Hondo's Bar

Xbox 360

The NZA

good calls, though i entirely disagree about them "handling it well". i bought a service plan cause i absolutely refuse to let MS send me a refurbished unit and "hope for the best" (note: its said sony is now doing this too, its no less shitty). i still think PS3 death is almost anecdotal in comparison to 360, but even with the new data transfer tool, ive read some save files having a hard time not being locked down, which even with the intention of blocking trophy-whoring is absolute shit.

(wait, who here got the YLOD? spiffy,. was that you? i forget.)

i wish i knew more about the failure rate of the new jaspers, theoretically they should have much of the problem fixed. what pisses me off is part of me is so hoping for a magical 360 slim - no idea how with that HDD, but still - that 100% eliminates the problem. its a great system thats entirely marred by the fear of it dying, and ill be fair and admit, the thread on GAF about ps3s failing does have me concerned for my launch model, despite it not giving any real indication of troubles. god, i hope next gen somehow improves this, xboxs and gemecubs felt built like tanks in comparison.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well...if we build them with better ventilation and sony in particular gets better with firmware updates, im less fearful. im really hoping MS eating a loss of billions on the RROD deal serves as an example of how much $ you can save when you do it right the first time.

what sucks about us as consumers is the dudes who just keep buying new ones when shit fails and happily say "im on my 8th one now LOL" (assuming they're not stupid enough to keep them sideways in a small cabinet or rest them on subwoofers etc), cause then we're only rewarding poor manufacturing. ugh.

well...if we build them with better ventilation and sony in particular gets better with firmware updates, im less fearful. im really hoping MS eating a loss of billions on the RROD deal serves as an example of how much $ you can save when you do it right the first time.

what sucks about us as consumers is the dudes who just keep buying new ones when shit fails and happily say "im on my 8th one now LOL" (assuming they're not stupid enough to keep them sideways in a small cabinet or rest them on subwoofers etc), cause then we're only rewarding poor manufacturing. ugh.

And that's the problem.

They are going to try to and cram everything into a small unit. You know for a fact people are to bitch and cry if they see a unit that was about the size of the 1st Xbox or bigger.

Your words burns us, but me and my fourth Xbox love you nonetheless. When faced with losing my xbox and hoping for the best when I get one back in 3 months Vs just buying a new one, I opt for keeping sanity.

yeah, you define "part of the problem"....but when you factor in your bad math with gamestop trade-ins and all, its so much worse than just RROD's. it's like, you don't just take money from the collection plate, you actually steal holy water to wash your car with.

Alright, having seen firsthand your side of the Gamestop arguement here is my final rebuttal: Gamestop as a company might as well fly a black flag with Skull & Crossbones because their trade values are inexcusably poor and anyone partaking in that system is a moron. However: Here in Oz, where we pay $100+ per game, trading in three titles to get it free makes a whole lot more sense than whatever trade offers your gamestop has for a $50-60 game. Here in Oz, trade values are more generous obviously because our games cost so much more. As far as I can tell from the limited homework I've done, looks like Gamestop introduced this shit after getting the idea from EB, so while here in Oz second hand games have always had a thriving culture, you people tend to take it as some kind of grave personal offence.

Regarding 360's, you guys don't live in my backwater. Fuck the buncha you and your easy-to-judge hats. Out of curiousity, genuinely not being rhetorical, where do you have to send your units to for replacement/assimilation?

ah, yeah you got it - your trade rates sound a bit more like our EBused to be before Gamestop ate them; now, you buy a $60 game, you have it for more than say a few weeks, ive seen them lowball under $30 for it. shit's harsh. god forbid its a sports game. nothing shittier than them offering you in the low 20s just to have it sold for nearly double sometimes. trading in used games over here's only an offense for getting ripped, but its quicker than ebay/craigslist etc so most people take the hit. Last time i did so, i traded 3 games for Silent Hill 4, no more though.

we send the dead systems into MS, if it Red Ring'd. they used to mail you a box, now you just get a mailing label. anyway, in whatever turnaround time they have going now, you get a refurbished unit back from them that hopefully doesnt crap right out on you.

i remember an article i read last year saying gamestop AU had warehouses fulla dead 360s that they were having a bitch of a time getting MS to replace, and that the company stopped taking them for trade-ins, that true?

Well for one, there IS no Gamestop AU, just EB games

...yet

dont recall their physical address, ive helped mail a few off though. if you're asking past that....they uh, they go to a big farm, where there's plenty of room to play and they never get lonely.

• 5 months later...
Well for one, there IS no Gamestop AU, just EB games and no, they still take 360's for trade.

I meant where physically in the world do those go to?

Mesquite, Texas. I usually get a new unit around a week after I send the old one off. And like NZA said, we don't pay for the postage.

