Hondo's Bar

Toy Box Blargh!

• 2 weeks later...

damn, i must have/have had like a dozen spidey figures but none can actually get into the wallcrawling position...that's pretty cool

I just counted, and over the years I've amassed six Spidey figs, four from recent Marvel Legends 6'' line and two from back in the day. And you're absolutely right, none can get into that pose. What's more frustrating is none of them have ever been packaged with webbing accessories. Now that Legends is putting out a new line of Spidey figs every year, you'd think they'd start finally doing that, but the Legends Homecoming line looks to have nada in the webbing department and the same articulation as previous figs. It's a bummer a collector has to put down $40-$60 for a Spidey figure to get a display stand and webbing. In Legends' defense though, they've been good about alternate hand sculpts and even unmasked alternate head sculpts with the last two lines.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Transformers,' 'My Little Pony' and More to be Showcased at 3 Day Hasbro Convemtion

The first 'HASCON FANmily' event will take place in Rhode Island this September.

Hasbro Inc. has some of the biggest brands — and most dedicated fans — with properties including Transformers, G.I. Joe and My Little Pony in its portfolio. This September, the company will celebrate its success with the launch of the first-ever convention dedicated exclusively to Hasbro properties, with a number of fan-favorite special guests.

The three-day HASCON FANmily event will take place Sept. 8-10 at the Rhode Island Convention Center and Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, with guests including Transformers producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, Transformers voice talent Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic voice talent Andrea Libman and Cathy Weseluck.

"Hasbro constantly strives for new ways to bring our storytelling to life and offer fans greater access to our brands, and HASCON is designed to bring attendees closer to Hasbro’s biggest properties than ever before," Hasbro President John Frascotti said in a statement. "We are assembling the ultimate fan celebration, with three days of marquee talent, interactive activities, immersive experiences, game events, panel discussions, VIP events and much more. We’re set to deliver an unforgettable experience for fans and families alike."

Massive toy seller Hasbro is getting into the event business. Today, the company opened ticket sales for Hascon FANmily (get it?), a convention to be held in Providence, Rhode Island on September 8-10, 2017.

The three-day fan convention will include all the attractions subculture buffs have begun to expect from such events, including meet and greets with Marvel’s Stan Lee and Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, producer of all the Transformers films. Also Chewbacca Mom, if you’re into that.

Conventions, once the domain of fan volunteers, are increasingly corporate-run, as NPR noted in a 2014 report. Comic-Con, a group of North American fan events that originated with one convention in San Diego, have become synonymous with popular culture in recent years. Event planning is difficult, as highly-visible fan-run catastrophe Dashcon 2014 demonstrated. Now, many fans are more comfortable entrusting their cash and security to seasoned corporations.

As corporations control more of the convention landscape, the fan-run conventions that remain are the ones that are run like businesses, too. Anime Expo, the largest U.S. anime convention, is a non-profit that employs 30 full-time employees.

Hasbro is its own authority on its many intellectual properties, and there’s no doubt that Nerf, My Little Pony, and G.I. Joe will be huge draws for families.

Single day tickets are available for $30 for youth up to age 15 and $60 for adults. Three-day tickets range from $75 for youth to $165 for adults, with VIP packages for the most ambitious collectors.

• 7 months later...

Excellent doc on Netflix for toy collectors / aficianados / history buffs -

1484933989-ttmu-01.jpg

toysthatmadeus-lineup-700x364.jpg

It's 4 one-hour episodes that cover the origin and explosion of 4 giant toy IPs...'Star Wars', 'Barbie', 'He-Man' and 'G.I. Joe'.

All encompassing, no-holds bar and definitive.  Highly recommended - super entertaining.  Really well done.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/26/2017 at 6:36 AM, Little Nemo McFly said:

Excellent doc on Netflix for toy collectors / aficianados / history buffs -

It's 4 one-hour episodes that cover the origin and explosion of 4 giant toy IPs...'Star Wars', 'Barbie', 'He-Man' and 'G.I. Joe'.

All encompassing, no-holds bar and definitive.  Highly recommended - super entertaining.  Really well done.

We just noticed this on Netflix today. Thanks for the recommendation! Pretty excited to check it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yuss! 

Hopefully S2 brings us Voltron and WWF/WWE, as I believe those are the biggest "boy" brands from the 80s that are left. I'm guessing My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake & maybe even Jem would be left for the 80s "girl" brands. Oh, and they have to do a Care Bears episode!, right? You can't mention 80s toys w/out the freakin' Care Bears. (Throw in a Gummi Bears segment while you're at it, Netflix!)

If this series continues (Six seasons and a movie, Netflix!!!) I hope some of the shorter lived 80s brands like M.A.S.K., Sectaurs, Captain Power, Rock Lords,  Teddy Ruxpin, etc., and the film franchise spin-offs (Batman, Rambo, RoboCop, Chuck Norris, Police Academy, etc.) get episodes before they move into the 90s stuff.

• Like 1

Yep - Cabbage Patch Kids were ginormous, too.

Yeah, they could get away spilling into the 90s a bit - that whole Power Ranges craze - 'member how hot those figures were for a while?  Early / mid-90s - but, it was totally a thing.  Beanie Babies...

The trick is - I guess, picking stuff w/ interesting 'Did You Know'-kinda backstories / fates...

A whole 80s film-franchise licensed-toy line episode would be greatness. 

Get sum REAL Ghostbusters in there!

XKV9o2o.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Adults are buying toys for themselves, and it’s the biggest source of growth for the industry

There are two things keeping the toy industry afloat right now: inflation and a consumer group known as "kidults."

These kids at heart are responsible for one-fourth of all toy sales annually, around $9 billion worth, and are the biggest driver of growth throughout the industry, according to data from the NPD Group.

Kidults, who tend to spend more on toys, have a great fondness for cartoons, superheroes and collectibles that remind them of their childhood. They buy merchandise such as action figures, Lego sets and dolls that might typically be considered "for kids." However, in recent years, toy makers have created product lines just for these consumers, realizing that demand is high for this generation of adults who still want to have fun.

"The definition of adulthood has definitely evolved," said Jeremy Padawer, chief brand officer at toy company Jazwares. "What it used to mean, to be an adult, was to be a very upstanding, serious member of society. And to do that you had to demonstrate it intellectually, emotionally, in every other single way."

"Now we feel a lot more free to express our fandom as a part of our adulthood," he said.

@Newtype & me literally hit each other up on the regular about figures we're both looking for, and have taken entire trips to find some - from rare walgreens/walmart etc marvel legends exclusives to me currently circulating targets tying to find jakks pacific sonic figures (chaos is nowhere to be found locally...), i absolutely buy more figures these days than i did back then, even when i ddi have money

a big part of this is that there's so much more catering to franchises i love, and mold/build quality with detail that i used to only see in statues.  having grown up on toy biz's horrible face molds, the detail & articulation today is incredible.  i still shell out for video game limited editions sometimes just to have a physical representation of something i've loved