Hondo's Bar

V for Vendetta

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nonstop fun laughter!  After 5,000 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

I loved the movie, but HATE Allan Moore! He's a punk! So he got fucked over by DC! He's stupid, cause IT'S DC!! He's a baby for not putting his name on such an awesome movie!

what exactly dont you people get here?

Moore writes these things with layers, and said himself, he simply doesnt think they work as films. Doing work for companies like DC and Marvel means you dont get asked when it gets transfered. They used his name without his permission in pre-release hype, nad he was right to make a fuss - if anything, i applaud him for not being a hypocrite; he says he wants noting to do with the film project, and stopped accepting royalty checks. Do you think comic writers make enough to turn down the big $ like that?

I dont even know if he say Leauge or From Hell or Constantine or even Swamp Thing, becuase he's agisnst the very principle of them. But DC did fuck him over, several times, and he's simply asked to be removed from this process. I personally respect him for standing by his guns, and its a shame everyone's gonna jump all over him for his integrity. This movie actually being good has nothing to do with any of that.

Smith (and especially McFarlane) would have to get on very high ladders to kiss his ass.

OK, with all the things to think about leaving the teather, only one question ran through my mind as I left and has since:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I don't know why you felt that needed spoiler tags, but whatever. To answer your question it really didn't bother me, I don't guess I even noticed it. But I assure you that now that it's been brought up it's gonna bother me from this day forth.

what exactly dont you people get here?

Moore writes these things with layers, and said himself, he simply doesnt think they work as films. Doing work for companies like DC and Marvel means you dont get asked when it gets transfered. They used his name without his permission in pre-release hype, nad he was right to make a fuss - if anything, i applaud him for not being a hypocrite; he says he wants noting to do with the film project, and stopped accepting royalty checks. Do you think comic writers make enough to turn down the big $ like that?

I dont even know if he say Leauge or From Hell or Constantine or even Swamp Thing, becuase he's agisnst the very principle of them. But DC did fuck him over, several times, and he's simply asked to be removed from this process. I personally respect him for standing by his guns, and its a shame everyone's gonna jump all over him for his integrity. This movie actually being good has nothing to do with any of that.

Smith (and especially McFarlane) would have to get on very high ladders to kiss his ass.

I just think it's more about pride than he admits. If he's removing his name because of some bad blood with DC, ok, but I've never heard that mentioned. If he removes his name because he's read the script, visited the set, saw the movie, whatever, and genuinely didn't like how it was turning out, ok. But it seems to me, and maybe I'm only getting the highlights or something, that everytime one of these films comes out, he climbs on top of the soapbox that he's strapped to the saddle of his high horse, eager to declare that his characters and his stories are so deep, nuanced and perfect, that they couldn't possibly be captured on film - like film is suddenly a medium incapable of layers? Alan Moore is a great writer, but he is not god and his words are not gospel. There are many people out there just as intelligent, tallented and capable as him, and many of them work in the movie business. An film version of an Alan Moore story could be produced that contains just as much nuance, intelligence and richness as the book if the right people get the job. And hey, they could probably even do that job better if he had more advice to give other than "no way could anyone else possibly do me justice". I'm sorry, but to me it doesn't come across as integrity or sticking to his guns or anything like that. It comes off as pretentiousness and ego. I think it would take a lot more courage if he came around to the challenges and possibilities of transferring his vision to a new medium like, say, Frank Miller has learned to do. Or to simply acknowledge the fact that it's at all possible to tell the same story just as well in a different way. Hell, I'd be impressed if he was just, for once, willing to stand up and give just the slightest bit of credit to the hundreds of people who made V, and made it well, because they were so passionate about his story to begin with. Seriously, is it really that he doesn't want his name in the credits, or is it just that he wants his name to be the only one there.

i just dont see it as relevent, no matter how many hundreds of people gave their all to a piece, the creator didnt want it in this format, that's all there is to it - he's entitled to that much, because there's no story to tell without him.

