Hondo's Bar

V for Vendetta

OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.

I put off reading V for Vendetta because I didn't want to be dissapointed by the movie. I wanted to enjoy it, and then read it and see the flaws.

But fuck. That was such a badass movie! How true was it to the graphic novel??

I think I'm in looooooooooooove.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait, how many issues were there? i just read the trade. Its not as big as Watchmen, which was 12 issues, so its safe to say you read most of it. Recently, tho? And you thought it was faitfhul? Ima have to check this out this week.

No, not recently.

i got a torrent about 3-4 months ago.

From what I remember, after hazy recollection. I can say it's pretty fucking faithfull.

All-out action fans will get a nice show, but I can see them getting bored through the political side of things.

To be honest, the film had me questioning why I was in the cinema for the first 5 minutes.

( Slight spoiler )

The second he destroys that old bailey though, you know you're in for a treat.

B000ELJ8DK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V57026969_.jpg

alright, that was good. Faithful enough to the ideas of the book, though it obviously took the post-cold war feel and made it a post-9-11 one, questioning the nature of terrorism and such. Some things i wouldve liked to have seen but knew woudlnt make it in ("the vicious cabaret") werent, but it still worked, prolly the best of the Alan Moore translations ive seen, but then agian the competiton's not very strong, to be fair (i havent seen League yet, but im not hopeful). In & of itself, a fun movie about politics and blowing shit up, connections coming togehter was fun too.

Notice how they left the artists' name on it, but not Moore? heh.

Don't.

Ever.

As for Moore's name not being on it, he asked (once again) that his name be removed completely from the film. Frankly, I think he's just being pissy.

Oh come on. My favorite part was how

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nonstop fun laughter!  After 5,000 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

yeah, i noticed that. they played up the love shit too much here, otherwise good, upon reflection.

If moore comes off pissy & dickish, i think its alright. DC fucked him over a few times, and he's a middle-aged guy who calls himself a shankecharmer, its past eccentircity. When you write that good, i overlook most other shit.

NBA Superstar Shaquille O'Neal is Kazaam, a larger-than-life genie with a magic touch for nonstop fun laughter!  After 5,000 long years of captivity, Kazaam is set free to grant three wishes to a new master.  From then on, he's catapulted to one wild adventure after another... from becoming the latest rap sensation or untangling an outrageous mob scheme! As the giant genie with an attitude, Shaq scores big laughs in this hilarious comedy hit that's sure to be a slam-dunk winner with everyone!

mebbe, but i think jont put up a link to an interview of his recently, and he nailed it: his books are written so they dont work as films. there's layers and depth, there's contemporary shit (like watchmen, its post-cold war mentality, i dont think itll transition to post 9-11 as well as this movie did). League was enough fun to work, just omitting all the literary references, but seriously, this one, From Hell, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, most of his major works simply are written in a manner which doesnt transition to non-written form very well, unlike, say, Millar or Ellis.

Taken from a friend of a friend on the LJz0rz (http://community.livejournal.com/m15m/13483.html)

V FOR VENDETTA IN FIFTEEN MINUTES (BEHIND THE SPOILER)

© 2006 Cleolinda Jones. All rights reserved, do not repost. cleolinda.livejournal.com

(Now I know it says not to repost, but I'm placing it behind the spoiler to save space(as it is quite lengthy) AND spoilage.)

Saw this yeasterday, glad I did. Easy to see why it was controvestial. One guy screamed out in the middle of it 'V for Very bad' and one couple sitting next to me got up and left. It certainly wasn't an easy movie to watch, but it shook you. Natalie Portman's performance was acceptable for the first half to two thirds of the movie, and stellar at the end, mostly I suppose because her character was getting more interesting. I'm surprised I haven't heard more hoopla fromt eh FOX Pundit Army about this one.

thats unusual, ive seen people leave movies but never try to review them onna way out. The violene here isnt as bad as others, so im guessin its just the political context?

Its a shame the red/blue thing gets to the point where people cant even watch a work of fiction these days.

MetalHeart said:

Finally caught V last night. Pretty fucking good alright. Shame Mr. Moore didn't peep it out (hint: it's better than From Hell/League/Constantine).

One note of fanboy bitchiness (or not)

Not that it made a HUGE difference, the movie was top class I just always thought that was cool in the comic and woulda been nice to include. My lady love (who scored V a 9/10) thought it was kinda cool when I told her that but chances of getting her to read the comic have been raised between slim and none and slim and a bit more but still basically none.

Archived