Hondo's Bar

Hondo's & You

The NZA

man, we really gotta do one of these for hondo's someday.

this is one of those topics that've come up after the dork party/poker game'sve died down, and were trying to avoid getting jax all riled up politically: what's the board mean to you?

I know for a lot of us, its a way to pass time at work. Ive been trying, since i recreated the place in '03, to make it a community, and things like the Art Gallery, our Jukebox, and espeically our forum meet-ups have really helped that.

Truth is, there's forums on almost every site these days, and its not like weve got any celebrities or a theme...the "bar" thing only comes into play in that i envision a mature setting, that gets rowdy once in a while but the regulars are great.

Personally, ive been really happy to see the place outgrow me, in that the foundations' there and im active like hell when im around, but it doenst need my presence, and my mods & drunken deputies have done a lot towards that too.

as a small fanboy note that uh, newt and bishop'll catch: this place reminds me of the castle & 108 stars of the suikoden series. its odd and otaku-ish but its true.

I admittedly keep a .txt file as a list of links & ideas i come across all over these internets and basically treat this place as an amalgam of those things, like a beautiful tapestry of bootlegging, if you will.

So yeah, sites like wikipedia say were not really major in that we havent yet created international incidents or gained notoriety outside of our regulars, the google, and a small armada of spammers, but with our 5th birthday fast approaching (its in dec, i think i just gotta look it up), weve come a long way.

So, what's it mean to you?

THat flash presented as national public announcement was class. IT would be awesomme to have one specifically for hondos...

What does hondos mean to me?

IT means three things, friends, laughter, and various sources of information. SPending time at work and at home with some of the most creative and original people I've ever come accross, i'd say life is swell. THanks to characters like Jax, Skeet, 2T, Panch, IC, LL, MH, Joint, Ly, and many many more, laughter is endless jere on Hondos. Sometimes I'm informed of different subjects through hondos, therefore to me, htis place is uniquely innovative thanks to the variety of topics (ranging from the Politics forum to even Crap Shack).

I left a lot of friends and family behind in Miami when I came back to Guyana in 2001. Hondo's was my only link to most of them and in many cases still is. Hell, I speak more to my sistr through Hondo's PMs than through emails.

Those first couple years here in Guyana were tough, cuz I had just been kicked out of school and was fighting the last of my Depression. (yeah, capital 'D') It was like I had been cut off from my future AND my past. Almost none of my highschool pals were still living here in Guyana. They were all in NY and DC and London.

Hondo's helped me feel like I was still part of that wonderful weird world of crazy late night discussions and mad ninja excursions and heated, quickfire debate that I enjoyed so much in Miami.

I panicked like hell in 03 when Yahven took the board down. I wrote him a long rambling letter begging him not to cut me off from my friends. I don't know if I ever truly thanked Nick for taking it over. So, Thanks, Nick.

Nowadays, this isn't as much the connection to my past that it used to be. No more Yahven, Kee, Benny, SpiffyTee, Mulan, HeartlessBitch or Piggylover for one thing. But still, the conversation has remained the same fun, involving and unique exchange it always was. The newer people (and I know the Texans and Irish and Aussies are probably shocked to think of themselves as newbies, but you are in my mind) the newer people have proven themselves worthy gods. (and yeah this is still Drunken Deities to me in many ways. I can't ever let that go)

Guyana doesn't have people with the kinds of outlooks I can find on Hondo's. Hondo's is the one place left for me where I feel like there are no barriers on the conversation, (either through lack of knowledge on the part of those I'm speaking to, or lack of interest.)

5 years is a long time, but I'm sure that *50* years from now, Me, IC, Jax and whatever new gods join us will be standing around an INvision boards v99.5 virtual holographic bar toasting each other's wankerism.

(PS, a note to the 2track of 2066: Please do NOT use the virtual hatrack for your virtual hat)

shit, that was kinda touching.

and i know what you mean: i was all about DD when i was in texas, for pretty much the same reasons - the late night debates/bullshitting, in-jokes, and the ninja missions. There was a synergy there in college with us all on the same floor that was hard to substitute after i left, and i got a bit depressed when id go around bars and all kinda social places and realize that the average person doesnt really wanna talk about those things or go on missions. it was kinda heartbreaking, and kidna ironic given that MH, Ly & crew werent even far away, now that i think about it.

incidentally:

Yahven - gone but not far, Corporate Cuddles (his cousin) was just around. I left him a message just yesterday, gonna try to get him back around someitme soon.

Kee - In the navy, stops off here every now and again, tho.

Benny - I just cant find him. Im gonna try his email again, but i blame Warcraft and jax's sexy nuns.

SpiffyTee - Wasnt overly active round here most times, but yeah, this one's my fault.

Mulan, HeartlessBitch - ...

