Hondo's Bar

Preacher

Newtype

NZA, I started writing this whole long breakdown of The Killing Joke then severely truncated b/c I felt like, "Who wants to read all of that?" But after reading all of that ^ spoiler and finding it interesting, you've inspired me to revisit my thoughts on TKJ and post them. So, blame Nizzler for that forthcoming hot mess, Hondo's.

As for the show, I like Jesse a lot more at this point in the season than I thought I would considering where we started. I think the tone of the series is pretty on point and aligned with the comic. Or at least my recollection of the comic, which, unlike Nza and ASC and likely a few others here, I've only read through in it's entirety twice. The only thing tonally I could gripe about witht his season is, like NZA points out, I'm not feeling as connected with Jesse as much as I should be. I'm there with Tulip & Cass and even the "gov't fellas." However, Jesse has a bit further to go. These last two episodes have helped him though.

And I'm in agreement about this stuff w/ Tulip's vendetta against Carlos falling flat. Her seeking vengeance on Carlos with Jesse was what she claimed to be her whole motive or drive for this entire season, but we really know is that she wanted to know he still loved her and would do anything for/with her. So the death of Carlos will likely be hollow for both her and the audience. Maybe it'll even happen off screen and we'll just see her returning to town in time for Jesse's sermon on Sunday?

yeah, exactly

my assumption is that jesse disappears after that failed heist (due to being recollected by Jody & co) and she assumes he was locked up or something? all she seems to know is he's back on his good-boy church shit and she hates it, and he'd not tell her about his horrible family to protect her/etc...but if that's the case, wouldn't her being around him this season trouble him too? does the family keep close tabs on him, or just assume he's broken enough to stay in line at this point? i guess we'll know soon

also, i'm down for a thorough breakdown in the killing joke thread!

Last ep had a great Breaking Bad reference that was fun.

Feeling kinda iffy on how they went about hiring the Saint. I liked the Hell depiction, but not that he was in hell, and waant already the Saint... Guess he has a motive though?

Nick, good point about Jesse's family...

As for the question if anyone from his grandma's camp is watching over Jesse, I wonder if Mayor Killin' Emily will tie into that somehow in the future?

Last ep had a great Breaking Bad reference that was fun.

Yaass! I noticed that, too! I believe the show shoots in NM, so I'm wondering if there will be other BB homages or Easter Eggs like that in future episodes. Oh man, if they road trip in the show to NM and we see a Saul park bench or if Cass bought some blue meth--oh damn. Sorry, fanboygasming.

Yeah, The whole thing felt a little anti-climactic though. Especially considering...

They out GoT'd GoT by killing all but three major characters, which comic fans know are really the only major characters in this series. I guess Eugene is still up in the air if he's alive/dead/manifestation of Jesse's guilty conscience.

yeah, long way around the barn but i guess we got there

they totally did take out everyone with a quickness, which again we saw coming/had to happen but it made much of the season really feel like it was needlessly dragging its balls about...didn't even get that first Saint encounter. I guess Jesse's on track to being more like his book persona, but again, ditching Eugene still stands out in my head.

down for the ride, but once again, i'm hoping season 2 is a lot better with the source material, or it's hard for me to imagine a lotta non-book fans staying on board...is that just me? like, i don't know that i'dve stayed with this show if it wasn't a graphic novel i love so dear, honestly

^Yeah, I'd saying pacing is a key area for improvement in this series. I found myself letting a couple weeks go by between watching episodes in the middle of the series there. Also, and I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but that dynamic between Jesse, Tulip, & Cass needs a bit of fine tuning.

I mean, you see all three of them in the car at the end there and it's like, "Yaass!" That looked perfect. However, when they're in the restaurant together having the conversation a few seconds prior, there wasn't that--I don't know. Sizzle? Chemistry? Connectivity? I like all three actors. I think Tulip and Cass had the right vibe in their scenes this season. Maybe it's Jess & Tulip in the show. Now that they're "back together" maybe that missing something will all come together in S2.

And I randomly reread the last issue of the comic today. Damn. What a great ending to a story.

Comic spoilers. Obviously.

Considering how they handled "God" showing up at Jesse's church, I feel more confident we'll get that final scene between SoK and God from the comic. And not doing Cass' eyes like in the comic, I wonder how they'll get that same perfect moment for Cass' ending in the TV show? Maybe have him get a suntan?

• 7 months later...

still iffy after how this last season went/tied up, but here goes:

Deadline: ‘Preacher’ Season 2 Sets Summer Air Date; New Photos Dropped

Noah Taylor, Pip Torrens, Julie Ann Emery, More Join Season 2 Cast

Noah Taylor (Game of Thrones, Deep Water) Pip Torrens (Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Crown) and Julie Ann Emery (Fargo, Better Call Saul) have signed on as series regulars, and Malcolm Barrett (War On Everyone, Dear White People), Ronald Guttman (Homeland, Mozart in the Jungle) and Justin Prentice (13 Reasons Why, Malibu Country) are set for recurring roles.

