Hondo's Bar

Xbox 360

The NZA

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how's the new update? did it bring anything past these accessories?

you just know logan's the only kid on the block with a lightsaber; that star wars franchise never really did take off.

Here's what's changed:

A bunch of cosmetic changes when viewing achievements

You can launch a game directly from the achievement browser

HD Netflix streaming

Netflix Partywatch- if your streaming a movie, other people in your party can watch it too

you can eject the disc tray with the controller while a disc is in it

Games On Demand channel that lets you purchase and download 360 games, they also give you the option to pay with MS points or real money, which I wish they offered for everything.

little number next to your gamercard show how long you've been a gold member

there's a rating system for everything, it's exactly like YouTube's

Browsing is slightly faster

If you're disconnected from a party inadvertently, you will be automatically reconnected to the party without any user interaction

Display Discovery - Override audio and/or video formats independent of the display's capabilities

Community games has been renamed Indie Games

New entry points in the Dashboard for Active Downloads, Redeem Code, Auto Sign-In (via Profile), Create Profile, and Recover Gamertag

Clearing your cache no longer requires a code. Just highlight your HDD, press Y, and choose the Clear System Cache option.

Some games take up less space when installed, Sonic UGC went from 3gb to 1gb. Some are exactly the same.

People on your friends list can now see exactly what video your watching, thankfully this can be disabled

so cute how you guys will play dress up with your avatars!

People on your friends list can now see exactly what video your watching, thankfully this can be disabled

yeah no kidding...netflix has pretty racy stuff up. :arty:

Games On Demand channel that lets you purchase and download 360 games, they also give you the option to pay with MS points or real money, which I wish they offered for everything.

i do belive that it is the ultimate goal for the entire marketplace. I hate the 'points' system myself.

That's one of the issues I have with PSN V Live. For me personally, ignorance is fucking bliss. I tank real money into these points, and I then make purchases based on a ficticious value created by this faux-currency. PSN tells me straight up how much my purchase is costing & I hate it because I then rationalise whether or not I truly need it, and indeed whether or not I really want it at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

Bitch,bitch,bitch

And so it begins. This is a page from the latest Wal-Mart catalogue, due August 30, advertising the Xbox 360 Elite at $299, a whole $100 cheaper than its current price.

With Meijer's catalogue also advertising a $299 Elite for August 30, let's end the conjecture right here. This is definitely happening.

What's fascinating is not the fact the Elite is $100 cheaper, it's that we now - finally - have the 360 and PS3 going toe-to-toe in the marketplace. Both consoles are $299, both have 120GB HDDs, both have HDMI, both are...black.

Be interesting to see what impact each console's bullet-point deal-breaker - Blu-Ray for PS3, Netflix for 360 - has on sales.

yeah, neither bring HDMI cables, ironically. bigup monoprice.com! sadly i hear the new elites dont bring digital audio cables either, ugh.

the good news? i paid $450 for my elite, when it died a couple months back, i got the $400 one in return with two games and $100 back. when that $300 bundle of Gears 1 & 2 comes out, guess who's elite will magically not work anymore? here's to free games and $100 :D long live RROD, i says!

• 3 weeks later...
Infinity Ward announced at a press event in Los Angeles today that, to commemorate the release of the game, Microsoft will be releasing a brand new model of the Xbox 360 based on Modern Warfare 2.

This new console will be black, with Modern Warfare 2 branding, and will also come packing a 250GB HDD and two wireless controllers. It'll be $399, and is apparently already available for preorder.

mwbundle.jpg

mwbundle2.jpg

They just did a price drop and then jack up the cost by a $100 for this. They are clearly stealing ideas from Sony.

you know, ive never really had space issues with the 120 GB. im all for variants, but this one...eh. casemod's not great, and regular controllers (at least there's 2, presumably?)....i mean, i didnt think the halo xbox was that hot but the spartan controllers were at least something different.

after the red RE5 one and the so-so gunmetal MGS4 PS3, im a little down by the effort in these things this gen. i still have this screenshot of a black dreamcast with a S.T.A.R.S. logo (japanese only) for the RE: Code Veronica bundle that has yet to be topped.

It's ridiculous that they're still doing this when RE5 boxes are still sitting on-shelf most places(and red's pretty exciting/dynamic. I'da loved one at a reasonable price), and they's outright said that players will need to either bolt on the Natal gear or simply buy the newer integrated box(which means a redux anyways). Hell, I struggled with justifying an arcade bundle with Natal coming next year...

GAH!!!! All of the sudden...out of fucking nowhere...my 360 doesn't recognize my controllers, and won't sync to any of them...

to see what i mean...

I've found a few fixes, but I'm not going to bother, I'll be going back to best Buy to get a replacement (again). I'm so glad I got the extended warranty through them.

• 3 months later...

There's no excuse, but I think it's being dealt with fairly well.

I've had several 360's die on me, every one of them was replaced within a week for free.

And, y'know, I got to keep my hardrive. Would piss me off if I had to send in a PS3. I know that more than one person around here has had one die on them.

But ever since the update that let you install games, I haven't had a single problem. I've just installed every game before I play it. I don't understand people who don't. Why the fuck wouldn't you? At the very least it's less wear-and-tear on the system and the games, at best it increases performance.

I'm glad some people are happy with their customer service. And - it's true about installing to the hard drive. less heat and less wear and tear on the dvd drive. well, some could say that the wear and tear is then on the hard drive instead. that's another discussion.

As for me, I have had a 360 die on me and I sent it in for the red ring fix. I got it back and then it started to do the same thing the red ringed 360 did right before it died. You would see red and green blotches on the screen. It would continue for a few minutes and then freeze. This time, instead of displaying 3 red rings, the green lights would power up normally and you would have no picture, just sound coming from it when you turned it on.

I called them back, saying this shit was the same thing/problem as the red ring. They weren't buying it, they insisted it was a different problem and I was one week out from their "general" failure clause from their refurbished box. I was so pissed. I tried to heat/cool cycle the thing to induce red rings... I stuck chopsticks in the fan vents to overheat the 360 and then put it in the freezer to cool it down rapidly. The damn thing did not die.

and just as luck would have it, after i got rid of it, they extend the replacements to cover e74 errors, which is the same as no video, just sound. in serious cases of e74, the whole board must be removed and the soldier "re balled," which only specialized equipment can do... but it is a result of the red ring problem. so cross your fingers this doesn't happen to you.

I just always tell them it's the red ring. What, they gonna plug it in and call me a liar? It's sporadic.

I even sent in a 360 with a faulty DVD drive that I had opened and ruined the warranty sticker. They sent me a new one.

Tips for dealing with xbox customer service:

sound very sure of yourself,

cut them off with "I already tried all the troubleshooting" as soon as they start reading off their prompt,

you always have 3 flashing red rings,

you've dealt with this before,

you don't have access to e-mail.