwhile from it's films. (Dave Filoni and the animation division still have potential.) Star Wars is so engrained into my being that even though I know SOLO is going to be a dumpster fire, I'll still be there opening weekend. Ditto for Episode IX Return of The Abrams. But I think I'm done investing so much time, energy, and discussion into this franchise. At least I hope I am because I really don't want to be this disappointed in another SW film again.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Really? 1

17 hours ago, Drifter said:
  Hide contents

Do we at least find out who or why Rey was left at Jakku?

Spoiler

I could be wrong, but I thought at one point it was mentioned that her parents were gamblers, and sold her to pay off debt? Or something along those lines? Therefore, her parents were nothing, and she's "nothing".

EDIT: They were drunks, not gamblers. Sold her for drinking money. Whoops! Sorry about that.

Edited by MetalHeart
Correction

2 hours ago, Drifter said:
  Hide contents

Do we at least find out who or why Rey was left at Jakku?

Kinda. Maybe. Depends.

2 hours ago, Axels said:

Hide contents

Let's be real. We don't know anything about Palpatine either.

Pshh.

If we learned a quarter as much about Snoke as we already know about Palpatine then I'd have been a happy camper. Things we know about Snoke: 1. he's a badass force wielder 2. he's arrogant 3. he's dead

Things we know about Palpatine.

Yeah, but a majority of that stuff isn't anything we learn in the actual movies.

Snoke was basically a mob boss (if his pimp ass gold robes weren't enough of a giveaway there).

The Republic thought they had shit under control in 1-3.

4-6 the Empire has taken control, then crumbles.

7 & 8 so far, the Force Mafia decides it's a good time to take over, and some guy named Snoke just so happens to be really fucking good at this force stuff. Scares people into following him and gets whacked by his right hand man who he treated like dog shit.

Bantha bing. Bantha boom.

4 hours ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

Hide contents

If we learned a quarter as much about Snoke as we already know about Palpatine then I'd have been a happy camper. Things we know about Snoke: 1. he's a badass force wielder 2. he's arrogant 3. he's dead

Things we know about Palpatine.

Things we knew about Palpatine in the OT:

Boss

Force wielder

Arrogant and dead.

We learn everything from the books.

Funny how people tend to forget that part.

so his abrupt death w/out any fucking explanation of his origin is a bit on the fans. Not everything should have to be read in a book. I don't think it was out of the realm of expectation to have some of his origin revealed in the films.

We didn't have an for explanation for Palpatine origin in the OT. (see above)

We didn't have an for explanation on how Vader learned about luke in the OT.

Funny how people tend to forget that part along with everything we know about the new canon

comes from the books.

However, Lucas giving fans an entire trilogy of films on the origins of the Emperor, Darth Vader, and the Empire.

The same trilogy that show just how stupid everyone was and contradict stuff said in the OT?

That trilogy needs to be forgotten.

We are led to believe as audience members that there is a connectivity to be expected amongst the key characters in a STAR WARS film. Some unexpected familial bond.

Good idea.

Lets make every fucking jedi a skywalker.

Not once in the movies did they teased she was a Skywalker or a Kenobi

Not every Jedi or character has be connected.

Deal with it and move on.

Rey's parent's being "nobodies" and for Kylo Ren to use the meta dialogue, "You're nobody in this story," to Rey felt like a direct slap in the faces of fans

No it wasn't and see above.

the inexplicable new powers

He could have learn that in the 30 year gap from the OT.

the dying from exhaustion?

Luke projects himself literally across the galaxy.

I'm going to chalk that up as a major strain on his body due to his age.

Sure, Luke goes out in a way similar to Obi Wan in ANH, but for Luke it felt like such a hamfisted, clunky way. for him to exit.

Your upset that he didn't go down fighting?

His exit is literally a callback to ANH.

And I don't feel like we really ever got an explanation as to WHY the Jedi are meant to end.

We did get one.

Maybe you should pay attention to the movie next time.

So the heroes of the franchise for the last 40 years are now just some bullshit that needs to be replaced

Everyone story from the OT has been told.