I dont think its so much him on the highest soapbox as the fact taht, like Ennis, Ellis & others he doesnt do interviews or cons very often, and people make a big deal when he does. Just like at cons, people always ask Kevin Smith questions about conflicts he's had, its what people wanna know about.

And you're comparing apples & oranges here. Miller's Sin City could be done, and was. League, i think, couldve been, mebbe Hellblazer, but they got fucked. From Hell, Watchmen, and this one, i agree that it woudlnt be the same. I applaud the effort the Wachowskis did, and think they made a great film that's, again, been more faitful than any other Moore work ive seen. But just as theyve the right to do it without his permission, per the work-for-contract you sign with DC, he's got a write to object, however loudly, and espeically - again - when his name is willfully used without his consent.

Fans moaned & bitched when he pulled the plug on the 10 year Watchmen anniversay, and i recall being upset too. When i realized he had a book censored/dripped entirely due to it being a scientology story - a while after DC published The Big Book of Conspiracies, which ran a much more controversial one - i agreed with his decision to leave.

This is just where were gonna disagree, cause there's egos out there like McFarlane that cant back it up. Yes, Moore's eccentirc and picky and pretentious about his works, but you know what? Theyre his works, and theyre better than much of what ive read. Could Watchmen be done justice? i dont think so, personally ,youd have to drop analogies like the pirate ship entirely, and it'd suffer for it. While i look forward to someone proving me wrong, he's got every right to bitch from every corner he likes, cause again, without his works, there's nothing to film.

I'm making an issue of this because first ive got pacnh - a creator himself - hypocritcally calling Moore a punk and a baby for simply objecting to this medium, then baytor compares the man to McFarlane. If you feel he's pretentious, that's fine too, i wont dispute that, but again, to me, taking the money & bitching is someting to get on him about (if one has no understanding of the massive financial differences between holywood & comics), but he's not even doing that. I undersatand that he agreed that stuff like this could be done when he signed the dotted line over 20 years ago, but he's still very much within his right here.

Here, here!

Art Spiegelman says he never wants to see a movie of "Maus". J.P. Donleavy says he never wants to see a movie of "A Fairy Tale of New York". Alan Moore says he never wants to see a movie of any of his works. All three claim that they work better in the medium that they were originally presented, and yes they do. We're not going to see "Maus" or "A Fairy Tale of New York" coming soon. Moore's works however....

The only difference is that Spiegelman and Donleavy own their works. Mr. Moore not so much.

Does he have a right to be pissed off?

Well, yes and no. Yes, because he is a man who takes what he does very (and almost some times too) seriously and no because it's not as if he didn't sign any contracts giving the property rights to the work published to DC. He signed off he got paid - and paid well. He's no Siegel and Shuster. Those guys were right to be pissed.

Was Moore always adverse to seeing (or, not) his movies on the big screen. No. If you can remember back a few years Moore was content with the filming of his works.

"As long as I could distance myself by not seeing them," he said, he could profit from the films while leaving the original comics untouched, "assured no one would confuse the two. This was probably naïve on my part."

Trouble arose when producer Martin Poll and screenwriter Larry Cohen filed a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox, alleging that the film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen plagiarized their script entitled Cast of Characters. Although the two scripts bear many similarities, most of them are elements that were added for the film and do not originate in Moore's comics. According to Moore, "they seemed to believe that the head of 20th Century Fox called me up and persuaded me to steal this screenplay, turning it into a comic book which they could then adapt back into a movie, to camouflage petty larceny." Moore testified in court hearings, a process so painful that he surmised he would have been better treated had he "molested and murdered a busload of retarded children after giving them heroin." Fox's settlement of the case insulted Moore, who interpreted it as an admission of guilt.

Moore's reaction was to divorce himself from the film world: he would refuse to allow film adaptations of anything to which he owned full copyright. In cases where others owned the rights, he would withdraw his name from the credits and refuse to accept payment, instead requesting that the money go to his collaborators (i.e. the artists). This was the arrangement used for the film Constantine.

