Hondo's Bar

Most classic "Classic Rock" Album

Reverend Jax

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sgt Peppers is my 2nd fave Beatles album behind Revolver. Not hugely keen on the White Album although Ruber Soul and Abbey Road are both very good. I think you have made the right choice for the most "classic" of the Beatle's albums though. Definitley Sgt Peppers, if only for the simple fact that the cover is the coolest, AND it incorporates one of the biggest mysteries that Beatles fans have not yet solved, nor ever will, Who the hell is Billy Sheers?

Do you know the story behind the Abbey Road cover (the real story, not the conspiracy theory story)? I was in London for spring break and I went on a Beatles walking tour that ended at abbey road, and the guide told us the story. One of their regular engineers was a chain smoker and he smoked Everest cigarettes and somehow they decided to call the recording sessions the Everest sessions. Then as the recording was wrapping up, the issue of teh album came up and someone suggessted they go to the summit of Mount Everest for the photo. John immediately said "screw that, why don't we change the name of the album to Abbey Road and take it just outside instead." I love Beatles Lore.

Billy Sheers is Ringo.  Mccartney's original intention was to make it more of a concept album with each member of teh band having an alter ego.  It didn't quite pan out, but they kept a bit of it in there anyways.  Abbey Road is hands down my fav beatles album, then comes Sgt. pepper, revolver, white album.  It's nearly impossible for me to pick from these, that Cream cd is incredible too.  Good picks I'd say.  Umm, I'll pick the beatles because it just strikes me as the most "classic."  I don't really like it better than the other ones, they're all near tied for me.  Once you get ot this level of greatness it's really hard to pick favorites.

I had to throw Pet Sounds in there because it is such a phenonial album. It is one of my all time favorite album even though I'm not a Beach Boys fan. For beatles fans, the fab four have said that Sgt Pepper was a direct result of Pet Sounds. When they heard it, they were blown away and argee they had to push themselves farther creativily speaking than ever before in order to one up the beach boys. they later found out the beach boys made pet sounds for exactly the same reason in regards to the beatles' own rubber soul.

IC, which Skynyrd album? "Pronounced..."?

god this was hard. pet sounds is an incredible album, and i'm from California, i mean what californian DOESN'T like the beach boys?

then again i also dig dark side of the moon, cream, jimi hendrix, and sgt. peppers.

but my vote went hands down to Led Zeppelin.

and as for my favorite beatles album, i'd have to say Rubber Soul, i dig Sgt. Pepper's as well for the creativity they put into that album.. but Rubber Soul is a culmination of soo many good songs, and it fits together so well, i love that album.. but almost everything the Beatles put out was stellar..

Heartless, I agree with you on the Rubber Soul thing, If Rubber Soul has one thing about it which stand above the other amazing Beatles albums, it's the damn good consistancy of the songs, though, like I said before, Revolver and Abbey Road have the consistency to give Rubber Soul a run for its money.

It's not that is such a horrible song, it's that you get into the flow of the album listening to it and all of a sudden it's like, puh...I don't wanna listen to this and you have to forward track. Not on Rubber Soul, not on Abbey Road (though I could see why some might not like Maxwell's Silver Hammer, even though I love it, bang bang...). I think Zep IV, Who's Next and Pet Sounds also have that pure goodness from start to finish feel.

I know what you mean, but I've heard people say Maxwell's Silver Hammer is the only thing that keeps the album from perfect. ...And in her eyes you see nothing, no sign of love behind the tears, cried for no one, a love that should have lasted years... so sad, so true, so makes me cry everytime i hear it.

• 4 years later...

A lotta great albums there, but a bit different from what i woulda' picked.

Especially Zeppelin i'm very surprised you chose the fourth album, I'd have I, II, Houses and Graffiti before IV.

Whenever I think of classic rock i think of riffs and solos. and if you'd had Led Zeppelin up there i woulda gone for that, but of the albums you have I think Are You Experienced is the most classic rock, one of the greatest albums of all time, no doubt.

A lotta great albums there, but a bit different from what i woulda' picked.

Especially Zeppelin i'm very surprised you chose the fourth album, I'd have I, II, Houses and Graffiti before IV.

You have a right to pick your favorite zep album, but IV is the most "classic" one. All 8 songs on that album are radio staples. You could say the same thing about LZII, but IV is still more "classic."