Hondo's Bar

Oldboy

So I saw "Old Boy", a Korean (I think) movie that really fucks with your head! It was reaaaal good!! I don't wanna give to much away, but basically some guy gets kidnapped and held prisoner in a room for 15 years!! Dude finds a way to escape and goes on the hunt for his captors! It's really cool cause the guys been locked up for 15 years and he gone a little... crazy!! I don't know what American movie to compare it to, but it's pretty fucked up!! It hasn't really made a buzz yet, but if you can get your hands on a copy, check it out!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Dunno if this one was covered while I was away, but if it was sorry...

Anyways, you HAVE to check out "Old Boy". The story is about a Korean drunkard business man who is picked up off the streets and thrown into a weird jail for 15 years and for God knows what. I really don't wanna say more 'cause this thing is a fucking trip, but needless to say he's released and then one of the greatest fight scenes ever happens (He uses a hammer for Pete's sake...a HAMMER!). You really gotta get this flick. Beg, borrow or steal...it's the fucking goods.

Sorry if my non-review was a little...okay a whole lacklustre, but it's really hard to say much without spoiling all the shocks and surprises that come along the way.

Here be the Site

Yeah, a co-worker of mine said it was the sickest movie she'd ever seen, that it made her sick to her stomach. I asked her "did it make you more sick to your stomach than Kids?" and she said she hasn't seen Kids, so I agreed to watch Old Boy if she watched Kids and we'd compare.

Yeah, a co-worker of mine said it was the sickest movie she'd ever seen, that it made her sick to her stomach. I asked her "did it make you more sick to your stomach than Kids?" and she said she hasn't seen Kids, so I agreed to watch Old Boy if she watched Kids and we'd compare.

It's not Kids sick, or for that matter the even sicker Bully sick (damn you Larry Clarke you evil, evil man!) but more of a kinda Blue Velvet sick. Uhm, where was I...uh...sick. Yeah that's it, like damn you Shannon Sosyman getting puked on by that dude that was raping you in Rules of Attraction sick...yeah, I'm lost. Never smoke cheeba and post.

It's all about the big fight scene in it. I've never seen anything as sweet as it. I wasn't too big on "Kill Bill" (well, I really dug volume 2) 'cause of that whole crazy 88 thing, but the "Old Boy" fight is kinda along the same wave length (minus all the blood) and I was blown away. The ass kickings he administers...wow....

What a film!

Truly amazing film. The fight scene is quite spectacular.

Pity it's been remade with Nic Cage in the lead role. Why! For fuck sake why!

I understand remaking Asian horror as horror is a huge draw but this film does not appeal to the masses. Fuck sake.

Also in the subject of revenge flicks. Check out Dead Man's Shoes if you can find it. Released last year and stars Paddy Considine(In America) who gives one of the most ferocious performances I've ever seen.

dms_large.jpg

Just looked on the Imdb and Choi Min-sik said he'd like to see Sean Penn playing Oh Dae-su, and Edward Norton playing Lee Woo-jin. That'd be pretty cool actually, the only thing is even if they made it with 'em (which is as likely as Alfonso Ribeiro playing Bill O'Reilly in "Bill O'Reilly and the Neverending Box of Smokes") could it be even half as fucked up as the Korean one, I mean that flick went places that made me feel dirty....

• 3 weeks later...

old_boy.jpg

holy shit, was this harsh. No, not "Kids" harsh, but 2T's prolly on the money (what's "Bully"?)

:D put me onto this one a long time back, finally got around to seeing it...an excellent revenge story, with some twists that just...fuck, you gotta see it. Dinghy & Junker too enjoyed it, I'm holdin onto it for LL. Great acting, plot, characters, pacing, cinemontography, etc - an overall good movie that didnt pull punches, as i fear a US version might.

• 10 months later...

Okay, methinks Kids was not as sick as Old Boy. I'm not going to argue Kids wasn't pretty dark either, but man, Kids didn't make me NOT want to eat my dinner.

Fucking A**!!! That bastard (yeah you know who you are! :birf:) made dinner and brought it to me while the whole truth/craziness was revealed and ate all of it!

All i have to say about Old Boy is: EWWWWWWWWW.... I'm still sick to my stomach after watching. Crap what an interesting way to get revenge.

OH right, He used a fucking Hammer! Yeah, that man was hardcore, Fucking "Korean-Noodles" Hardcore! :2T:

i think i almost took off adrians arm when i realized what had happened. i can't think of a better revenge story. definitely makes you sick to your stomach.

i went to elementary school with a girl who was in bully. she was the girl with rollarskates. now she's in the pussycat dolls. weird.

Saw Old Boy several months back. Good stuff. There's a manga of it; I'm a couple of chapters into it. But I hadn't heard they were going to remake it for release here in America. It seems a very American tradition, when bringing in an excellent film you must mark your territory by pissing on it.

Haven't seen Kids, I proably should.

Where the fuck can I get the manga? I've looked since I first saw the flick and have come up with Jack Squat.

Anyways who cares about the american re-make...the bollywood remake has already been done (Click here for the site for the film) and looks kick ass. Or maybe it doesn't but who gives a fuck, this chick is hot...

Lara_Dutta_11_jpg_jpg.jpg

Where the fuck can I get the manga? I've looked since I first saw the flick and have come up with Jack Squat.

Online. As far as I know, it hasn't been released in america as of yet (nor do I know of any plans to). It used to be on www.stoptazmo.com, but it looks like they removed it for some reason. Bastards. Probably still out there somewhere, though. I'll see if I can't find it and let you know.

Anyways who cares about the american re-make...the bollywood remake has already been done (Click here for the site for the film) and looks kick ass. Or maybe it doesn't but who gives a fuck, this chick is hot...

Lara_Dutta_11_jpg_jpg.jpg

Yes. Yes she is.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

*when la lindsay bitches, it sounds like this: "rah rah rah"

Edited by Irish Cowboy