Hondo's Bar

Oscars 2006

Not a whole lot of surprises on this list this year. I'll comment on the big categories (screw you, sound mixing!)

Ok so the nominees are...

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Brokeback Mountain

Capote

Crash

Good Night, and Good Luck

Munich

Of the Best Picture noms, Brokeback Mountain is the favorite, and has the most nominations of any movie this year. But that's not to say it's a sure sweep. Good Night and Capote are both strong contenders, and Munich has advantages in its intense subject matter and high production values - not to mention Spielberg's name. But I think if any movie is going to teach the Academy how to quit Brokeback, it's the little movie called Crash. Despite getting only a limited release way back in May, Crash has continuously made every major critic's top-ten list - often at the top. And even more telling, its recent win at the Screen Actor's Guild Awards just proves that it hasn't been forgotten - plus SAG members make up a majority of the Academy voters.

Achievement in Directing

Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain

Bennett Miller for Capote

Paul Haggis for Crash

George Clooney for Good Night, and Good Luck

Steven Spielberg for Munich

It's odd to note the relative inexperience of most of the Best Director noms. Spielberg and Lee are, of course, well established names but Good Night, and Good Luck is only Clooney's second film. And Haggis and Miller are getting noms for their feature film debuts. This year has not been missing the usual epic best picture fodder from well-name directors - Jackson's [i[King Kong[/i], Marshall's Memoirs of a Geisha, Howard's Cinderella Man and Mallick's The New World to name just a few - so it's kinda interesting that the Academy chose to honor more personal projects over the grand-scale ones this year. Anyway, my pick is for Lee to be the front-runner. Especially if Crash edges past Brokeback in the Best Picture race, Lee might get Director as a consolation prize.

Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote

Terrence Howard for Hustle & Flow

Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain

Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line

David Strathairn for Good Night, and Good Luck

Signs point to this being Hoffman's year in the big acting category. Voters and audiences love to see actors portray real people, as evidenced by Jamie Fox's win last year, and the three out of five nominations for non-fiction roles this year. As with most categories this year, though, it's hardly a sure bet since Phoenix and Ledger are both very strong contenders. But if there's going to be an underdog coming from behind, it'll be Terrence Howard who has had a hell of a year with Hustle's surprising success and a great performance in Crash (then again, who didn't give a great performance in Crash?). Despite a commanding performance, Straithairn is certainly the dark horse of this race and if he wins it'd be quite a surprise.

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

George Clooney for Syriana

Matt Dillon for Crash

Paul Giamatti for Cinderella Man

Jake Gyllenhaal for Brokeback Mountain

William Hurt for A History of Violence

My vote's for Gyllenhaal. Clooney's had a good year, but most of the attention he's gotten has been as a writer/director, not for his performances. William Hurt may have done great in A History of Violence but it sounds like (and correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen it yet) his part was just too small to be a contender against some of these other roles. Only Judi Dench can win supporting Oscars for miniscule parts. Matt Dillon was great in Crash but everyone was great in Crash so it would be strange if he won the only acting award for it. And finally, I think Giamatti's nomination is nothing but an apology from the Academy for forgetting his performance in Sideways last year. Yeah, my money's on Gyllenhaal.

Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Judi Dench for Mrs. Henderson Presents

Felicity Huffman for Transamerica

Keira Knightley for Pride & Prejudice

Charlize Theron for North Country

Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line

Anyone's race. Many signs point to Witherspoon being the favorite, especially after her SAG win, but don't count out the other nominees. Knightley has a strong chance due to the "oh my god, she can act" quality of her performance, often being called the best in a long line of Elizabeth Bennets. And let's not forget the fact that due to a potent cocktail of talent and experience, Judi Dench can do no wrong. And if there's a dark horse with the chops to come from behind and take it all, it's definitely Felicity Huffman. The only one who, I think, doesn't have much of a chance is Charlize Theron, whose North Country role will constantly be compared to her recent win in Monster - unfavorably.

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams for Junebug

Catherine Keener for Capote

Frances McDormand for North Country

Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener

Michelle Williams for Brokeback Mountain

Rachel Weisz because of her SAG win. Michelle Williams because of the Brokeback Mountain wave. Amy Adams because she's the only representation for the critically-loved Junebug on the entire list. Frances McDormand and Catherine Keener just for being Frances McDormand and Catherine Keener. This one's anyone's guess.

