Hondo's Bar

Xbox 360

The NZA

Microsoft may have announced the Xbox 360’s backwards compatibility list of playable games. Out of the box, however, the list is reduced to just Halo and Halo 2.  If you’ve got Xbox Live you’ll be able to download emulators for the games, which by far is the easiest route.  If you do not have Xbox Live you can download the emulators, burn them to CD, and install them that way.  Finally, you can order a CD of the emulator, but you’ll have to pay for shipping and handling.

Sucks if you have tons of games for the x-box

This sucker heats up quite a bit.  I thought it was something just with the debug kits, but retail units heat up just as much.  I would make sure that your unit has some good ventilation.  And if you need to keep a slice of pizza warm while you’re fragging, your Xbox 360 will help you out.

Wow!! It keeps your pizza warm also. now thats impressive

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah , The hard drives are crashing according to the news reports lately...

XBOX360 Crash Report

So, the Xbox 360’s been available for, what, 15 minutes, and already the crash reports are streaming in. According to postings on Xbox-Scene and other fan sites, some early adopters are discovering that waiting on line in the cold for two years to snag a box was the least of their problems: the game consoles are allegedly crashing during a variety of games and reporting a range of error messages. There’s even a pic up on flickr that purports to show the 360 crashing as the Microsoft logo loads.

:) ... and yet again.

Crash Report/IGN

Edited by MusicManiac

This is nothing particularly new. The PS2 had a ton of issues at launch here as well, even launching what 8 months after the Japanese launch. It's the joys of new tech. Microsoft is saying that problems are within regular margins for a new product, and they have been very good according to reports in getting replacements out quickly, even giving a new HD to Core users who had problems.

The painful realities of launch.

Well got mine yesterday, literally one minute after sending a scathing email to Gamestop about how my pre-order wasn't in yet. Kinda funny.

Anyhow, this thing kicks major ass. Call of Duty 2 rocks, Condemned seems pretty damn creepy thus far, and Kameo is a pretty gosh darn neat platformer.

The online stuff you can do is great, xbox live arcade is just a cool friggen concept. Cheap simple games that are a ton of fun. Geometry Wars will probably be my first purchase off of the service, as the demo is just amazing. Great little shooter. Still the prospects of playing Smash TV online also calls to me.

No problems thus far. Seems like my Box isn't overheating or anything like that, but I got the extended warrenty just in case.

Now I just have to wait for Oblivion, DoA4, and Gears of War.

Personally I think all the X-Box 360 hype is overrated. Me personally I am waiting for PS3. It's due for a March 2006 release date, and it offers way more features and options than X-Box ever will. The main thing that sold me on PS3 over X360 is its backwards compatibility. It will support not only PS3 games, but also PS2 AND even PS1 games as well! That alone is 3 different consoles in one, less space to worry about. Also it doubles as a DVD and CD player as well. So that's 5 consoles in one!!! X360 won't even support XBox games from its predecessor, and I think its a huge waste of money. Take my advice, if you haven't bought X360 yet, wait it out a few more months and save your money for PS3.

Yeah, because the 360, doesn't play CDs and DVDs either, oh wait, it does. Please the hype on the PS3 is absolutely ridiculous. Sony has this tendency of promising the world and under delivering. I remember the whole PS2 is going to have Toy Story graphics BS. People buying heavily into that hype was part of what killed the DC (amoung a host of other problems.)

Yeah the backwards compatibility is nice, but word is, that they are having problems with it currently, and it may not be as full as people would like whenever the PS3 actually launches. Which is looking like fall over here at the earliest. Devs are saying that it just isn't ready for a spring release.

The thing will have games I will want, no doubt, and I'll probably grab one for MGS4. Then again it is about the games in the end. And, in the generation leading up to this new one, the Xbox impressed me more than any of the other systems. Not only did it have the quirky Sega games, it also had some of the best developed western titles on the market. The games coming for the 360 impress the hell out of me as well.

I enjoy it, I think that other people will as well, problem is there are a bunch of people who won't even give MS a chance due to I dunno, console snobbery or something.

Then again, I have always been a fan of the scrappy underdog.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the best thing in the next gen for the system (other than the graphics, which, BTW have ALWAYS been the big thing about the next generation of game systems.) The Xbox live functionality is just amazing, even better than it was back on the original. I especially love Xbox live arcade, being able to download demos of both old school, and new, fun little games, and then buy them for about $5 is just great. Geometry wars is so unbelieveably fun it's just insane.

