Hondo's Bar

V for Vendetta

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
uhh it seems not to many of you have read the actual book by alan moore...

I read the book and enjoyed the movie.

if i were him i wouldve wanted my name removed too. in fact i am a creator of sorts and i would want my movies to resemble the books, if not don't make a bloody movie about it!

Dunno if you read my piece on Moore a few posts back but his beef was not with whether or not they resembled his books. He knows that they're two different mediums and are not going to be exactly the same ("Sin City" be damned!) but rather he really started getting vocal after a redonkulous law-suit he was dragged in to because of LXG.

"As long as I could distance myself by not seeing them," he said, he could profit from the films while leaving the original comics untouched, "assured no one would confuse the two"

V for Vendetta felt empty and shallow so many stuoid catch phrases, shit that really didnt have any real importance.

You're right. "Scary Movie 4" opens soon. I'll see you there. TO THE CINEPLEX!

It's not the book. It's never gonna be the book. But it's a good flick for what it is. Also it's better than 99% of the actioners that are out there right now.

in the book england is really fucked up not only politicaly but socially, economically and whatever other way, the movie didnt represent that, it felt like the only thing wrong with it was the lack of freedom of speech, there was much more to that.

At least it bore more resemblence to the original work than the other Moore movies (and can we now all stand up and give a round of applause for that scene in "Constantine" where he crumples up his pack of smokes).

i know what your thinking that those idiot brothers tried to make appealing to everyone

Especially dem republicans

or that it was to much story for a movie

C'mon now you can't deny that, the book is so fucking dense the movie would be 10 hours long if you put it all in. Then again, the thoughts of Paul Schaffer in the Fawkes get-up playing “This Vicious Cabaret" could be the greatest deleted scene never.

...bullshit...my friend and i were falling asleep!

So did I! So, like did they totally shave Natalie Portman...I mean totally?

X-men sucked balls but you all drooled when it came out, i hated that movie too,

Nah, this guy is pulling our collective chains.... :poison:

spiderman was great because it condensed as much history as it could, and was true to the series,

Fuck, really? I was kinda hoping you'd have a beef with the lack of webshooters?

i know V was not that off from the book, but it was like cut up into pieces and then put back together " a la " hollywood!

Well, anyways we all have our opinions and your's sir (or madame) is certainly against the grain. This could be the most controversial movie rant since that "Movies 2track Hates Thread". When the bitching at you comes come lay on my shoulder, friend, we shall overcome.

Welcome to Hondos BatDisciple and may the baiting begin!

More Moore this time from a BBC Radio 4 show with live studio audience...

I've decided I don't want anything more to do with films at all. After all the stuff with "The League," there'd been some minor law suit with somebody claiming that I had gotten the idea from an American Hollywood screen writer and you can imagine how I felt about that. So, I felt, if I'm going to react I might as well over react. (audience laughs) So, I said, right, that's it, no more Hollywood films. And if they do make films of my work, then I want my name taken off them and I want all the money given to the artists. I thought, God, that sounds principled (audience laughs) and almost heroic! (audience laughs) Then I got a phone call from Karen Berger the next Monday, she's an editor at DC Comics, and she said, "Yeah, we're going to be sending you a huge amount of money before the end of the year because they're making this film if your Constantie character with Keanu Reeves." I said, "Right, OK. (audience laughs) Well, take my name off of it and distribute my money amongst the other artists. I felt, well, that was difficult, but I did it and I feel pretty good about meself. Then I saw David Gibbons who I had done "Watchmen" with and he was saying, "Oh Alan, guess what, they're making the 'Watchmen' film." And I said, with tears streaming down my face, "Take my name off of it David. (sniffles)" (audience laughs) "You have all the money." Then I got a check for the "V for Vendetta" film. It was just, this was within three days!

Well thanks to the power of the internet and the theft of copyrighted works anarchy, I've read the original comics, and have to admit the movie was as faithful as could be expected. I disagree with how they ended the movie, in the comic we last see London in a state of rioting, the train is used to destroy Downing Street, but there's so sort of rally around it.

If the movie does one thing right, it gives more impact to the destruction of Parliament. In the comic, the destruction of buildings (Parliament the Bailey aswell as the Post Office Tower and Jordan tower, which are merged into the one building) are shown in tiny thumbnail sized panels, I'm sure this was a conscience choice by Moore to stop V from becoming an all out actioner, but it seemed to take away significance the acts. Neither version go into detail about how many people were killed in any of the attacks, which strikes me as a little lazy.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if I mentioned this, but to me the perfect ending to this movie would be when the Houses of Parliament are destroyed, the ground caves in and every idiot in a V mask is sucked into the Thames and their corpses washed into the sea.

oh man, i forgot people actually sign up with them legitimately....i remember in college, it was great, you could just fill out the online form for Art Vandale or whoever, get the 7 or whatever free CD's and check "bill me later", long as you knew someone in the campus post office...that was awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Watchmen's been in various forms of production for probably fifteen years now. Terry Gilliam was attached at one point. He would have directed a script written by Sam Hamm (he wrote the first Burton Batman film) but eventually decided the material was impossible to film as a two hour movie. He said he'd consider doing it as a miniseries but that never went anywhere. In recent years the project resurfaced again. First it went to Darren Aronofsky, probably not long after his Batman: Year One project fell through. Aronofsky passed to work on The Fountain. Next. Paul Greengrass (Bloody Sunday, The Bourne Supremacy, Flight 93) picked it up for a while, but he soon moved on too. Currently, the last director to be associated with it was Zack Snyder who did the Dawn of the Dead remake and is currently filming Frank Miller's 300. I'd say he's a step down from Gilliam, Aronofsky or Greengrass but I'll wait until 300 to cast final judgement. X-Men writer (and Solid Snake) David Hayter wrote a draft and expressed interest in directed it himself at one point (it would have been his first film as a director). Word is that Moore called Hayter's draft "as close as I could imagine anyone getting to Watchmen" though he still had no intentions of being associated with it. Casting rumors have been pretty varied, including rumblings of John Cusack as The Owl, Joan Allen as the original Silk Spectre and Daniel Craig as Rorschach. All rumors and idle talk. As far as I know, no actual work has ever been done on the movie aside from maybe some unpolished script drafts.

Archived