Hondo's Bar

Ask Benny anything

Jumbie

anything -but- bulletproof. whatever's opposite of bulletproof. a lot of women have two or three times when ovulation can occur, so yeah. another wrench in that. coupled with common irregular periods, etc... plus for this method to at all approach reliability, you need to take your basal temperature every day and chart it, or monitor either your cervical mucus or hormones. ... think i'll pass.

Heh... Good ole' Jack Chick... He just loves Catholics too... (He does make a nice fairy tale doesn't he... not! Abortion is wrong, but he's going about it all wrong...)

Check out his views on:

The Eucharist

The Catholic Church in general

Salvation

I get a laugh out of reading those...

Anywho... The point is not to be bulletproof, but to be open to the will of God.

Tomorrow... The Petrine Arguement!

So Benny, what is the official church position on transvestitism? If it's not involving any homosexuality, sexual provocation, etc. If you're just a guys who likes to dress up like a chick, otherwise you're not doing anything else wrong, is that bad?

I know you've mentions in years past that sex change operations are wrong because you're rejecting what God made you. That if you were a guy that felt like a woman on the outside, it wasn't God that fucked up making you a man physicvally, it's you that sick for feeling this way, and you have to learn to be ok with it and accept the way God made you.

But it just wanting to take on a different gender role a problem? Did the Bible ever say "Dresses and make-up are for chicks, suits and ties are for dudes!" Is rejecting gender roles just going against society, or God? Because gender roles are different in different Christian societies.

If so, is this where the Catholic church's opposition ot feminism stems from? Women shouldn't want equal pay for equal work because equal pay isn't a woman's place, and a woman should know her place, below a man and making less than him?

And what is incest? Mother-son, Father-daughter, and Brother-sister are all obviously incest, but does the Catholic church see cousins getting married as sinful? What about second cousins? In-laws?

The difference between venial vs. mortal is? Both can be forgiven right? And which sins ae mortal and which are venial is not in scripture right, that's papal decries, right. Adn the entire concept of mortal vs venial sin is also not in scripture, right?

Hmm... I'll have to look, I'm pretty sure the concept is at least implied in Scripture. However, I know the Papacy is definitely in Scripture.

Matthew 16: [18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.

[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

The word for rock and Peter are one and the same in Jesus' language, aramaic. If you watched the Passion of the Christ, you hear Peter being called Kepha. The same word for rock. Also in the Greek, the word used for this means "this very". Let's read the text again:

[18] And I tell you, you are Kepha, and on this very Kepha I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.

[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

There's alot more to this text reinforcing this point, but I only want to post, not rewrite my research essay.

Oh, and here's the quote from Scripture:

1 John 5:[16] If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that.

[17] All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

Jax, with reguards to crossdressing, it is wrong because rather than trying to live the life God has given him, the man seeks to become something which he is not. If one loves and trusts in God with all their heart, they will seek to do God's will trusting that in His infnite love they were made the way they are for a purpose. To not live up to ones gender is to reject the gift God has given you for something you like better.

Where did you come up with those theories about the Church's view of women? If you really want to know where the Church stands on this, read this.

I think it's funny how ever since Jumbie brought this thread back up people have started their own "Ask me" threads. :D

PS Jumbie, I haven't forgotten you. I just haven't been able to find anything to base a response on yet. When I find it, if I find it, I'll post here. Until then, my answer is... The descendnacy from Adam could not have been incestuous, and I don't know when incest entered into the picture.

Jax, with reguards to crossdressing, it is wrong because rather than trying to live the life God has given him, the man seeks to become something which he is not. If one loves and trusts in God with all their heart, they will seek to do God's will trusting that in His infnite love they were made the way they are for a purpose. To not live up to ones gender is to reject the gift God has given you for something you like better.

But God gave you only a sex (male or female). It is your culture that gives you a gender (masculine or feminine). Gender is simply the societally approval roles attributed to your sex, which is biologically determined (which by the way, millions of people, that's not an exaggeration, are born sexually ambigious). That's all gender is: what society says you should do and how society says you should act, based on biological sex.

