Aqua Teen Hunger Force

The NZA

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, im lookin forward to re-watching season 4 now that LL's got the DVD - ever notice how the good adult swim shit seems to come on at whatever hour it pleases?

anyone seen the new series? i caught the tail end of one episode, and Shake was a rapper with an entorogue of cellphones, who eneded up stabbing him. I love it.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Two men pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges they created panic by placing "bomblike" electronic light boards displaying a cartoon character with an upraised middle finger throughout Boston.
the cartoon "moon men" were part of a so-called guerrilla marketing campaign to promote the late-night Adult Swim cartoon "Aqua Teen Hunger Force".
It's so not threatening -- it's a Lite Brite," he told the newspaper, referring to the children's toy that allows its users to create pictures by placing translucent pegs into an opaque board. "I don't understand how they could be terrified. I would if it was a bunch of circuits blinking, but it wasn't."

Devices in place for weeks

Turner said the devices have been in place for two or three weeks in Boston; New York City; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Austin, Texas; San Francisco, California; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

However, only in Boston did the light boards create such a furor. In Seattle and several suburbs, the signs were removed without fuss, according to The Associated Press.

Oh geez...

Edited by Senshik

To this I ask a question? Are people in Boston teminally stupid? This has been on the radio all day, then when it turned out to be a hoax, everyone was calling for the heads of the marketing guys. I feel really sorry for those two, I mean there was no malicous intent, those things didn't even LOOK like bombs, and they were up for like 2 weeks.

Go USA!

That has been all the rage around here latley. i can't belive what an uproar it's caused. Their were people arguing about it at my job for crying outloud!

Anyways, i feel bad for the guy who put the 'devices' up. he's going to get a major public spanking.

As for ATHF i didn't much care for the first or last season, but everything inbetween was pure hilarity.

Blowing up light-brights is pretty funny too.

David Weigel of Reason.com writes about the 2 arrested advertisers:

• They exposed the sleeping bear tactics of Boston's terrorism response network, which consist of taking three weeks to notice something "suspicious," then locking the metropolis down in a panic without testing to deduce whether several dozen "bombs" are actually "harmless mini-billboards covered with light bulbs."

• They masterfully punctured the scare-driven self-importance of TV news. First they gave the networks (including all three cable news channels) a black eye for breathlessly hyping a threat that didn't exist. Then, showing off balls so big and so brassy that they could knock the Moon off orbit, they called a press conference to speculate about the origins of 1970s hairstyles

He also points out that Fox News has been leading the unreasonable outrage at the ad campaign.

Fox News' John Gibson, led Fox's coverage of the affair, accompanied by chyrons that dubbed Berdovksy and Stevens "hippie dudes," "hippie pranksters," "hoax jokesters," and "loony toons." "Here's hoping these arrogant bleeps go to jail," he snarled, while Fox legal expert Andrew Napolitano patiently explained that the artists hadn't done anything we could execute them for.

Whole thing here: http://www.reason.com/news/show/118476.html

I still can't believe they're refering to this as a hoax up to now. It was not a bomb hoax. 'hoax' implies it was intended to create the impression of a bomb attack.

I still can't believe they're refering to this as a hoax up to now. It was not a bomb hoax. 'hoax' implies it was intended to create the impression of a bomb attack.

Yeah, that pisses me off too. It's as if the entire context of these things means nothing. The funny thing is in every news story I read, the fact that these things had been up for two weeks is at least 10 paragraphs in, when it should be at the top of the story. I think the media is just pissed that they got caught with their pants down.

Seriously. This is more a black eye on Boston's response and PD than anything being thrown at Cartoon Network or these guys.

Id be hoping for snarling Fox commentary and press conferences to play down the "threat" if id hyped a potential danger id a) neglected for weeks and b) overreacted, too.