Hondo's Bar

Emulator systems & hybrids - NES, SNES, Genesis etc

The NZA

Would you pay $50 for such a device?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

nintendologo.gif -

I would like to open this letter by reaffirming my loyalty to you. Should our countries go to war again, rest assured i will stand as Shingeru Miyamoto's personal gaurd. But enough treason.

I've been thinking: you've been tossing in 8-bit classics in your Gamecube games lately as bonuses: Animal Crossing had a few, Metroid, etc. Sega has recently developed a Soinc Collection game for your system (sans Sonic CD, sadly) and is making a pretty penny off of that. Even struggling industries like comic books are making a killing off of milking my generation for retro value with rehashed He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers etc.

Let's not beat around the bush here...i know hardware's not cheap to produce, but i really think there's a market in a Nintendo cartridge hybrid, like a Super Nintendo Entertainment System 64 or something. A small, classic looking NES type box with ports for NES, SNES and N64 games, with a classic gray, black, and red buttons special Gamecube controller for the lot of em. 4-player ports, and the original enginges/sound cards etc for all the systems under the hood - that kinda hardware is dirt cheap nowadays and you know it.

There are actual websites of us fans working on such things, but this could make you $, help push the old carts that Toys R Us and the other big retail markets cant even give away for $5-10. Retro value aside, this thing would become a big party system i bet, and you dont even have to update graphics or sound like you did with Super Mario All-Stars. Seriously, we all thought the newer generation of gamers would be spoiled by the amazingly beautfiul CG's and such they get in their games, but they know fun, and they still play our 16-bit and otherwise systems.

Im not talkin Atari here (unless youve bought them, and can use that license too, that'd be cool but i wont push it). Im talkin a classic NES like box with the old logos, a chance to play old Mario, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Zelda, etc along with thier SNES remakes - not to mention Contra III, Super Castlevania, etc...you guys stayed on top so long for a reason. Imagine all of us runnin around to garage sales, tryin to buy back power gloves & power pads, see if ROB still works, locating cartridge cleaners etc - and not having to blow on the system, hoping to not get a blue screen! Sure weve got emulators, but its not the same...while were at it, you could put a small hard drive in there, let us save the game whenver we want, like emulators do, making old games actually beatable without a game genie.

It could be cheap. It'd be an amazing holiday gift, since many of us still have a few games to load up on it. It'd be hot right now; hell us old school gamers have this whole dork culture thing goin. And you could start the party right with a 3 or more in one cart packed in.

I know you wanna focus on the Gamecube & Gambe Boy Advance SP (and a fine job on both), but this wouldnt take much, and as soon as its out the door, youre done, it's got access to a library of hundreds upon hundreds of games, you dont need to make more there. Just make it happen.

PS even when i bought Super Mario All-Stars on opening day for over $50 and then you mailed my neighbor DJ Ario X a copy the next day for free (by accident, we assume) i forgave you, cause the game was great. Do the right thing.

oldgoomba.gifoldmario.giflogos_sealofquality.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS and please let Silent Bob & the 4 other people out there that still have the Super Scope and all 2 (3?) games for it work on our new hybird system. Thank you. :heart:

PS what should we name our hybrid, outside of SNES64? The Dolphin? What else would you want this magical system to do (within reason)?

0816_mariofireball.gif

The SNES was a great machine. International Superstar Soccer (a game that I followed through to ISS64 to ISS on PS and now the ISS and Pro-Evolution series on PS2) and Mario Cart are my excuses for failing my leaving certificate (though my familia weren't impressed with that excuse). I'd love a game of Super Star Wars now...

SNES was more like...

mariokart.gifgames_lttp_linkslashes.gifmet_samus_run.gif0816_mariosmallsmw.gifgames_guileflashkick.gifpunchout.gif

and see with my hybrid, you could play all those...especially Super Star Wars. Once you got past the controls, it was a cool game, great graphics & alla that.

Let's throw a hypothetical out there tho: if this system came out, able to play NES, SNES & N64, with a controller, maybe demo cart with a few games on it etc for @ $50, who'd pick one up?

Damn..score one for the retro market. I should make this a poll....if penny-pinchers like Junker would pony up for it, i think its a worthy idea. Im interested to see what Spiffy & others say...many say theyd dig such a thing but im not sure they'd shell out for it, ya know? I smell a poll comin on...

Ok, so two for $50....this turns into a poll soon.

Game cleaning kit is an excellent idea...had another idea bout it tho:

back in the day, in very limited quantities, Blockbuster had a cartridge copying device, mainly for N64 games i believe. The idea was, once it verified an original copy of a game, it could copy the data to a blank cart (for rental purposes). They were hot on the black market, soon recalled i wanna say.

