Hondo's Bar

Mainstream vs Alternative

crimsonfire

Lately i feel thet the alternative or "non-mainstream" scene is becoming increasingly boring and the mainstream or "pop" scene is becoming more inventive.

There's an english band called Razorlight who are supposedly alternative/indie (dunno if theyre in the US yet) who are just terrible. Abhorrently terrible, recycled fucking garbage. I respect opinions but i just dont understand how people can like them. Theyre just a terrible, terrible band.

Meanwhile acts like Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado are putting out original and worthwhile music.

I dont get it. Is this cyclical? I mean the 70's and 80's mainstream shit was excellent (simple minds, lynard skynard, abba, the stranglers, sting and the police, fleetwood mac, duran duran, abc, the human league etc etc) while the "alternative" stuff was a bit cack.

PS i do understand that Metallica were considered extreme left of centre back then but they are a notable exception.

i dont know about cynical, but i think what could be happening with "mainstream" and "underground/indie" music/labels is that they seem to try SO HARD to be different and "hard core" and rebellious, etc that it just backfires.

I personally like SEMI-mainstream--and even some one hit wonders. I find that TOO much underground (specailly rock/metal/emo, etc) shit gets a little too choppy AND overly mainstream shit is just sales and good beats with horrendous lyrics example: NELLY Furtado's "Say it Right"--while I am in awe at the amazing beats produced by Timberland, I find Nelly's lyrics to be dissappointing and meaningless.

On the other hand I really enjoy "undergound" hip hop/lyricist because I feel more of that rawness that most commercial hip-hop lack. The Black Eyed Peas were amazing before Fergie came along, I love Eryka Badu, Common, Jurassic 5, etc...

does that make sense?

you started off well with you're hatred of razorlight, they are a piece of piss.

But

Meanwhile acts like Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado are putting out original and worthwhile music.
? I gotta' disagree there.

and here

I dont get it. Is this cyclical? I mean the 70's and 80's mainstream shit was excellent (simple minds, lynard skynard, abba, the stranglers, sting and the police, fleetwood mac, duran duran, abc, the human league etc etc)

abba, sting, (80's) fleetwood mac and duran duran are all rubbish imo.

while the "alternative" stuff was a bit cack.

as you mentioned Metallica, there's also Megadeth, Sepultura, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, The Smiths

With the advent of the Internet, is there such a thing as The Underground?

Countless indie bands have Myspace profiles... how can that possibly be underground? We're talking about a corporation owned by FOX.

Discuss.

They are out there. Trust me

With the advent of the Internet, is there such a thing as The Underground?

Countless indie bands have Myspace profiles... how can that possibly be underground? We're talking about a corporation owned by FOX.

Discuss.

I don't think that logic flys. It's not as if they're signed to Fox records. It's like saying the Sex Pistols mad their first gig posters on photocopiers, copiers owned by XEROX!

I've been in this mindset since about '97, when acts considered 'alternative' at the time like the Fusion-fucks(Korn, Orgy, etc) saw success & started compromising integrity & uniqueness for the big bucks. Sure I was a naive young'un, but I'd read interviews with Fred Durst waxing on about sell-out bands pissing him off & the havoc he's love to wreak given the chance with stars in my eyes. Then came Significant Other. I probably set myself up for that one but anyhoo, since then I've held a deep mistrust of any band not outright grabbing dollar coins off kids in the tuckshop lines. As far as I'm concerned all those cunts want is money & noone who says they're doing it for the music can be trusted. Aside from that, we have a national radio station Triple J which is 'entirely alternative'. Between this & seeing adamantly alternative people, who refuse to listen to mainstream music based on whatever regurgitated philosophy they've picked up from a more influential idiot, I realised the pricks in the red trunks are just as elitist as the mainstream poppets in the blue ones. I listen to absolutely anything & it really comes down to individual songs or artists that shit me. I don't know if that made sense & I don't even fucking care.

• 1 year later...

Archived