Hondo's Bar

Invader Zim

YuffieBunny

Haven't seen this cartoon but massive fans of both Jhonen Vasquez and Roman Dirge (creators of 'Johnny the Homicidal Maniac' and 'Lenore' comics respectively) who I believe have both worked on the cartoon.

Both have wicked, slightly unnerving senses of humour so imagine Invader Zim has a similar off-the-wall streak running through it.

Gonna visit my local Blockbuster see if I can pick up a DVD or something of it.

p.s. btw Lenore rocks my world, people should seriously check it out at your local comic shop.

• 3 months later...

Lenore I think has more childlike naivity whereas Johnny is all a little bit caught up in philosophy. Lenore definately trumps. Roman Dirge also fits in some other funny little stories in - including my personal favourites of 'things that have happened to me' (think urinals that take your photos in Japan) and 'The Cat with the really big head'.

• 1 month later...

Managed to find this in Blockbuster like a week ago and kept it for as long as possible. It's so wicked. Can't help thinking there is gonna be some messed up kids after watching this, but damn its fun.

Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!

I miss my cupcake

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love this show. I got it a few days ago on DVD for my son, who just turned 4. now mind you, back when the show first came out, I refused to even watch it. I mean c'mon. How could i possibly enjoy something geared towards 3-11 year olds? I hate Spongebob after all. So i pop t in, and my son and i sit down to watch. Next thing you know he's sleeping and the first disc is done. I put in the second disc...the next season...

There are dishes to be done, the cat to feed, babies in some strange country I'll never go to starving... and i'm watching Zim.

I love Gir. he's so cute and he acts just ike my 4 year old! It's as if the creator, writer, and director capture the essence of the simple, innocent, and inquiring mind (not to forget stubborn, lying etc...) of my kid!

So anyways, this thread isn't about Zim. or how incredibly awesome it is, but how a stupid cartoon caught me off gaurd years after it was pulled off the air. Has that ever happened to anyone else?? or am i just fucking crazy...

I know. it's the latter. I can live with that.

• 1 month later...

Eh, Nick and his thread merging-ness, confuses the shit out of me. MAN WAS NOT MEANT TO PLAY GOD, DAMMIT!

Anyhow I had a point here.... oh yeah.

Invader Zim is one of my all-time favorite cartoons (If not my all-time favorite shows period). It came out around the same time as Spongebob and I saw the two as parallels. Zim was witty in a really dumb way, and Sponebog was dumb in a really witty way. Well Zim was either cancelled (or Jhonen Vasquez's squadron of teenage urban vampire fangirls got so ravenous that he went into hiding, not sure) either way I was so pissed when they took this off the air and Spongebob got like 5 more years of gay-subtext and jokes even my nephew doesn't laugh at. I still need to pick up the DVD box set put it right between my copy of The Tick Season 1 and the Transformers Movie. :pinch: Now if you'll exscuse me I've admitted too much so I need to go eat red meat and hit things so people will forget how geeky I am.

• 1 year later...

Now that we has Nickelodian I'm seeing more cartoons, and this blew me away. It's so fucking funny. Standout for Shane & I so far is the teacher. "Today we're gonna call home to your parents to tell them to love you less.". I didn't have any hope at all for the youth off today or their cartoons before now.

What, it was only a limited run? I'd wiki it but I don't know if it has any kind of continuity that couold be spoiled(doesn't seem like it but I wanna pick up the seasons on DVD).

I picked up the entire series (called The Complete Invasion) for about $20, then of course I wasn't subject to astronomical Australian inflation but it's cheaper and easier to buy them all at once. There's a kind of continuity but not really most of the episodes are pretty stand-alone. The one-hour Halloween episode is still probably the best of all of them though.

Et tu, Baytor? I thought I could only expect crap from you in regards to my fanboyishness, and everyone else about our terrible import economy. How the tables have turned...

PS_thanks for the heads-up though.

Edited by Skeeter

The show is funny but I enjoy it because it's the closest thing we have to a JTHM cartoon. I really wish he was able to write more, but due to not having steady time slot it just fell out of Nickeloden. I kinda wish the episodes were more of a series rather then stand alone jokes but thats his style though. Honestly he needs to write a JTHM cartoon and put it on Adult Swim or something.

I love Zim but I really dislike GIR. I feel he is way to random for me.

Edited by Osidius the Emphatic

• 8 years later...