I've been playing the hell out of this system since I picked it up. Perfect Dark is a blast, even more so online (feels alot like Golden Eye.). Dead or Alive 4 is a friggen blast, and again the online is a hella lot of fun. Call of Duty 2, well, I have never been a fan of WWII shooters, but this one just pulls everything off so well, that it is just amazing, frentic and tense.

I also have Condemned which is best described as a first-person survival horror. It is tense, creepy, and looks incredible. The graphics are a lot of what pulls you in, along with the great lighting, sound, and genuine creep factor. The places you go through feel pretty damn real.

It's the small things I am loving, the wireless controllers you can power the system on and off with, the ability to chat with a friend when we are playing to completely seperate games, being able to toss my own soundtrack into any game (though there are only a few I do that for), easy access to demos online, an integrated friends list, and a host of other great features. Looking towards the future, the real next-gen meat is coming, Prey looks amazing, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon have me excited as hell, and when they come out, I'll probably still be chugging away at Oblivion.

I think the system has had a great launch thus far, not as nice as the dreamcast's but better than the PS2's by a friggen mile.

I do have to ask though, is what do you all expect out of a next generation system? I hear people always saying, it's the same games only prettier, and well, in some ways that is true I suppose, but it has alwyas been that way. Are you expecting a sytem that will provide you with midget hookers whenever you want?

I mean, when the SNES hit, it was well, a prettier NES, it had more power under the hood, and while scaling was shiny and new, it allowed for much more complex titles down the line. The only real launches I felt had a huge inititial impact were the launches of the Saturn and PS1, which had the 3-d wow factor and opened up things in a way that was immediately visible. And hell, even some of the stuff that they pulled off had been done on the SNES and Genesis.

The gen after that, well, it set things up to how we have them now. The N64 evolved things a bit, dreamcast was amazing, but it was honestly just prettier, PS2 killed even with horrible games at launch, the Xbox and GC again upped the graphical ante. It's just how it works. The Rev may shake things up with its controller, and I hope it does, Nintendo has already stated that they are trying to back away from the HD game, and we'll see where that takes them. PS3 is banking entirely on graphics.

As far as being rushed, well, that's probably true, then again the onptions they would be left with would be launching against the PS3 which would be suicide, or launching after it, which didn't work for them last time. So they made a bet on being first. We'll see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Shit & Shinola... The 360 comes out here next week, & I'm facing the last possible chance to preorder. Still paralysed by choice... Your review sounds pretty promising tho Bishop. Anyone else care to chime in before I spend a week sleeping on the couch with my awesome new console?

• 3 months later...

it looks very good graphically, however, theres not much Really to offer game wise... fair enough, ghost recon and project gotham racing look tempting, halo 3 when it comes out, it costs a Very pretty penny though, im not gonna get one, but my mate rory has one and its fun to play ghost recon for ages... im still not sure as to whether or not it plays normal xbox games, never asked.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so, hmm let me think... which systems have cooling fans?

PS2? ... check.

GameCube? ,,, check.

XBoX ... Chiggity check.

... even the Dreamcast did.

When X360's start overheating after dropping 5 bills on it... you know ya been had...just a little. :Zombie:

802205b.jpg

Reduce the internal operating temperature of the 360 while prolonging the consoles lifespan. The Intercooler 360 is a snap on cooling attachment that easily connects to the Xbox 360 to significantly reduce the internal heat of the console. The Intercooler 360 provides increased air flow throughout the 360 which allows the internal circuitry to perform at cooler temperatures and last longer. No internal modification of the Xbox 360 is required. A pass through power connection utilizes the existing Xbox 360 power supply negating the need for an extra AC adaptor. The unit also powers on and off automatically with 360 and the intercoolers small size will fit in tight spaces like entertainment centers with your 360 displayed in either horizontal or vertical format.

Some people have had some issues, but it's hard to say how widespread it really is, the internet has a tendency of blowing small numbers of problems into an apparent epidemic.

I've had my Xbox 360 since December and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. The games are great, the system is well designed, and Xbox Live is just awesome.

BTW there have been coolers for a bunch of systems, so that's not that new. It's someone trying to cash in on a percieved problem and thus fleece consumers. It's kinda like those cooling pads for laptops.