Fucking get over it and move on.

Edited by Newtype
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

In regards to Luke dying from the exhaustion from his "Force Projection", there was some precedent set earlier in the film that "projections" could cause physical impact.  During Rey and Kylo's force links (or as Panch brilliantly coined "Force Time") they did establish that there could be a physical evidence of the link on either end, with the water from the Achtoo ocean spray hitting Kylo in the face in one scene (I have a feeling they might have alluded to this in another of the scenes as well, but I don't recall).  If we consider what Luke did at the end to be an amplified version of that communication, then perhaps his demise was not due to exhaustion, but from some kind of feedback reaction from getting cut with a lightsaber twice.   Of course, he was also shot to hell by all those AT-M6s too....Look I'm not happy about it either way, it was just something I noticed during my viewing.

I would not listen to anybody and just form your own opinion. Its such a 50/50 shot. I have a feeling this will be one of those that will be more appreciated later. (Didnt Empire get kind of cruddy reviews at first?) Of course, they may reverse whatever they did in this movie with the next so who knows.

Either way, I recommend it just cause I'm curious what everyone thinks. Even if it is disappointing they aren't liking it as much.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Newtype said:

Hide contents

Things we knew about Palpatine in the OT:

Boss

Force wielder

Arrogant and dead.

We learn everything from the books.

Funny how people tend to forget that part.

We didn't have an for explanation for Palpatine origin in the OT. (see above)

We didn't have an for explanation on how Vader learned about luke in the OT.

Funny how people tend to forget that part along with everything we know about the new canon

comes from the books.

The same trilogy that show just how stupid everyone was and contradict stuff said in the OT?

That trilogy needs to be forgotten.

Good idea.

Lets make every fucking jedi a skywalker.

Not once in the movies did they teased she was a Skywalker or a Kenobi

Not every Jedi or character has be connected.

No it wasn't and see above.

He could have learn that in the 30 year gap from the OT.

Luke projects himself literally across the galaxy.

I'm going to chalk that up as a major strain on his body due to his age.

Your upset that he didn't go down fighting?

His exit is literally a callback to ANH.

We did get one.

Maybe you should pay attention to the movie next time.

Everyone story from the OT has been told.

Fucking get over it and move on.

Damn, Gina!  And someone actually upvoted that aggro, snipey shit? Yeesh. So much for fostering a more welcoming atmosphere at Hondo's.

12 hours ago, C_U_SPACECOWBOY said:

Reveal hidden contents

About that:

Rey and Kylo see eachother the first time he says;

How are you doing this? The effort alone should kill you?

Snoke claims he was the "switchboardForce operator." Fucking all-powerful Sith Lord can connect folks on the other ends of the galaxy (and doesn't know where Rey and Luke are at) but can't sense Kylo spinning a Lightsaber that's sitting right next to him? Gtfoh.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099
  • Upvote 1

Was I just not paying attention during the early aughts or does there seem to be more outrage about this movie than the prequel trilogy? I mean those movies were almost unwatchably bad but I feel like I'm seeing people more vocally upset about this one. Is there just a higher bar now?

Also I can totally understand what Panch said in the shoutbox. People are pretty let down but it's understandable given the length of the franchise and how much time/money people have invested. I've never loved anything that long. It's really something!

i get that too...but some of the fanbase was mad as hell when this new trilogy started & undid all the fanfic-y books that no one else read, like they'd had decades to just write their own later chapters and somehow assumed the franchise would one day follow suit.  that's crazy. 

• Upvote 1

My wife explained her outrage to me... the prequels were bad and didn't add much, but they didn't take anything away from the original series either; seems these sequels are detracting from what people enjoyed about the original films. I've noticed that they are literally re-writing the meaning behind the actions of the original trilogy and are destroying the character development of the primary cast. She specifically ranted that "They went through too much shit for THAT to be their happily ever after." And keep in mind we haven't seen the latest one, this is just about The Force Awakens. I'm almost scared to take her to The Last Jedi.

Edited by Drifter
  • Like 1