It turns out the new redesigned 360 is 100% GAURUNTEED TO NEVER GET RED RING OF DEATH because they changed the status code :mumble:.

Good marketing move, that.

Meet the Red Eye of Doom!

xbox-360-slim-red-eye-0.jpg

I thought this was interesting: 4iy91c.jpg

...shit. i know its gotta be anecdotal so far, but how much of this occurrence has been seen?

this thing looks like some kinda alienware prototype with vents all around; really hoping this had the problem as close to solved as possible.

• 1 year later...

hakujin just caught wood

This first ever custom Xbox 360 and Kinect bundle includes an R2-D2 blue-and-white themed console, a custom Xbox 360 Wireless Controller inspired by C-3PO and the first ever white Kinect sensor. The bundle is set to debut alongside Kinect Star Wars this holiday, but is available now for pre-order through participating retailers. Priced at $449.99, the Xbox 360 Limited Edition Kinect Star Wars Bundle will include:

Kinect Star Wars game

Custom R2-D2-themed Xbox 360 Console with custom sounds (Hear them (MP3) - > Power on and Tray eject)

White Kinect Sensor

Custom C-3PO-themed Xbox 360 Wireless Controller

320 GB Hard Drive

Xbox 360 Wired Headset

Kinect Adventures game

Exclusive downloadable content

Pictures: (click image for more pictures on flickr)

2yycljn.jpg

That's all fine and good, but it comes with Kinect Star Wars! Do you really want to have to have that piece of shit anywhere near you or your valuable electronics? What if it's contagious?

I'm not taking the chance. Can't even get a used one, because I'll know that at some point it could have been touched by that game.

one day, we'll have a thread on "missing opportunities in motion controls", and i swear, everything i see/hear of Kinect Star Wars will make that first post.

maybe i only care because of fucking with windows 95 themes in the day, i thought you might dig the custom .wav's for opening/etc, that'll be fun once the homebrew folks sort out replacing them.

• 4 months later...

960k X360s sold on Black Friday week, biggest week in Xbox history

Sales highlights in the U.S. during the week of Black Friday include:

Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)

More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)

holy shit.

we've known since the PS2 that < $200 is the sweet spot (weren't they doing kinect + small HDD model 360s for $150 in a lot've places? fantastic deal, too) but this is huge both for MS and the industry as a whole, i think - a 2005 system squeezed out those #'s. while we're all eagerly awaiting next gen shit, the first system on the block for this one is setting records.

• 1 year later...

free games if you put in some work! from GAF

Alright you want some free games? It is time to go to Oman then.

But wait before we start. What can you get for free you ask?

GoD

Dark

Sherlock Holmes: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (PAL)

Arcade

Bloodforge

Capsized

Diabolical Pitch

Dragons Lair

Dungeon Fighters LIVE: Fall of Hendon Myre

Flashback

Ikaruga

Mars: War Logs

Sonic Adventure

Unbound Saga

WRC Powerslide

DLC

Alien Spidy DLC

Hitman: Absolution Contracts Pass

Injustice – Classic Ares

Injusice – Containment Suit Doomsday

Injustice – Cyborg Superman

Injustice – Flashpoint Batman

Metro Last Light Faction Pack

Painkiller Hell & Damnation: Clock Strikes At Meat Night

Painkiller Hell & Damnation: Full Metal Rocket

Painkiller Hell & Damnation: Medieval Horror

Saint’s Row IV Season Pass

Saint’s Row IV Executive Privilege Pack

Okay you in? You in!

On your PC

1. Go here to make a new profile on your PC

2. Important steps here: Click on I already have an email and put in some weird shit, just remember to write it down. Same thing goes for the security question.

Obviously choose Oman.

3. Now you get to xbox.com, choose Oman again and create the account.

4. Time to head to your Xbox

On your Xbox

1. With no profile signed in, choose download profile from the guide

2. Put in the email address and password for your account

3. You need to select an avatar. If it asks you for more security shit just hit B to cancel

4. You are ready to go

Now read carefully

1. Click on Recent on your dashboard

2. Select one of your recent games and press X to bring up game details

3. Now you should be able to press Y to bring up search.

4. Now just search for the games/items from the list above for what you want

5. Download them for free and enjoy

debating for another copy of Ikaruga & SA1

• 2 years later...

http://www.theverge....oduction-ceased

A decade later, Microsoft has finally ceased production on the Xbox 360. The company announced the news in a blog post from Xbox chief Phil Spencer today. "Xbox 360 means a lot to everyone in Microsoft," Spencer explained. "And while we've had an amazing run, the realities of manufacturing a product over a decade old are starting to creep up on us. Which is why we have made the decision to stop manufacturing new Xbox 360 consoles. We will continue to sell existing inventory of Xbox 360 consoles, with availability varying by country."

Edited by Little Nemo McFly