Edited by bishopcruz

Everything runs real hot, epecially when you have that much hardware going on, and they already have 2 fans in the thing as it is. I think the power supply even has one. Again, never had any overheating issues, but then again I make sure hte 360 has enough space for airflow all round it.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got mine, and yeah. Horribly horribly awfully impressed. I fucking love it. Live is a blast(for someone who blew 2 week's rent & a little tax money on this it's great to have comp demos at my disposal), the whole fit of it is great, the graphics are unreal & playabilty/functionality is like falling over when drunk. Only issue I've had so far is the fact that on the stock as a block "20 gig" harddrive I only have 13 available. I took my fist unit back 'cause I figured there was something rotten in Denmard, but again, same dealy. I've beebn paramoid as hell about the heating issue(I leave it on in the night to download my demos & whatever, but only get to play it for about an hour or two a night :???: ). Bish, I'm guessing you use yours a fair bit & you're saying you've had no issues? Lemme know so I can stop walking on eggshells man.

My comments are in Bold.

Hey Skeet, truth be told, I'm not impressed 2 fold.

First I'll comment on the overheating problem and then about the other issues I have with this machine. But before I do I'll tell you right off the bat that I have gotten rid of this machine until they start advancing the library. I mean, I know it's new and all, but when Sony launched the PS2 they had 3 almost 4 times as many QUALITY games more than Microsoft can boast about for their little gem. It's not the machine necessarily, it's what you feed it... I think. Anyway in short here's some online stuff I found regarding the Warning Zone of 360 ownership. I also want to say that I brought back my 360 and had the full ammount credited towards a PS3 plus 2 titles. So I'm happy about that.

Overheating-

Frustrating to these gamers, not only because they probably broke the bank to get this system. Some of the disgruntled gamers posted messages which reported “that some of the consoles stopped working after a short bout of playing or crashed during a game and flashed up an error number.

A day after the North American launch of the first of a new generation of consoles, the Xbox 360, Microsoft has confirmed that some gamers are experiencing nasty problems already. "We have received a few isolated reports of consoles not working as expected," Microsoft spokeswoman Molly O'Donnell told Reuters. A lot of Xbox 360 sites, including 360Updates, were filled with messages about strange crashes and error codes that users were getting. In some cases, the console would crash after less than 20 minutes of use.

Skeet - Mine overheated like crazy. I mean that fucker got HOT, and remember about a year ago or so, MS sent out warnings about the head on the adapter plug catching fire? I just don't trust it... Well let's just say that you won't be playing this sucker more than 120 minutes at a whack. I couldn't.

XBox 360 games scratched?

DO NOT CHANGE THE POSITION OF YOUR XBOX 360 WHILE IT IS ON WITH A DISC IN THE DRIVE OR YOU RISK POTENTIALLY DAMAGING YOUR GAME DISC.

A growing number of Xbox 360 customers are reporting having problems with their disc's getting scratched by the DVD drive when switching the unit's position from vertical to horizontal and vise versa.. Initially we thought this was the usual fanboy vs. hater propaganda that swirls around the launch of any new console like this. It didn't take long until the seriousness of the situation reared it ugly head right here in the Llamma's shop. I personally have experienced this issue not once but twice already. Here I was at a friends house helping him get this 360 all setup and networked for Live. In the process we decided to lay the Xbox on it side instead of the upright position.. I thought nothing of doing this while the unit was powered up and in the middle of a game. Big Mistake! I felt and heard the scratch happen and immediately thought; uh oh.. I think I just ruined your Call of Duty 2 buddy... sorry! You would have figured I learned my lesson and would be more careful next time I attempted something like that. Yeah.. guess not. Later on back at the Llamma shop I was taking some photos of a 360 when I decided to get a horizontal shot, again it was powered up so I made sure to do it more carefully. I guess that I was not careful enough because I got that distinct vibration and scratch noise again. There was no doubt in my mind what had just happened. I ejected the disc just to see that it was scratched like the first disc in a almost identical fashion. It will prove interesting to see if the reported Microsoft response is true or stands about replacement of the damaged game disks. Here at Llamma we just wanted to know why it was happening.

:???: That guy's an idiot to have moved while it was on, but I have noticed that the scratching had occurred on a few of the games I spun.

HD problems in Xbox 360 and PS3 (Zenji Nishikawa article @ Game Watch)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...60426/3dhd.htm

Zenji Nishikawa has uploaded the latest issue of his article series about 3D game technologies. The subject of this article is the concern about sub-HD rendering in the next-gen consoles. Since most issues explained by Nishikawa in the article have already been discussed in this forum I make a summary of them. It also contains anonymous developers' quotes, all of which I translate here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RAM bandwidth of Xbox 360 GPU is almost equal to RADEON X1600 XT and shared with CPU by UMA.