Piggylover - The one that got away. Even Panch coudlnt win him back over - just talked to him yesterday, the man's still out of internets. He's pissy cause the next town over is the home of the google, and apparently they give everyone there free internet (!).

so yeah, i guess in that context, the texans, irish, preacher's etc crowds are the new x-men.

5 years is a long time, but I'm sure that *50* years from now, Me, IC, Jax and whatever new gods join us will be standing around an INvision boards v99.5 virtual holographic bar toasting each other's wankerism.

Fuck, but youre optimistic. I can barely keep this place open 6 months without incident, let alone me surviving to that age...ill prolly have to pass the torch way before then, but ive thought about the virtual thing, and shit, forums're going to be amazing when you can finally plug in and hang out like that.

ps watchoutnow, irishninja's coming back

I joined DD thinking omg why am I listening to Mulan and her crazy boyfriend, that was five years ago. Now I can honestly say that I feel as though Hondos/DD is like a family to me. I too much like Jumbie was going through a depression because I was away in Gainesville studying and what helped me get by was Hondos. The day Yahve took it down I was devistated. I didn't know what to do with myself. My roommates thought I was crazy because I was sad that whole day that I didn't post on DD. When I found out what had happened and that Nick had taken over it made me so happy that I didn't know what to do.

Even though I know that I am one of the OG's on here I feel as though even the newbs are like family. (And no that does not include DA8) Hondos is much more than just a forum to me. It kept me going.

Despite what you seem to think, the realities of life must be dealt with.

I know all about that bottle of 'Just for Men' that you keep in your sock drawer next to your condoms, KY, and Cabbage Patch Dolls.

what you should do is avoid the dilemma of whether to dye or not, the way I do: by shaving them off completely.

_

eh, i guess in the grand scheme of things in still a noob, but still at that, hondos means a lot to me, ive had some great times here, made some amazing friends out of it (wayne, jan, lauren.. ya'll fuckin rock)... lookin back now its hard to imagine things without this place really, ive found a place that i like, and am generally accepted (by most people)

and no matter what goes on here, i know that its more than just a place i post at while i work..

i guess i can't really add on anything that's been said before me, but this place is a home to me... and im fuckin thankful ive foundsomewhere like this... i can only thank shane (crimson) for getting me into this, even though he hardly posts these days...

ps, no matter how much i may bitch at you jax n 2t... i aint got a problem with ya whatsoever... its online... jus' hopin i can end the bs

Despite what you seem to think, the realities of life must be dealt with.

I know all about that bottle of 'Just for Men' that you keep in your sock drawer next to the condoms, the KY, and Cabbage Patch Dolls.

what you should do is avoid the choice of whether to dye or not, the way I do: by shaving them off completely.

Sad day and age when you need condoms to fuck a Cabbage Patch Doll. They grow up too fast.

I love the fact that no matter where jont posts, he manages to lower the tone :tank:

Seriously though, i like the fact that i could just not bother posting here, but come back ages after and still enjoy reading and posting.

I have met some sound people through here, namely DoJ, Crimson, and Def... all are stand up great hondonians.

Obviously i know Jont and Dave (Kos) from back in the day, i miss those guys,and our going out for a few cans at random...

Long may it continue i say

I still have no idea how i found this place but am i glad i did. I never thought an online forum could reach heights like this eg people meetin up, actual real life friendships being made etc

Im just wonderin how much longer this place will be around. At its current momentum im guessing a long time. Theres life in this old gal still!

OG?

"Old and Grey"? ...:prod:

In case that was a genuine question, OG stands for Original Gangsta.

DoJ: Yeah, I rip on ya and shit, but it's not like if you were in Miami I wouldn't want ta meet you and get a drink with you. Besides, people often times like me better in person. Hondo's History trivia: did you know Pancho hated me before he met me in person, then after the first meeting I became is FHF. Of course, people often hate me in person, like WhoDey, who could stand me the first time he met me playing Poker. It's all silly shit anyway. We're all in the family here on Hondos.

Shit, I got so many unlikeable cousins... family sure as hell don't mean you gotta like the bastards. My cousins and I still go to great lengths to help eac other out.

Panch hated you, Jax?

Heh.

I remember summer 2005 when I was in Miami, Nick had the bright idea of having you pick me up so we could all go Karaoke.

I was like, "Dude, I can't stand that guy. You can't just expect me to spend time alone in a car with him."

So I made Nick come get me all the way from Ft Lauderdale.

Karaoke was fun and me, you and George/ Bishopcruz ended up bashing George Lucas til 4 in the morning.

All, I can say is, you're still a jackass and a wanker, but you can pick me up anyime-

Wait! That came out a lot gayer than I meant it to. Forget what I said, I meant you can give me a ride anytime.

Oh shit! did it again....

What can I say? I been a fan of this place back when it was still known as Drunken Deities. Since arc introduced me to this forum, with the exception of a small several-month hiatus, I been pretty much a regular of this place, and I will continue to be. I love you guys! :prod:

Archived