If a woman lives in a society that condemns women from getting an education, getting an education for a woman would be a violation of her gender role, not her biological sex. A dude dressing up a dress is no different from that, especially considering the Bible says nothing about whether not dudes wearing dresses is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be Saint Jude

saintj03.jpg

Also known as Saint Jude Thaddeus. Here's some interesting info:

Memorial

28 October (Roman Church); 19 June (Eastern Church)

Son of Cleophas, who died a martyr, and Mary who stood at the foot of the Cross, and who annointed Christ's body after death. Brother of Saint James the Lesser; nephew of Mary and Joseph; blood relative of Jesus Christ, and reported to look a lot like him. May have been a fisherman.

Writer of canonical letter. Preached in Syria, Mesopotamia, and Persia with Saint Simon. Healer. Exorcist. Could exorcise pagan idols, which caused the demons to flee and the statues to crumble.

His patronage of lost or impossible causes traditionally derives from confusion by many early Christians between Jude and Judas; not understanding the difference between the names, they never prayed for Jude's help, and devotion to him became something of a lost cause.

Died

beaten to death with a club, then beheaded post-mortem in 1st century Persia; relics at Saint Peter's, Rome, at Rheims, and at Toulouse, France

Name Meaning

sweetness or gentleness of character (Thaddeus)

Patronage

desperate situations, forgotten causes, hospital workers, hospitals, impossible causes, lost causes, diocese of Saint Petersburg, Florida

Also he wrote this Epistle in the Bible. I assure you it's short, and well worth the read. For more information on Saint Jude, click here.

Also, I have special connections with Saint Jude:

1) I was Baptized at St. Jude's Episcoplaian Church in Franklyn, New Hampshire.

2) My parents were married at the same parish.

3) My grandmother, though she has left the Church, still asks for his intercession on our family, especially on me.

Unfortunately that Parish closed a couple of years ago. I've been trying to get my Baptismal Certificate ever since, with not much luck.

Edited by SSJ4Benny

Def,

Why do you take me for a shovanist? Just because guys shouldn't try to be like girls and vice-versa, does not mean both do not deserve equal dignity...

Because you're saying men and women should conform to their gender roles, regardless of what that specific society they are in says that their gender roles are? What if the gender roles in a society are not one of "equal dignity"? What if you are in a society that, as your role as a feminine women, you must never stand up against your husband? There would certainly be cases in which, as a good Catholic, you would be obligated to stand up to your husband, should he be committing acts which you, as a good Catholic, feel are abominations.

Let's say you marry a doctor (a good Christian occupation), and during the course of your marriage, he decided to open a practice: a woman's clinic! He preforms abortion left and right! Dozens a day! He even gets government subsidized because this imaginary country is currently under a evil leftist regime! So now, even poor girls can get abortions! But under the gender roles of the culture in which this good Catholic woman lives in, she is not supposed to question her husband! So she idly stands by, approving of her husband's practice! Why shouldn't she? Her trustworthy priest, Father Benny told her that attempting to take on culturally masculine roles is trying to be something other than what God made her. She doesn't disaprove of what God made her. She doesn't want to defy God and his will. God said she's not to behave in anyway other than the way her culture says she ought to behave, and Father Benny confirmed this with her, so she goes to her husband's woman's clinic grand opening, to help him hang up the 50 foot banner: Abortions for Everybody!

Is that right, Benny?

What if the gender roles in a society are not one of "equal dignity"?

The the gender roles would need to change a bit. Not so one gets confused with the other, but so that they're equally dignified.

Women can have men's jobs, and men can have women's jobs. That's fine. As far as dress is concerned, one should dress so they're dignified. Guys wearing dresses is not dignifiying to the guy, so therefore he shouldn't do it.

As far as women speaking up, they should! Women Saints in the past have chided and scolded and corrected Popes! ...and they did the right thing! In fact that's one of the big reasons some of them are canonized!