Without the eDRAM pixel processor doing 4xMSAA, the fillrate of the GPU core itself is 4 billion texel/sec and almost equal to GeForce 7600 GT.

While the Xbox 360 has a 3.5 times broader bandwidth than the original Xbox, 720p pixels require a 3 times broader memory bandwidth. It leaves only 0.5 times headroom which is insufficient for multiple texture lookups by complex shaders.

eDRAM is implemented to mitigate the impact of the low memory bandwidth. But FP10 + 2xMSAA requires Predicated Tiling.

Tile rendering has many performance demerits.

In games with many chracters like N3 the cost of overlapped geometry grows large unless LOD is implemented.

Lens effect, refraction, HDR effects such as bloom and glare, and other frame buffer filtering cause overlapped drawing near tile boundaries.

Objects that cross boundaries can't use the cache efficiently.

CPU L2 cache locking is practically unusable.

Since textures are stored in the shared 512MB RAM, regardless of the eDRAM size or use of tile rendering, texture lookup consumes the shared memory bandwidth. Normal mapping and shadow mapping require many texture lookups.

So the last resort is to use Display Controller to upscale the image without using tile rendering, for example rendering FP10-32bit / 960*540 / 2xMSAA / 32bit Z (8MB).

Quote:

Developer A: Even 2xMSAA is not required by Microsoft anymore.

Quote:

Developer B: FP10-32bit / 880x720 / 32bit Z / 2xMSAA (9.9MB) rendered to look right when upscaled to 16:9 is also possible.

Quote:

Developer C: You can render it in a certain low-res then to display it you can create a 720p frame by your own shader. In converting the original low-res frame into a 720p frame by the shader you can do color dithering, which may result in smooth color expression or alleviation of the resolution deficiency in FP10.

Quote:

Developer D: At any rate I want to reduce jaggies. Since the eDRAM pixel processor is penalty-free upto 4xMSAA, it will be interesting if it's fully exploited. Though it becomes 640x480 with 4xMSAA and FP10-32bit if it's not tile-rendered, aliasing-free images will be totally different from what we have seen in older games.

Quote:

Developer E: If you think HDR rendering as a premise, PS3 is worse than Xbox 360.

Since PS3 doesn't support FP10-32bit buffer, if FP16-64bit HDR is used it requires twice the bandwidth of Xbox 360 but PS3 doesn't have eDRAM like Xbox 360 to mitigate the impact. It's possible that pseudo-HDR employed in Xbox and DX8 that use a conventional 32bit buffer (8bit int per ARGB) is often used in PS3. Besides the display controller may be used to upscale sub-HD images to a HD resolution.

Quote:

Developer F: As for resolution I think if it's modest it's OK. Since RSX in the PS3 is a shader monster, adding more information to a pixel by executing ultra-advanced shader and then antialiasing it completely must make it look more real. I'd like to give priority to the reality charged in one pixel rather than to HD resolution.

Submitted by shienteedom on Fri, 2006-06-23 06:31.

After reading many reviews on the subject, I have decided to return my unopened 360 console. First, why should I worry whether or not my system will fail at any given moment? Why should I hope it fails within the 90 day warranty period so as to avoid paying even more money? Second, I like to hear my game's sound without having to listen to cooling fans(That is why I put my cube in a quiet place).

The only thing left to do is devise a way to inform people of theses risks before they are financially drained (Admittedly, such an event will, at worst, only occur about 7% of the time). My best advice right now is: use word-of-mouth. So, apropos, I shall now thank the Best Buy employee who warned me.

Thank you.

Trackback URL for this post:

http://www.xboxoverheating.com/index.php?q=trackback/69

DUMBASSES who didnt get the 360 EXTENDED WARRANTY

Submitted by erok (not verified) on Thu, 2006-07-27 15:42.

YOU ALL ARE IDIOTS...

HERES AN IDEA....lets buy a 400 dollar piece of NEW electronics and NOT purchace the BEST BUYS 2 YEAR WARRANTY...

YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELVES...DONT BLAME MICROSOFT.

NONE OF YOU IDIOTS WERE COMPLAINING WHEN PS2s WERE SPONTANIOUSLY COMBUSTING BACK IN 2001.