The last straw came when producer Joel Silver misquoted Moore at a press conference for the upcoming V for Vendetta, produced by Warner Brothers (which also owns DC Comics). Silver stated that producer Larry Wachowski had talked with Moore, and that "he [Moore] was very excited about what Larry had to say."Moore, who claims that he told Wachowski "I didn't want anything to do with films... I wasn't interested in Hollywood," demanded that DC and Warner Brothers issue a retraction and apology for Silver's "blatant lies." No retraction or apology appeared, and in response Moore announced his departure from Wildstorm/DC/Warner Bros. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Dark Dossier, a hardcover graphic novel, will be his last work for the publisher. Future installments of LoEG will be published by Top Shelf Productions and Knockabout Comics. Moore has also stated that he wishes his name to be "Alan Smitheed" from comic work that he does not own.*

With "V for Vendetta" being as successful as it has been the doors have definitly opened wider for the possibility of a "Watchmen" film. And so long as it stays in print the rights will belong to DC (if not it will return to Moore and colaborater Dave Gibbons). Where else could they go from there? Maybe Mr. McFarlane (or whoever owns the property now) could get a "MiracleMan" movie in the works! I call Paul Walker as Michael Moran!

Moore's been through a lot. Let him remove his name and be cunty about it.

*From Wikipedia's Alan Moore entry.

I enjoyed the movie, but I think it's misguided in many ways ( disclaimer, I've only read the first chapter or so of the comic, so I can't really comment on the movies faithfulness).

For one, where were the British people who supported the government? It might surprise you to know, but people over here can be a bit racist, and would probably side with the High Chancellor, there's a pie chart that's shown for the briefest of seconds that showed that he was elected by a majority of around 90%(showing that he was a member of the Conservative Party and not some vague fictitious right wingers, it also coloured their slice of the pie in imposing black and not their signature blue, presumably so the intended audience wouldn't think they were the Democrats ). There must of been some and I doubt they wouldn't have been as lenient to the marchers as the military were, there would have been a serious fight on the streets.

And how the fuck did he get those masks out, were living in a totalitarian regime that listens in to your private conversations, but doesn't screen your mail?

This movie keeps getting raves

V for Vendetta isn't the type of film that you watch again and again, nor is it a film for everyone, it's the type of polarizing experience that most people will either love or hate, I fall on the love side.

Final Grade A-

Posted by Michelle Alexandria - Eclipse magazine

Remember, Remember the 5th of November, so starts one of the most provocative movies in several years. V For Vendetta is a good old fashioned Hollywood message movie that doesn't pull any punches. Yes you can say that almost every film nominated for Oscars this year were message movies, but there is something different about how V's message about terrorism, war, fascism is delivered.

vendetta10.jpg

Maybe it's the fact that it's not subtle about it's hatred of the establishment, or the fact that the comic book industry's mad genius Alan Moore originally wrote the film in the mid 80s as a strong critique of Margaret Thatcher's regime, and how much many of it's themes hold up today. The story has been radically changed by the equally dark and brooding Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski who have been trying to get this film made for over 12 years.

This dark material is almost too perfectly suited to the duo's warped view of the world. It's surprising; ok not really, that Moore loathes this adaptation. This is where I have to say that I haven't read Moore's V for Vendetta, but I plan on picking up the graphic novel this weekend and reading it on my cross country flight next week.

Natalie Portman is mesmerizing as Evey a regular every day member of society who works as a mailroom clerk for the country's only television station, who one night after curfew gets attacked by the local government security force (think the SS) called "Fingers."

natalie_portman9.jpg

She gets saved by a mysterious masked vigilante, code named "V" (played by Hugo Weaving), once this happens she's caught between V's plot for revenge against the government who did him wrong and an oppressive government who will do anything to prevent "V" from carrying out his ultimate act of terrorism.

James McTeigue makes his directorial debut in this, his experience serving as a first unit director on huge special effects laden films like the Matrix and Star Wars franchises serve him well here, his direction is sure handed, he never loses sight of the film's central message, and Every's transition for every day worker to terrorist is fabulous.