The series’ second season returns this summer and follows Jesse, his badass ex-girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga) and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun) as they embark on a road trip to find God, dealing with issues both worldly and other-worldly along the way.

Pip Torrens really looks good for Starr, i'll give them that

still iffy after how this last season went/tied up, but here goes:

Deadline: ‘Preacher’ Season 2 Sets Summer Air Date; New Photos Dropped

Noah Taylor, Pip Torrens, Julie Ann Emery, More Join Season 2 Cast

Pip Torrens really looks good for Starr, i'll give them that

Agreed on Torrens' look. Once I googled him I realized he played a character that looks completely different in S1 of The Crown on Netflix. He's a solid actor. Also, my favorite of the photos linked above has to be this one...

preacher-season-2-image-3-600x400.jpg

On second thought, this one is probably my favorite. It is titled "Awwwwwwkwaaard!"

preacher-season-2-image-6-600x400.jpg

• 3 months later...

So watched ep 1 of season 2 earlier.

Things I'm liking so far.

I love the writing and character interactions. The way they are setting up Cass's Tulip infatuation is great. The sing along car chase was a lot of fun, and it generally looks like the road trip stuff and Jesse's grandma foreshadowing are starting to skew closer to the books.

One thing I don't think they are handling right is The Saint.

Now, it's been a minute since I've read the books all the way through (And I'm trying to keep them separate), but I don't remember him being... sadistic. He is ruthless sure, but he tore a man's tongue out in the episode why? It just doesn't make any sense other than something gross to show.

Overall though I'm still liking it.

Edited by Axels

• 1 month later...

okay so last week's Herr Star ep was a highlight, but...I'm almost done with this week's and there hasn't been a single moment, let alone plot point, from the actual book.

we're very clearly not gonnd do Until The End of the World this season but hanging around new orleans waiting for...I don't know; the Grail to make a move, the saint to return too quickly or basically anything to happen to advance the plot is gonna tale its toll

I watched the first episode, and just haven't felt inclined to download anymore since. I'll probably wait until the end of the season and attempt a binge, but I just don't feel too pushed at the moment. I might just cut my losses and reread the comics again instead.

Edited by alive she cried

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I dropped out after the episode where Jesse and Tulip are about to get married. Her subplot was terrible and slowed shit to a crawl for me. Plus the Saint's portrayal keeps bugging me more and more... I ought to at least finish the season I think cause I still wanna meet Starr and see how he is.

again, as far as this season goes: Starr is an absolute highlight. they cast him great & with few exceptions, he's the character from the books and is a joy whenever he's on screen.

spoilers for the fuckery i'm having a hard time with as of the last 2 eps:

here, starr convinced jesse to be his fake messiah - jesse's literally going along with it. he couldn't quite find god (just missed him) so at the moment, he's seemingly abandoning the point of the entire story to go replace god on a PR tour.

- tulip just died: featherstone, not TC..we're getting bits of Until the End of The World but it's all flashbacks so far, though i imagine we're finally going there next ep. which is to say: again, they could kinda right things soon, but there's plenty of reason to think they'll dick it up again elsewhere.

jesse has not felt "right" for me since sending eugene to hell and doing next to nothing to correct that. the stuff with his soul & the saint, hell the entire physical extraction of souls business, they're changes that again seem to add nothing, while further warping the characters from not just who they are in the books, but who they seemed to be developing into. i'm reaching that point i did last season where i accept that it's a trainwreck and i really should look away at some point.

• 9 months later...

I dunno if I already posted here so apologies if I repeat myself anywhereanywhere.

Season 3 just started and they've just made it to Angelville. The show feels like Preacher even if the characters are a grand departure from source and the timeline's fared about as well as one of TC's chickens.

Mostly I'm in for the cinematography because the colours and the shots are gorgeous. And in terms of adaption I've found it easier to just pretend this is harmless exploration into  the characters than butchery of a beloved comic that probably hasn't aged well in the year twenty-eighteen.

• Upvote 1

yeah, if & when i get back to it, that's the mentality i'll have to have, too.  i thought season 2 dragged ass at parts & didn't care for some of the directions taken, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't curious about how they'll do angleville...that was the story that sucked me into the book all those years ago, so i think if they butcher that one, that might be it for me 

• Like 1

Oh dude,  there's butchery abound(the relationship between Jody and Jesse alone...!)  but here's my pitch: go in expecting to find the meat woman,  as opposed to eighty-odd kilos of perfectly edible meat and you'll have a better time. 

While they've bruised a few bits I like I think they've for the most part cleaned up what didn't work about the book and I may actually like the show better even if it does go on weird diversions that add up to very little sometimes.  I already like Jesse, Tulip, and Herr Start about a million times more.