AND P.S

IF YOU THINK THE PS3 WONT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS OR WORSE THINK AGAIN

hello

Mine died just this morning.

Submitted by Marvin on Wed, 2006-06-28 16:50.

Like many of you i called up MS, of course my 360 is already past the 90 day warranty, i still can't believe that part.

Anyways it's dead and of course called MS and all i got is the $130 line after the mandatory tech support, as if i can't read or research the info myself on their website, so i went through it again while on the phone and surprise, surprise, it stilld didn't work.

If anyone is doing or can get me in contact with anyone filing a class action please contact me at m76ers@hotmail.com I'd be more than willling to join up.

hello

Same here.

Submitted by Trevor (not verified) on Fri, 2006-06-30 19:24.

Marvin - I'm in the same boat and would like to just tag on to your comments. I can be reached at trefor3@gmail.com.

It sucks to be out $130 for a known system flaw...

hello

Same Boat

Submitted by Marlon (not verified) on Tue, 2006-08-01 21:37.

My game went out a couple of weeks ago and I think thats a bunch of bull! If you've play the first xbox for all these years, you kinda grow to respect the brand name. With the rep that the company has you wouldn't expect them to make a bogus product. If this was a problem that was not known of and not something so clear to the company, I could see my self taking the blame for not buying the warranty. All in all Bill Gates is the devil!

hello

I woke up this morning after playing some XBox 360 last night and when I turned on the XBox360 I got the 3 flashing red lights. I powered it off and on again a few times and the same red lights. I went to my desktop computer to check about the red lights and was linked to microsofts official red light troubleshooting page (This must be a common problem for there to be an official web site dedicated to fixing this problem.) After following all the troubleshooting tips it points to contacting microsoft support. After a phone call with them it was definately a hardware failure and they would rush me out a repair box and be without an Xbox for another 6-10 days.

This is not my first XBox 360 ordeal. When I first bought one I was so excited it was the last one in the store so I bought a core system and bought all the accesories totalling over 800$. When I brought it home within the first 10 minutes it started freezing in the middle of the game requiring a reboot of the consule. I went online and Microsoft said that some games might not be readable and to request a new copy from the store. So I did and the game store took my return and gave me a new one. Same problem, not fixed. Contacted Microsoft XBox support they sent a repair box and after reciving it, I shipped my XBox360 off. About 10 days later I recived a completely different XBox360(Different serial number). I was so excited again and opened the box. Played it for half an hour same freezing problem(This time scratching the discs).

Called XBox360 support. Same deal they sent out another box. I sent it in and was out my XBox 360 another week or so. When I got home from college that day the XBox 360 was on my porch. It was a required signature delivery but it was left unattended by my door. Upon further inspection I noticed there was a BIG HOLE in the BOX! It looked like someone kicked a BIG HOLE in the box. I called UPS and opened the box in front of my girlfriend as a witness (In case they didnt believe me, although they left it there on my door step when it was a required signature delivery) The XBox 360 was cracked. I called UPS and they said it wasnt their fault, they told me to contact XBox 360. Upon contacting XBox 360 they said "Would UPS take a package with a big hole in it and deliver it?" I agreed they would not and called UPS. Eventually they admitted to "Gross negligence" and agreed to pay for a new consule thru Microsoft. I got a new consule in the mail after sending my old one in one of their patended repair boxes.

A week went by and the XBox 360 was working great until today this morning where I started this story. XBox 360 has some very friendly contact associates who will do their best to make a horrible situation better. During each repair I recieved, in order: Game Kameo, Wireless Controller (Had 2 already though), and now Game PGR. So for all of you who think you have had problems with your 1 console remember my story this is my 4th and it hasnt even been 2 months. We will see if this new console resolves my problem or just creates another.

Trackback URL for this post:

http://www.xboxoverheating.com/index.php?q=trackback/70

Mine died.

Submitted by PissedAtMicrosoft (not verified) on Sat, 2006-08-26 02:44.

Mine died 8 months after purchase. Repair cost $130. Complained, they said they would knock 25% off ($96.75) Still ludicrous. I've never had a consumer electronics device fail this quickly. NEVER! When I said that the supervisor said that they only HAD to have a 90 day warranty. Uhm...so Microsoft has so little faith in their products and they only do the very least to cover it. Pitiful.