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Howl's Moving Castle

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Foreign language films always have trouble in any category but the foreign language category and most reviews have indicated that Howl's Moving Castle is good, but not say...Spirited Away good. I think the fight will be between the Corpse Bride and Wallace & Gromit. I'd say, look for W&G to win due to its easily accessible subject matter and innocent good-natured humor. The sympathy vote - Aardman studios burned to the ground the weekend of the movie's release - counts as well. It's also interesting to note that, just a couple years after movie studios jumped on the bandwagon of proclaiming computer animation the only type of animation audiences want to see, we get a Best Animated category that doesn't contain a single cg movie. Who'd have thought.

Achievement in Art Direction

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

King Kong

Memoirs of a Geisha

Pride & Prejudice

Achievement in Cinematography

Batman Begins

Brokeback Mountain

Memoirs of a Geisha

The New World

Achievement in Costume Design

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Memoirs of a Geisha

Mrs. Henderson Presents

Pride & Prejudice

Walk the Line

Best Documentary Feature

Darwin's Nightmare

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

March of the Penguins

Murderball

Street Fight

I can see March of the Penguins easily winning because of the populist vote, but it's hard to remember a year with so many strong and well-received documentaries in the category. Murderball also has a shot for its social relevance, despite never finding much of an audience.

Best Documentary Short Subject

The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club

God Sleeps in Rwanda

The Mushroom Club

A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin

Achievement in Film Editing

Cinderella Man

The Constant Gardener

Crash

Munich

Walk the Line

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Don't Tell

Joyeux Noel

Paradise Now

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Tsotsi

Achievement in Makeup

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Cinderella Man

Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Original Score

Gustavo Santaolalla for Brokeback Mountain

Alberto Iglesias for The Constant Gardener

John Williams for Memoirs of a Geisha

John Williams for Munich

Dario Marianelli for Pride & Prejudice

Original Song

"In the Deep" from Crash

"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle & Flow

"Travelin' Thru" from Transamerica

Best Animated Short Film

Badgered

The Moon and the Sun: An Imagined Conversation

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello

One Man Band

Best Live Action Short Film

Ausreisser (The Runaway)

Cashback

The Last Farm

Our Time Is Up

Six Shooter

Achievement in Sound Editing

King Kong

Memoirs of a Geisha

War of the Worlds

Achievement in Sount Mixing

King Kong

Memoirs of a Geisha

Walk the Line

War of the Worlds

Achievement in Visual Effects

King Kong

War of the Worlds

Adapted Screenplay

Brokeback Mountain

Capote

The Constant Gardener

A History of Violence

Munich

Brokeback Mountain. C'mon, turning a short story into a cultural phenomena ("I don't know how to quit you" is this year's "show me the money") and the year's most talked about movie. Easy.

Original Screenplay

Crash

Match Point

The Squid and the Whale

Syriana

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if crash wins for anything, i will break my tv. i think it's the most overrated movie in the history of film. the only redeeming quality was terrence howard's performance and the way they dealt with his story in particular. they should have made the movie about him and his life. his was the only character who felt real and had some depth to me. everyone else just seemed like a stereotype. if they could have developed the other characters in the same way, i probably would have liked the movie a hell of a lot more.

man, these lists always make me realize i really didnt see shit this year - the cash one, not much else. wanted to see syriana and jarhead, debated about hustle & flow, that's it - which ones were hondonian picks here, which ones you guys wanna see win, for those that saw at least a few off these lists?

I seriously believe that Felicity Huffman will win for Transamerica. And Hoffman will win for Capote...but Ledger still has a bit of a shot. Then Brokeback for best picture. It will be "The Gay Year" at the oscars, and the media will of course create a huge circus over that no doubt.

As for the rest of it, eh Supporting, I'm goin with Clooney for the actors, and either Williams or Keener for the ladies.

PS: These are not neccessarily my picks, just predictions.

I think it'll go to brokeback, but I wouldn't be surprised if Crash got it. I would like if Goodnight and Good luck or Munich got it, but that will never happen. I think most of Bob's predictions are good ones.

I don't get overly excited about the oscars nowadays. I hope a good film wins it, but a lot of the best films never get considered. For example, Grizzly man, the best documentary of the year by far, and 2046, the best looking movie of the year by far. Also, maybe two or three people in the country saw Palindromes, one of my favorites of the year. Hell try to imagine a world where the academy would nominate Oldboy even for best foreign film. Eh. Whatever.

Munich really, really didn't entertain me.

( Exept the bed-bomb. )

I have been told I am quite entertaining! :)

I saw good night, and good luck. It was nothing what I expected... b/c I didnt review it first, just up and saw it. It was a good drama, and I like how it played out. I thought it was put together pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
What's the word and what's eveyone's take on Stewart hosting?

