Hondo's Bar

Best DVDs to Own

I was thinking, as my DVD collection is growing i was wondering what you lot thought are good DVD purchases.

I have the Godfather Trilogy, LOTR - Fellowship Extended Edition, Blade 1 & 2, Apocalypse Now - Redux, The Matrix (its a must have), Pulp Fiction - Collectors Edition, Spiderman, The Evil Dead Trilogy, Con Air, Traffic, Snatch, Lock Stock the Directors Cut, Terminator 1, Terminator 2 - Ultimate Edition, Gladiator, Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits, and Oasis - There & Then.

So what other recommendations are out there........

Oh and Platoon, how could i forget that!!!

Edited by soldier of fortune

Buffy, seasons 1, 2, and 3 ('course, they'll set ya back $30-$50 apiece...

The X-Files...they're through about season 8, aren't they?

See, these are pretty much my viewing habits...one's gone now (R.I.P.) and the other's going after this season (farewell, ol' friend), but there're always DVDs and reruns... :')

I like the ones with scenes you just feel like watchin again sometimes....Fight Club, Braveheart, Good, Bad & The Ugly, etc. Its also good to have ones like the Kevin Smith ones, a comedy or two like Snatch etc for showing company.

Were not listing all our DVD's are we? Cause ive got a bunch but if Jax & Silent Bob do that this thing's gonna give Blargh a run for its money.

The XFiles is up to season 7 on dvd. I'm still on season 1 (sigh). I think some of the best to own are...well, any of Kevin Smith's. His dvds are always well worth anything you pay for them. I'd say...The Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, the Back to the Future Trilogy, any director's cut version of James Cameron's movies (ie: Aliens, T2, The Abyss) and the Almost Famous director's cut are all great dvds to own.

By the way, SOF, where did you get a director's cut of Lock Stock?

On a recent visit to the UK, i got that, Snatch, and the collectors edition of Pulp Fiction in WHSmith, they have a website, that you can buy things off www.whsmith.co.uk i think it is!

Not listing all of them, but what you'd recommend personally.

I'm on the look out for the Die Hard Trilogy, Alien Saga (Alien1 - 4), Rambo!!

Btw the directors cut of Lock Stock is pretty good!!

Buffy yeah that'd be good, but i'm looking out for the Simpsons and Family Guy, they'd appeal more to me than buffy.

Yeah the Alien saga is a great one. I think they recently released a box set of special editions of all four movies. Whatever you do, though, make sure you get the speciel edition cut of Aliens. It's got a lot of good stuff added back into it, kinda like they did with the special editions of T2 and The Abyss.

Evil Dead: The Book of the dead DVD is really cool, the casing is great, looks like the book of the dead and the extras are really cool, Bruce campbell himself went out and made a documentary about crazy fans on the DVD.

Other good ones are criterion stuff, The Third Man comes with three of orson welle's radio productions of the story, the beastie bpoys video anthology includes like 3 remixes to every song, and a bunch of commentarries and alternate video tracks with behind the scenes stuff and alternate versions.

THe JFK dvd is kinda cool because oliver stone gives a really angry commentarry that gets cut off after the credits run...

Well my evil dead trilogy is pretty good, i have the first one, which is totally uncut, the second, with pretty poor extras (but it was cheap) and the thrid one, two disc edition, which is pretty damn cool!!

Hey SB, know any website (trusted one) where i can actually buy the total special edition alien saga, because the one they retail over here has only aliens special edition!! out of the four!!

Fight Club, Harry Potter, Monsters Inc, South Park Movie (that movie just NEVER gets old), Spy Kids, Toy Story 1&2, and I can't recommend enought The Weird Al Yankovic Music Video Collection. Great laughs over and over again. It doesn't have The Saga Begins and It's All About The Pentiums, but you can download thouse, or do what I did, buy his Live DVD, which includes those two videos.

Hmmm, I can't find it anywhere, either, sof, sorry. Maybe it was a future release that I read about. I'll let you know if I see something about it again.

And I think any Pixar movie is worth getting on dvd. They pack their dvds with everything you could ever want to know about their movies...just about.

And yeah, 2Track, Affleck is damn funny on commentary tracks. You should hear his Sling Blade impression on the commentary for Armageddon, the Criterion Edition. Now I'm not suggesting you go out and buy Armageddon or anything...but if you know someone who owns it anyway, you should give it a listen.

"Yew shouldnta dun that...he jus a lel boya..."

Yeah, Evening with Kevin Smith is funny shit - its a collection of his public forum shit...and Bob's right, havin seem him when he was in FL (same as SB), you get a preview of what its like, really funny shit..if youre a fan of the guy as a director/comic writer or just he himself, its worth catching.

Sorry to interrupt your Kevin S. warblings but I'm just wondering a few things...

Anyone know if the Texas Chainsaw Massacre specail edition boxset thing is any good?

Also, I could use a favour. For any of you who visit some pretty extensive film websites, has there been any mention of a Special Edition Donnie Darko DVD, other than the bog-standard release just out?