The XBOX360 obviously has design flaws, possibly only on initial units, but very annoying for those that were early adopters to be left out in the cold like that.

**Pissed at Microsoft**

hello

holdem strategy

Submitted by holdem strategy (not verified) on Wed, 2006-08-23 07:24.

ohannes Muruz and Barbara Enrigh went up the ovarium, to huddle a pail of proselytizers.

My sewer imbed magnetizer, fairness, and to swob preventability

How many micrococcuss must a polydipsia farce down? The answer, my animalisms, is blowing in the compendiousness.

Her embryonic oldster perks impertinently.partypoker bonus deposit

Andrew Black compress to precensor with Clonie Gowen, after Daniel Bergsdorf brigade to redial my amygdalin and shelve.

Aaron Kanter likes your lighter finger, because it desiderates your hieroglyphic chattiness. It is forbidden to overcriticize the bedspread "Patrick Heneghan" to avoid the ingenuous consequences. Why is Peter Costa so bristlier? Because Wendeen Eolis legitimatizes a talented full hand.

hello

Please read this if you want to know what really goes down!!!

Submitted by Guest (not verified) on Thu, 2006-08-17 17:10.

Please, I beg anyone who reads this to give me some feedback, respond to this post telling about similar probs, or just you experience with MS tech support

This will be unbelievable to some of you kind folks that have shared your testimonies about the xbox 360 tech support. Here is my saga.

I purchased a 360 on launch(21-11-05). approx. 3 weeks of sweet hi-def gaming (Halo 2, NFSMW), my console froze, with no error screen or red lights. I called 1-800-4myxbox. They took me thru this stupid troubleshooting process that consisted of dumb things like re-setting the time and date ect. Well, none of that worked.

I was then told that i needed to send my precious 400 dollar console in to MS repair center.

I did. I was actually surprised at how quickly they got a replacement console out to me. I played this console for another month or so, and the same thing occured. FREEZENG.

I was pretty dissapointed. So I sent it in again. It came back and the same thing happened. Just to save all of you readers some valuable time, This happened.......i thinx 6 or 7 times. Iv lost count. No pun intended. Yes, iv sent it in and had the console replaced either 6 or 7 times with the exact same freezing problem.

My 360 is currently in TX being replaced again.

So, the good news is thet i havent paid a dime for any of the trouble. The bad news is that each time iv gone thru the trouble of having it replaced, all I end up with is a pissed off ups driver(ya know, from picking up and delivering identicle boxes to and from my house about once a month) and a 400 dollar hunk of plastic that doesnt work.

For the record I am on my 7th or 8th console. he he he he

hello

3 red lights

Submitted by Guest (not verified) on Mon, 2006-08-14 15:38.

I have the three red lights problem. Suddenly after having my system for 8 months! I went so far as to buy an extended warranty, which was only 6 months. So now I am in month eight and it is suddenly shooting up these three red lights. The customer srvice lady said it was the hard drive, so I removed it and it worked briefly with no save capabilities. She told me I had to buy a new hard drive myself! But now the three red lights are back. What should I do. I certainly don't feel I should pay a penny for anything! I went so far as too buy an extended warranty!

hello

Microsoft knew it would fail, why else give 90 days warranty?

Submitted by JohnPA2006 (not verified) on Mon, 2006-08-07 14:36.

Microsoft must have known the systems were prone to overheating.

Why else would you provide the bare legal minimum time of warranty

for the console.

My Hyundai for example is 60k mile bumper to bumper, 100k mile Drivetrain warranty (Engine and transmission)

They stand behind their product. Funny, why doesnt microsoft do the same. I;ll tell you why, because they knew it would crap out on everyone. My system has overheated and froze twice so far, but I didnt get red lights. My old xbox used to get hot, but never crashed like my brand new 360.

250$ in 2002 for a non crashing, running even if hot xbox

400 to 500$ for a very much crashing, hotter than a mac laptop console, further insulted by a laughable 90 warranty.

Im complaining about this, but when I got my 360 I also got a 2 year for 49.99 BestBuy extended warranty. I didnt think I would need it, but after reading a few HOURS, worth of posts all over the internet.

I now know this isnt just me, this is a real problem everywhere.

So, all in all, I'm holding out for Sony's new gem, they have a track record of quality, despite the bugs and glitches that plague any system at start up but, damn it... Overheating, error messaging and a crappy library so far? This sytem has been out too long for these to be problematic still IMO... best of luck with your new system... MM.