Brilliant.

I haven't been able to watch the Oscars in recent years (no TV) but I'll definitely be seeing this one. And yes, for Stewart, as none of the nominees really surprised me and some categories just piss me off anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck you Academy.

George Clooney........ gimmee a break

Ya got screwed Matty.

First fuck up of the night.

On another note the Gay Cowboy parody at the start of the show Stewart put together had me pissing my drawers. Dolly Parton sucks btw.

clooney42it.jpg

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

George Clooney

SYRIANA

Achievement in Visual Effects

KING KONG

Joe Letteri, Brian Van't Hul, Christian Rivers and Richard Taylor

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

Nick Park and Steve Box

Best Live Action Short Film

SIX SHOOTER

Martin McDonagh

Best Animated Short Film

THE MOON AND THE SON: AN IMAGINED CONVERSATION

John Canemaker and Peggy Stern

Achievement in Costume Design

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Colleen Atwood

Achievement in Makeup

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE

Howard Berger and Tami Lane

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Rachel Weisz

THE CONSTANT GARDENER

Best Documentary Short Subject

A NOTE OF TRIUMPH: THE GOLDEN AGE OF NORMAN CORWIN

Corinne Marrinan and Eric Simonson

Best Documentary Feature

MARCH OF THE PENGUINS

Luc Jacquet and Yves Darondeau

Achievement in Art Direction

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

John Myhre (Art Direction); Gretchen Rau (Set Decoration)

Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Score)

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Gustavo Santaolalla

Achievement in Sound Mixing

KING KONG

Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges and Hammond Peek

Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)

"IT'S HARD OUT HERE FOR A PIMP" FROM HUSTLE & FLOW

Music and Lyric by Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard

Achievement in Sound Editing

KING KONG

Mike Hopkins and Ethan Van der Ryn

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

TSOTSI

South Africa

Achievement in Film Editing

CRASH

Hughes Winborne

Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Philip Seymour Hoffman

CAPOTE

Achievement in Cinematography

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

Dion Beebe

Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Reese Witherspoon

WALK THE LINE

Adapted Screenplay

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Screenplay by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana

Original Screenplay

CRASH

Screenplay by Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco; Story by Paul Haggis

Achievement in Directing

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Ang Lee

Best Motion Picture of the Year

CRASH

Paul Haggis and Cathy Schulman

I am OUTRAGED! King Kong for Achievement in Sound Mixing?! The Academy is all political anyway. Sorry to Adam and Kara on the loss to March of the Penguins. They say it's an honr to be nominated, but in this case, it's just a clear indication that Hollywood hates wheelers.

Guilty as charged... I had to watch the Oscars last night...

Okay *claps hands together and rubs them together*, so, I'm sure the movie freaks will post like mad about the Oscars today, here's a few thoughts I had on "Oscar" night...

* First off I want to say how happy I am that Paul Haggis and CRASH, did well, and upset the hallucination of a sweep by Brokeback. I wanted Dillion to pull it out but hey, you'd be a fool to believe that after all the ass licking Clonney has done in Hollywood, there had to be a mercy award given out to him and there was no fucking way he winning Director. :bored:

* Charlize Theron. Oh-MY-Gawd..... it's unholy how gorgeous she is. True she was wearing a 1950's promdress complete with gigantic tie off at on the left shoulder, but damn it she's hot! I would have liked to see her have won also, not only because, I'm biased in being her fan but because her performance was better than the other actresses in her category. Oh well. :ok:

* Loved the "tongue-in-cheek, make -a-point-Jon-about-Piracy-but-in-a-kidding-way" bit. Hats off to Stewart for pulling it off. I me, listen- I do pay alot of money and pour hours of my time into the glam that is Hollywood,

as far as the public service announcement goes though... Save it.

I have had enough of that. I mean, c'mon... Every year, we give out service awards for Excellence at my work, in our field. I can't remember the last time I got a $100,000.00 dollar "Gift-Basket" as a presenter or speaker. In fact, I won the damn award and it was 25 bucks to the Outback... so please. :blink:

* Jamie Foxx needs to start dating prettier women. Or at least bringing them out in public.......... The date he brought looked like Flo from Good Times........Holy hell Jaime. :blink:

* All in all though it wasn't too bad. Yeah the awards themselves are overated and a chance for us, the viwer (as we are constantly reminded "Billions watching") to enjoy a gawk fest at the so called Stars of Hollywood, but that's what we earned to do, I mean there's a sucker born every minute right?

:???:

Right.

Archived