Hondo's Bar

Batman Begins

onesheet.jpg

1) im pretty fuckin hyped; this is the "Year One" stuff with an amazing cast. Between this and Sin City, this year's all about showcasing Frank Miller (and kind of crapping on Alan Moore, ironically).

2) Newsarama has what appears to be a largely spoiler-free review up, and it sounds like its living up to its potential.

Sadly, ill be on the other coast when it comes up, or id try to meet up a few hondonians for sure. Anyone else stoked?

5BAS0030_t.jpg

ps there's prolly not enough of this, but we'll see.

Cant find any reference of this online but this was in the Manchester Evening News's quotes of the day:

"It's called Sin. I even felt sorry for the trees they cutdown for the script paper. If youare a connoisseur of the terrible you might get a twisted joy out of it." - Batman star Gary Oldman on his appearance in what he describes as the worst movie ever made.

That mean he's not on for a sequel?

Wow, that was pretty fucking great. I expected it to be good, but it really surprised me. It was so intense... batman was scaring the living crap out of me when he interrogated people. Some of my favorite stuff were the Jim Gordon scenes, cause his character was straight out of Year One. I can't really say enough about it, it pretty much blew me away. I definately put it right up there with Spiderman 2 and I loved spiderman 2.

This movie exceed my already high expectations. It's rare that I have high expectations and they get exceeded.

I have felt for a long time (and I believe a few others one this board, namely Nick, have agreed) that origin stories in superhero movie may be somewhat necesary, but they kind of hold a good plot back and you want them to get through it fast so they can concentrate of the real story. This movie had by far the best Superhero movie origin story I'v ever seen! They dealt with his childhood in nightmare/flashbacks, and it worked really well.

Neeson, Oldman, and of course Bale, stoel the show, but everyone was really great, even Katie Holmes, who was the one actor attached to the project that I found most people were worried about. She was easily the most interesting Batman movie girl. Easily miles beyond the one dimensional character portrayed by Kim Bassinger and Nicole Kidman. Cillian Murphy and Micharl Caine do great jobs too. Every tiny little roles was played really well. Expect maybe Bruce's father, who came off as too cold, but maybe that was all part fo the iodea. He was part of his dreams, cold and distant.

I'm am totally pysched about seeing this franchise continue in this direction.

:D Just got back from watching a late showing and let me tell you it was the shits! Everything was great. I enjoyed it tremendously. My boyfriend and I are actually gonna watch it again on Friday... it's really good! I love the car. "I gotta get me one of those." The open ending is great too. :D

imdb has a long trivia page for this movie. This is by far the funniest bit of trivia:

"While shooting on the streets of Chicago, a person accidentally crashed into the Batmobile. The driver was apparently drunk, and said he hit the car in a state of panic, believing the Dark Knight's vehicle to be an invading alien spacecraft."

:D Shit, that was even better than id hoped.

Bale knocked it out the park, the whole cast was fun, and i had way more fun with the villians than i thought i would.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

So yeah, ridiculously good for a superhero flick, I personally enjoyed it more than even Spider-Man but dont tell Panch.. :fuming: I cant posibly see it as any kind of prequel, but its own franchise: Burton & them didnt play this Batman at all. Well worth the $ for IMAX. :fuming:

From IMDb:

Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman have signed to star in a second Batman movie, but love interest Katie Holmes has been dropped. Movie bosses are thrilled with the response to Batman Begins - it took $46.9 million in its first weekend at the US box office - and have snapped up the film's stars for a sequel. Bale as Batman was the first to put pen to paper, followed by Caine as butler Alfred and Freeman as Bruce Wayne's business associate Lucius Fox. But Holmes won't reprise her role as district attorney Rachel Dawes - reportedly because Warner Bros is angry her engagement to Tom Cruise has stolen media attention away from the movie. A source tells Pagesix.Com, "Everyone is in agreement that the movie's strength is with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman." Adding of Holmes, "She won't be in the sequel... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress. Warner is happy that people are now focusing on who'll be playing the Joker rather than Katie and Tom."

Now I can understand if they think the Rachel Dawes character has run it's course, that's probably true. But that last remark was just petty. Holmes did a fine job in the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this tonight, man it blew me away, quite literally, the subs in that cinema were revved up to the max!!!

I enjoyed every minute of this film, no real criticism of it, cos it all rocked!

Where can i get one of those batmobiles? :D

Cillian Murphy played a great part as the Scarecrow, who was pretty intense!!!!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

As for Katie Holmes, i'm not averse to her being there, and she played a good enough part, but maybe she just isn't gritty enough for such a place as gotham!

The screenplay was co written by David Goyer sp the dude who wrote the blade trilogy. Good job!

This is probably the best film i've seen so far this year... and that beats the Sith!!!

Go Batman!! :D

RIP Joel Schumachers tainted image of the Dark Knight

Edited by soldier of fortune

• 1 year later...