It doesn't feel forced at all, although there is a silly and unnecessary twist in the third act that almost destroys the film, because it forces Every into a certain course of action, but the reasoning behind it and her response to what happened to her made no sense at all, but Portman's strong performance makes you stay with the film.

I'm glad so many people here liked it. I haven't seen it yet, and I really want to, but I heard it was "M for Mediocre." That wouldn't have stopped me from seeing it of course, but it's nice to know that's not the majority opinion.

I don't think it could be called mediocre, I'm not saying it's a great movie, or even a bad one, but it's so different from anything out there. It's like the Wicker Man, I'm sure lots of people will dislike it, but no one could leave the cinema thinking they just saw an ordinary movie.

It's like the Wicker Man, I'm sure lots of people will dislike it, but no one could leave the cinema thinking they just saw an ordinary movie.

How big is the Wicker Man over there? You don't hear about it a great deal here (at least I don't), but I've heard it mentioned elsewhere.

"Under this mask is an ideal, and ideals are bulletproof."

Well beside the Houses of Parliment were a couple of hundred people. Were they flying masonry proof?

The Wicker Man is still a bit of a cult favourite over here, it's gets on a few critics lists but I doubt if many people have seen it. It realy doesn't have much in common with V, aside from the fact that they both have shocking endings that most people know are coming,(if by some chance of fate you don't know what that ending is, I plead to you don't look it up, just find the movie and watch it) oh yeah, and masks.

Damn them 2track, damn them all too hell.

Neil? Nick? What the fuck you doing?

The Wicker Man is still a bit of a cult favourite over here, it's gets on a few critics lists but I doubt if many people have seen it. It realy doesn't have much in common with V, aside from the fact that they both have shocking endings that most people know are coming,(if by some chance of fate you don't know what that ending is, I plead to you don't look it up, just find the movie and watch it) oh yeah, and masks.

Damn them 2track, damn them all too hell.

Neil? Nick? What the fuck you doing?

Oh I've watched it.

As for this remake, I've heard rumors about that online a couple of years ago. Wasn't really wanting to believe it, though.

The Wicker Man is fucking sweet. This however....

9255_poster.jpg

has shit-cock written all over it.

Agreed.

I mean...

Neil LaBute ?

here's his resume...

The Wicker Man (2006) (post-production)

The Shape of Things (2003)

Possession (2002/I)

Bash: Latter-Day Plays (2001) (TV)

Nurse Betty (2000)

... aka Nurse Betty - Gefährliche Träume (Germany)

Tumble (2000)

Whoopie Fuck.

As far as V goes... I loved everything about this movie, it was the balls. Natalie Portman is excellent having been not directed by Lucas this time, who can't get great actors to do shit on screen, and was captivating.

I also love the idea that V's persona stayed with the Guy mask and it was never removed during the film. Kudos right there.

:poison:

uhh it seems not to many of you have read the actual book by alan moore...if i were him i wouldve wanted my name removed too. in fact i am a creator of sorts and i would want my movies to resemble the books, if not don't make a bloody movie about it! V for Vendetta felt empty and shallow so many stuoid catch phrases, shit that really didnt have any real importance. in the book england is really fucked up not only politicaly but socially, economically and whatever other way, the movie didnt represent that, it felt like the only thing wrong with it was the lack of freedom of speech, there was much more to that. i know what your thinking that those idiot brothers tried to make appealing to everyone or that it was to much story for a movie...bullshit...my friend and i were falling asleep! X-men sucked balls but you all drooled when it came out, i hated that movie too, spiderman was great because it condensed as much history as it could, and was true to the series, i know V was not that off from the book, but it was like cut up into pieces and then put back together " a la " hollywood!

Nah, I disagree. For the most part the Read is always better (more in depth) and so forth. The movie was excellence within the 2hour 15 min.span it was allotted to tell this story effectively as well as remaining entertaining. I personally loved it.

On a side note ... According to Forbes

wachowski-book.jpg

Net Worth = 478 Million Dollars.

I think they are prolly doing something right Bat. :poison:

Archived