Hondo's Bar

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3

I've really grown to love Bautista throughout this whole ordeal. His loyalty to his friend is really sweet. I know he had film roles before GotG but it really seemed like this role was a breakout for him. James wrote a character that really played to his strengths. Drax is an absolute joy. I hate thinking Bautista's heart won't be in it with another director but I don't blame him one bit.

• Upvote 1

First off, got to defend Rosanne at least on one point. She didn't threaten to bake Jews in an oven. She as a Jew (or occasional Jew if you want to be cynical) did an interview and posed for photos with an acerbically satirical Jewish lifestyle magazine. I seriously question the integrity of a journalist that reports it as such. Also, I liked that show, the original and the reboot and wish we lived in an age where an actor's ability to pull off comedic and dramatic roles was seen as entirely separate from their ability to have a coherent opinion on current affairs. Like, it turns out fucking ALF was racist between takes, and we were blissfully unaware of it. Well, most of us were, I'm imagining a hypothetical black kid in the audience that day who forever more saw ALF suction cupped to car windows mouthing the word "n_____"

As for shock comedy in general, maybe it's going to die down because it's got to die down. Most of it bores me, generally because I'm hard to shock, especially if it's coming from one note offence dispensers. Bill Hicks, Charlie Brooker and the like, I see as full range humourists, they can still be cutting because they delve into something real and relevant, they're not just rendering the profane innocuous, it's funny because it hurts a little. 

There is the aspect of age, both in years alive and the age we've been born too. I think of my childhood, growing up in a Catholic country, where shit like this just wasn't talked about. We had our rules and our boundaries and we had sexless moral guardians called priests, then, and you might be ahead of me here, we found out they weren't so sexless and they weren't our guardians. The world changed, and we all realised that there was more to the world than we were told. It wasn't a culture of vulgarity that enabled their crimes, it was politeness, a conspiracy of politeness. But years pass, and it seems like blue humour hasn't chased the evil out of society, so I can only imagine what it's like for the generation that's coming up behind us to live in this vulgar new world where nothing is sacred and seemingly nothing gets fixed. 

Edited by Jont

• 2 weeks later...

in case anyone was still holding out hope 

Variety: Disney stands firm in James Gunn not returning to GotG3

After a strong push to get James Gunn back as director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” following his firing from the project, Disney and Marvel are standing by their decision to not reinstate him as helmer for the next installment. The decision came following a meeting between Gunn and studio chairman Alan Horn.

Gunn was let go from the project nearly a month ago when dozens of Gunn’s tweets from nearly a decade ago came to light. The so-called joke tweets, about pedophilia and rape, were recently resurfaced by alt-right agitators. The studio acted quickly to remove Gunn from directing the third installment, believing the comments were unacceptable in the Me Too era and were not in line with Disney’s family-friendly image.

Since then, support for Gunn has been widespread, especially from the “Guardians” cast. Cast members including Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana asked for Gunn to be reinstated in an open letter.

Gunn and his UTA reps pushed hard for him to be given a second chance, and Horn decided to take a courtesy meeting on Tuesday to clear the air and see if there was a possibility of Gunn returning to the franchise. Though the meeting was described as civil and professional, sources say that Horn stood by his decision to not reinstate Gunn as director.

Insiders say Marvel president Kevin Feige was out of town and unable to attend. Sources added that while it was rumored that Feige was pushing to bring Gunn back, Feige stands by the studio’s decision to not bring back the “Guardians” director for the third installment.

Spokespeople for Disney and Marvel declined to comment.

Once Feige is back in town, Disney and Marvel will continue the search for a new director. It is still unknown if the production schedule will be affected by the change in the director’s seat. The film was expected to go into production at the start of 2019, and while sources have stressed that Gunn’s original script will be used for the next film, it is still very likely that whoever is brought in will still need to put a polish on it in order to add their stamp to the project.

9AxFChS.gif

ive been trying to reframe this in my mind and think things like...well, maybe the next person will get gamora right, if they bring her back

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Adam McKay May Direct Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3

We'll start here by saying this is far from a done deal and more just about conversations that Adam McKay has been having lately. But speaking to the Happy Sad Confused podcast, on the occasion of his excellent Dick Cheney biopic Vice's release, McKay revealed that he's been having ongoing discussions with Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios about possible projects for some time, and that the third Guardians Of The Galaxy might be something he'd find difficult to turn down.

will ferrel rumored to play drax 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I figured this would come out next week when the Disney/Fox merger was signed in blood but I'm happy to see it now.  Glad to see all the things that were apparently happening (nobody was seriously being approached to direct and they've been biding their time for a few months now) were in fact happening.  Hopefully Bautista won't be penalized for his vocal opposition.  And hey, we're getting a James Gunn Sucide Squad movie out of the deal too, suck on THAT you Nazi fucks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...