Hondo's Bar

british music

Nanno

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its a bit of a shame whats happened to the 'phonics. Some ill-advised Tom Jones covers later and a little bit of a joke among British indie fans.

However, like SoF said, Performance and Cocktails and Word Gets Around are amazing albums (they are the first two). Bit downhill afterward.

Incidently, Stereophonics were the first band i ever saw live so have a special place in my heart.

well i'll always love and adore the sex god that is kelly jones (thats a guy incase anyone thinks otherwise)and their music. and i just know that their new album will be great.

apart from being a 'phonics freak sof is turning me in an oasis loving maniac, we're off to see them next year that was his second main xmas present from me!!

apart from being a 'phonics freak sof is turning me in an oasis loving maniac, we're off to see them next year that was his second main xmas present from me!!

Is that right, i guess i will have to start playing non stop Foo Fighters and Prodigy now as they are headlining the Oxegen Festival next year.

More info here

I will admit though that they are good live, but when you see a band live 3 times in the space of 14 months, it kinda puts you off for a while!!!

It's sad that we usually only hear music that gets brought to the states. If we didn't have a trade system going, we would never have heard of Monty Python, Bjork, or Prodigy...and we never would have seen TATU make out...thank God for...um...sharing?

What about Prozzak, I have a couple of their songs on my CDs, I think Omabolashire and Strange Disease. They sound like their from somewhere in Europe. I can never tell accents when people sing.

You would never guess Shirley Manson was Scottish if you didn't hear her speaking voice....:D

Haven't heard of any of those, but then again I haven't read NME in a fair while. Used to like that mag, now use it to wipe my arse. :D

Idlewild's new single getting first airing on Steve Lamacq tonight (Radio 1) I believe. Gonna be in class but will stream the show later. Can't bloody wait. :D

Idlewild have new stuff coming out do they, excellent, thats another band i wanna catch live this year.

Went to see them last yr with KoS and Jont, excellent gig, almost lost my glasses, however some dude in front of me lost his phone!!!!

It was like in slow motion, watching it hit the ground then get trampled!! :D

From Idlewild's website:

New Single & Album news...

The new single, 'Love Steals Us From Loneliness' will be released on 21st February 2005

on 2 Track CD, Enhanced CD and Limited 7" Vinyl.

The follow-up to 2002's hit album 'The Remote Part' will be titled

'Warnings/Promises' and is now confirmed for release on 7th March 2005!

Just scored a coupla tickets to see Idlewild on the 23rd, all-acoustic set with songs from all their albums, including the new one! Sweet! :D

Just scored a coupla tickets to see Idlewild on the 23rd, all-acoustic set with songs from all their albums, including the new one! Sweet!

Yeah yeah, my sister got a ticket too. Don't rub it in :D

Heard the new single Love Srteals us from Loneliness. First impression was that it was ok but not great. However, both Lamacq and my sister have said its a grower so need to give it a few more listens I reckon.

Here's hoping they do a U.S. tour while I'm in Boston so I can see them in a tiny venue. That would be great.

Also got my fingers crossed they don't go all REM ballady and still rock out a bit on the album.

Yeah yeah, my sister got a ticket too. Don't rub it in  :D

Heard the new single Love Steals us from Loneliness. First impression was that it was ok but not great. However, both Lamacq and my sister have said its a grower so need to give it a few more listens I reckon.

Here's hoping they do a U.S. tour while I'm in Boston so I can see them in a tiny venue. That would be great.

Also got my fingers crossed they don't go all REM ballady and still rock out a bit on the album.

Sorry man, didn't intend to sound gloaty. Yeah the new single seems alright but not spectacular but then 'You Held the World In Your Arms' took a few listens to get into.

Plus between 'YHTWIYA', 'American English' and 'Live In a Hiding Place' you'd think The Remote Part would be easy-listening but then there's the like of 'I Am What I Am Not', 'Modern Way of Letting Go', 'Stay the Same', etc. I think the record company's just picking the more radio friendly songs as singles.

Sorry man, didn't intend to sound gloaty. Yeah the new single seems alright but not spectacular but then 'You Held the World In Your Arms' took a few listens to get into.

Plus between 'YHTWIYA', 'American English' and 'Live In a Hiding Place' you'd think The Remote Part would be easy-listening but then there's the like of 'I Am What I Am Not', 'Modern Way of Letting Go', 'Stay the Same', etc. I think the record company's just picking the more radio friendly songs as singles.

Don't worry dude, you weren't gloaty, I'm just dead jealous.

Your right on with YHTWIYA. I remember it did take a good few listens I remember so not passing judgement yet.

I love the slow ones also but when Idlewild rock out, there's something about them that makes me go mental. The riff to Film for the Future is just so damn good. I am what I am not too, great rock song.

Always the musical snob, I do end up yelling for songs from Captain during the gigs. Think they are pretty sick of playing them though.

PS: What ever happened to Bob Fairfoull? 

He got chucked out after trying to punch Roddy. Not too sure why.

In other very sad news:

10th January 2005

The three piece rock band known as mclusky have disbanded, as of friday january 7th, 2005.

The reason for this parting is private, though probably not as entertaining as you'd imagine.

Personally, I would like to thank all the people, places and times that occured on or near us.

I`m grateful for the love and to to a lesser degree, the hate. There'll be more music soon, from all of us.

Regards.

falco

I'm devastated by this. One of my fave bands around were McLusky. Saw them recently in Boston and never looked better. Still; they left us with three amazing albums, which is more than most bands.

Your hearts gone the colour of coca-cola...your hearts gone the colour of a dust-bin..!

Man, saw em live, still got a shirt from the gig, not into em as much as you Stew but it's a damn shame.

One of my fave shirts is a mclusky one. It's the black one with fuck this band: mclusky written on it in white. It looks like an FCUK shirt, but I assume thats the joke.

Is yours the same?

Archived