So...what if inside this device is just a decent sized hard drive (along with the original CPU's and such)..it verifies you have the cart, downloads it to itself, then you dont have to maintain the carts anymore, as long as the drive holds.

Sure, sure were all gonna be swapping carts, but again theyre not makin new $ off the software most likely, so why not? Im not sure how realisitc an idea it is; just wanted to throw it out there....

Ok, merged "Dear Nintendo" thread with this poll....im trying to find out just who would pay for such a device, who wouldnt, and why. Would you pay $50 for an official Nintendo hybrid that plays NES, SNES & N64 cartridges?

Do you still have the old games/periphrials laying around? Would you be up for checking nearby Gamestop's and such to buy up old games for $10-15, or is the nottalgia not worth it?

nes.gif + snes.gif + n64.gif = consoles_nescube.gif:D

ok.... since we have a thread about roms....

it's a great idea. i'd only buy the device if it had games built in and the ability to add more. fuck the game cleaner. i don't mind the price at all. i would say 125'd be pushin it. But if i gotta hunt down cartridges, clean em up, do a rub-rub on/off reset on the third try bs, i'm not gonna bother.

note: the dreamcast has a snes emulator that plays snes roms, but it's still in need of a faster engine. it plays ram hogs like street fighter at 1/4 speed.

I was meanin to look more into your DC SNES emulator...sorry to hear its got its problems tho.

So, how does that idea sound, the intenral hard drive thing to keep from maintaining the cartridges? Me & Spiffy seem to dig it, but im sure there's flaws im not thinkin of - like asking all the 3rd party licenses (those that still exists) if they have to...does anyone else think its a feesable idea, or would the companies be too worried about losing $ off products they no longer profit from?

leftguy.gifrightguy.gif

the games are pretty much history. it's not like we're talkin psone. we're talkin old school nintendo. only retrogamers apply here and i'm sure they aren't gonna be too happy goin garage sale/eb bargain bin huntin or doin the swap a roo trick dance. it's just not worth it. hike up the price a little more and save us the trouble. most of those companies have changed so much or just plain went out of business. there is pretty much no way that companies are still making money from these old games. granted, it's going to be a total bitch with royalties with copyrights for individuals' ideas.... (assuming they didn't pass thier rights to the game development company) i guess that's the main reason they haven't done it.

another big reason they haven't done it is that companies like to cash in on compilations. This is why nintendo goes after emulation sites. Companies like to cash in every once in a while in retro fever. They like to keep the possibility of releasing their old school games as a budget title open. Sounds stupid, but lets say they make another ninja gaiden game, and it's huge, becomes an enormous best seller. Well, they could cash in big time after that by releasing the old ones as a compilation on computer, or one of the systems. So while they're not makin money off these games, they could be in the future.

Hmm...two very valid complaints. As for Spiffy's: what if said system had all the first party (games done by Nintnedo) built in, to start with? That's all the mario classics, Zelda 1-2, Donkey kong series, Metriod, Punch-Out!!!, Kid Icarus, etc...that's a lot of games by itself, lot of favorites.

To replace the swap idea (tho id like to leave it as an option) maybe Nintendo could spare the one programmer this would take, and lets say Capcom or Konami give the OK, boom, release a cart with all their games on it to download. The only two flaws i see here are 1) people can easily just swap the cart around (which could be stopped by seriel #'s or somethin) and 2) What junker said: companies do like to keep their options open to milk their classics; christ, Namco does it all the time (5 greatests hits volumes on the PS1 that couldve fit on one disc). 'S a very good point, man.

I think the only way to beat that is to show profits right now for said games, and i think the licensed carts might do it. Sure, it doesnt have to be all their games, just keep milking the licneses if they want: say, $30 for a Konami Castlevania compilation download cart, maybe tag on Contra 1 & 2 for good measure (unlockable games or soemthing).

I wish i knew more of creator rights in the videogame arena....Nintendo always kept 100% rights on their shit, but im wondering: say, a company like Sammy, i dont think they exist anymore, had Milton's Secret Castle & some fun ones...do the rights of the game default to Nintnedo? Cause that could get messy i guess...

Anyway, the idea evolves a bit, becomes more specific...does it strike you as more feesable or less realistic?

Guest Yahve

very doable, its one of those things that just arent done because investors see that its not as profitable as sticking their money elsewhere. For true fanboys, they will allways have their emulators running rigged with real controlers, with ROM carts if they want to use their own hardware. A great idea but just lacking some $$ behind it.

• 1 year later...