Hondo's Bar

Nintendo Wii

The NZA

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is indeed interesting, jax....guess we'll wait & see how and if its implemented.

E3''s coming, and i for one am hoping for more online functionality in a future update...ill be honest, my wii's offline the last week or so to save room/power. There's just no reason right now till they either add content/gameplay or virtual console titles i really want.

But its not to say the system's without legs....we're looking at announcements for Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros and more for the holidays, with Strikers and Metroid 3 for the summer. I dig it, but this is more or less what i had on the Gamecube (1st party games, primarily) and theyre dropping almost all the big ones this year...next year'll be Mario Kart, then (id imagine) some older properties like Pikmin, Kid Icarus (?), hopefully a Punch-Out!! and a Mario Paint.

Wii sales are finally slowing down, but theyve got a great install base. 3rd party titles keep saying theyre coming, and i dont doubt it as production is a lot cheaper on that front, but im really expecting more from them this time. That's not to say games like RE4 and Eternal Darkness werent great last time, but when the Grand Theft Autos, Halos, Final Fantasies and Metal Gears start dropping later this year and Wii's left out, im wondering what those compaines will offer it.

2007-05-30.png

also:

strip156.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Manhunt 2 getting essentially the axe (first, no go in UK/Ireland, then, the Adults Only rating meant the big box stores - Wal-Mart etc wont sell it; finally, Nintendo and Sony said they wouldnt have that rating on their system), has been all the talk this week, seriously.

some gamers are seriously thinking, putting in the crazy shit weve been hearing, knowing it woudlnt fly, mightve been the best commercial move rockstar ever pulled! nothing like getting people talking right before GTA IV.

think about it: not many people were really talking about this sequel; now? its all over the place, bravo, take 2.

ps Wii all over the Iredeemable Ant-Man!

marvel_gets_its_wii_on_lg.jpg

im sure it does, itd better for the price - but i get lost on the #'s. if the image is only created in 480i, how much sharper can you make it? If i up the resoultion on a lesser image to that extent, i just dont know how much better it'll get...

eh, you jump the gun too much, Smash Bros and a few others show up later, you might yet regret this.

In all honesty tho, i can kinda understand, im not touching mine since Paper Mario tied up. Im looking to rent Mario Strikers to see how it plays online next month, mebbe Metroid: Corruption the following month...it looks good, and i dug Prime, i just never finished it.

The rest of the year's about Mario Galaxy (hopefully better than Sunshine) and of course Smash Bros, as im really starting to doubt Animal Crossing anytime soon. But to be honest, 3rd party support doesnt look any better than it did on my Gamecube: i loved RE4 but im just not buying it again. Umbrella Chronicles just announced a co-op mode that has me looking forward to it, but that's it, im not all on No More Heroes or anything else im seeing.

System is selling like fucking hotcakes (everywhere but Oz, iroincially) but its underperforming for me so far. Im likely biased to my more expensive PS3, but i cant honestly say ive given one more a shot than the other, ive rented about every interesting-looking title for the Wii so far this side of Cooking Mama and Brain Academy (i figure they can mebbe wait till i too join the DS club down the road).

Every month, i read "PS3 has no games!" bitching but i dont see what more's over here just yet. Hopefully, holidays'll improve things for everyone like theyre looking.

ill never erase Skeet, tho

• 3 weeks later...

I like that Skeet keeps his friend code in his sig, for kicks.

In all seriousness, im looking to rent RE4 sometime just to give my system use after Paper Mario...its been a while. Was close to renting Brain Age and mebbe Cooking Mama but frankly, i think such mini-games can wait till i inevitably get a DS one day, cause Trauma Center taught me it might be ideal to play things on their original format.

That said, for Jax:

Man, we don't get any of the good titles in Europe yet.

Last game i got was Mario Strikers, which is fun.

Looking forward to Trauma Centre, Paper Mario, and i've read glowing reviews of RE4.

Seems to me at the moment while Nintendo are waiting for the 3rd party developers to realise the potential of the Wii they're concentrating on the social/party gaming aspect by releasing such titles as Mario Party, Cooking Mama, Brain Academy etc, strangely enough though it seems from what i've read EA are really making a go of the system. And the next launches of Madden and Tiger Woods will be even better than the ones previously.

I hear you guys. The Wii just has SO much potential and the sales numbers to potentially pull off a coup, but I think its floundering a bit. Galaxy, Corruption and Brawl all look fantastic, but I don't see much on the horizon. Strikers was completely under my radar (never played the first one), but I'm seriously thinking about picking it up tommorrow just on the strength of some of the reviews I've read.

Picked up Strikers this morning and I have to say I'm having fun with it!! At first the single player seemed WAY TOO easy, and I was winning matches 15-2. By the final match of the Fire Cup championships however, I was sweating over a score tied at 3 in sudden death. I eaked out at goal at the last second to win the cup and actually yelled out "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAL!!!" I had really gotten into it! It has great multiplayer potential, and just might oust Mario Party 8 at my next gaming night!

If youre like me, and dont have your Wii plugged into the internets, you mighta missed last week's firmware update. Few things it tidied up, i forget the specifics, but some've said keyboards are working, just not online. Mostly, alls i saw was the new clock.

2007-08-08.jpg

• 3 months later...

Those still holding out on Mario Galaxy (cant imagine why; reviews are calling it a return to the series' greatness), i got it at Toys R' Us for $50 with $25 in credit back, to be used on Assassin's Creed most likely, but point is, it was a great deal.

Jax: Mario64 was in no way short, unless you just finished it and didnt go back for all 120 stars. Cmon man, that game was the best one since Mario 3, i only picked this one up so quickly cause reviewers kept comparing this to that one.

• 5 months later...

ok, so the Wii homebrew scene is quickly taking shape. I meant to research the newest discloader or whatever (for playing imports) but instead, found this & had to post it - play Lucasarts SCUMM games from your Wii?

i swear, those games are becoming the new benchmark of homebrew; ive got em on my PSP & DS both. I just need someone to work Grim Fandango in somehow.

in other awesome news, Earthbound just got reviewed by the ESRB, so Wii VC love for Earthbound soon, yay!! :FHD: dear god, please let this lead to them bringing Mother 3 over here finally.

• 1 month later...

hey, so there's a new update for the Wii, as some might've noticed, but just in case any of you are running cool homebrew like SCUMM VM, dont update! The Twilight Princess exploit/hack is removed with it.

i never got around to trying this like id wanted to, and now ill have to wait for the next exploit. god bless homebrew.