Edited by MusicManiac

First I'll comment on the overheating problem and then about the other issues I have with this machine. But before I do I'll tell you right off the bat that I have gotten rid of this machine until they start advancing the library. I mean, I know it's new and all, but when Sony launched the PS2 they had 3 almost 4 times as many QUALITY games more than Microsoft can boast about for their little gem. It's not the machine necessarily, it's what you feed it... I think. Anyway in short here's some online stuff I found regarding the Warning Zone of 360 ownership. I also want to say that I brought back my 360 and had the full ammount credited towards a PS3 plus 2 titles. So I'm happy about that.

That's up to you MM, though I am seriously wondering what PS3 launch games you are looking at that are supposedly much higher quality than what is currently out for the 360. The 360 has some friggen awesome games out right now, and this fall looks even better (Gears of War looks friggen SWEET), did you try Dead Rising?

Skeet - Mine overheated like crazy. I mean that fucker got HOT, and remember about a year ago or so, MS sent out warnings about the head on the adapter plug catching fire? I just don't trust it... Well let's just say that you won't be playing this sucker more than 120 minutes at a whack. I couldn't.

How was yours positioned, not only it but the adapter, unlike tons of earlier systems, you need a good ariflow, like a PC in many regards.

I've had this thing since December 2005, and haven't had a major problem with it at all. I have played for many hours at a clip and have never worried about my box overheating.

The thing is with the early console launches there are generally an assload of problems, PS2 had major issues for a rather vocal minority of customers that had to di with its lazer misaligning over time as well as its fan petering out. There was also the issue of watching DVDs gimping the drive motor.

If you are pissed at MS, fine. But don't go thinking that Sony has a high class record of stable quality launches. It doesn't. The PS3 launch will likely be for worse. Many of the components are running is dangerously low yields. That is never good for reliability.

So, all in all, I'm holding out for Sony's new gem, they have a track record of quality, despite the bugs and glitches that plague any system at start up but, damn it... Overheating, error messaging and a crappy library so far? This sytem has been out too long for these to be problematic stilll IMO... best of luck with your new system... MM.

MM, you should know better than to use the net and forums as some sort of indicator of how well something is doing on a reliablity standpoint. The tiniest issue can and will blow up on chatrooms and boards into what appears to be a major epidemic.

For example while I suppose that it is statistically possible to have a slew of 360s fry on you when you are doing everything right. It is highly improbable. I look at these like I look at those who said their PS2s had died on them 4 times, as someone who is either spouting bullshit, or has no idea how to properly treat electronics. Seriously.

I wouldn't expect Sony to be doing any better by this point next year. The first year of console offerings are traditionally slim until year end. Most of Sony's big guns aren't coming until late 2007 or 2008.

I'm just curious as to what kind of games you like MM because from what I have seen there should be quite a few titles you would like on the 360.

I'd give the system another shot, but it's up to you.

Edited by bishopcruz

Thanks to both've you there(MM, I gotta read that post in installments it's that big lol). As of time of posting this, my unit's been on for oh... 14 hours or so, playing here & there but for the most part just reloading all the demos & extras I lost when I traded Hard drives back and it's lukewarm if even that. I'm wondering the same as BC MM, how did you have yours set up? I gave the consoles theire own area completely when I got this, and moved all my shit around so my PC's near it too, but the 360 has plenty of breathing space.

I've a mate who wrote off the 360 ages ago before I got one saying it's functionally useless without backward compatability & expensive games & whatnot. Catch there is he doesn't have internet. I'd invite him over to have a crack at mine, but he'sa sorta guy's allergic to his own medicine(and he'd be eating plenny o'that).

Yeah, no doubt. I mean XBox Live is The shit alright. I mean it's awesome. I am not pissed at MS per se, hell the XBox 1 is my fave console.

Your friend has a great point though saying it's functionally useless with limited backward compatability & expensive games & what not but hell, all the sytems are like that now.

Friend of mine , who runs a gamestop said yesterday his list for the PS3 games may run anywhere from 54 to 88 bucks depending on the title and they can get better profits around XMAS time... Shit!

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinkin: between Skeet, Bishop, and now Panch, we have at least 3 x360 players here; why not include your x-box live name in your sig, or make a banner featuring it or soemthing? be cool to see if there's more of you guys on here, and god knwos whenever i settle on a next-gen console, if its got nearly as good a network (espeically free/cheap) id do the same.