Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy XIII

The NZA

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously? you?

i cant be the only one who played FF VII enough to tire of a 30+ second summon animation that couldn't be skipped. to VIII's credit, i recall the ability to either do so or only see a short version after the first time. if you went for post-game stuff like more fighting in the pit or taking on the Weapons, trust me, i cant imagine not feeling the same way: its cool as shit at first until you realize how much of your life is spent watching this on repeat.

you should prolly ask CJ.

its been years, but..i grinded a bit, but didn't power-level. i recall using it a lot, and also recall dying a bit in the last dungeon to the ever-present mathdeath spells based on if your current level is divisible by 3 or something. i know sephiroth could be felled by a single omnislash in the 1-on-1 finale, but you didnt use it much against Jenova? maybe i did it wrong.

I will forever remember this thread as the one where Nick went into a fanboy rage over people complaining about a game with 20-hour tutorial and called it nitpicking, and then claimed that a 2-minute summon animation wasted hours of his life. I need to turn your posts into a Hitler video.

see, this is the problem about being with not reading.

if "pages of posting back & forth" = "fanboy rage", i need a new word for your diatribes with skeet on Wanted. you, like the good von newtype, had much to say about a game you didnt play.

i want that to sink in, it speaks to why ive replied here with you guys. now, when crazy people like bish, gun, mal etc chimed in having played the game, i actually had to respond to their complaints (many valid) and think on them. they made me realize (space cowboy too, who's stayed away from this nonsense) that the game does have deep flaws i allowed for the bits i liked. posts like yours, though, im going into autopilot mode; by this page, i was hoping that'd be obvious.

even here, you dont get it. if you think varying ongoing tutorials explaining how the game is played (gun & co were right to say the game was holding your hand with these; even assuming square's treating this at potentially your first JRPG, that's true) is the same as watching the same monotonous summon dozens and dozens of times....dude, at least jay had the decency to troll; you're phoning this in monotone over a weak signal.

seriously, can you have Seej read this to you, or better yet, respond? that'd be awesome!

this is the post i "flipped out' in. watch me as i lose my mind, in all caps! someone restrain me! i thought PA & yahtzee were weaksauce for "reviewing" something they quit on in the first few hours, but really, i was replying to newt's trolling.

let's try this another way: if you were happy with, let's say, a big-budget horror flick and i, a fellow horror fan, refused to watch said movie because, i dunno, it was made available on a microsoft format or the internet told me it wasnt good/overrated etc etc, you'd likely say "your loss" and genuinely be a bit sad i passed on it because of other people's opinions, presumably.

now, if i posted in your thread on it, and every other page made sure to jack another negative review, webcomic etc, would you consider this trolling? would you call me on this, and rationally say its cool if you dont like it, but you should really at least try it since you're a fan, etc? i'm trying to find common ground, help me out here. because id figure if i turned around and called you the fanboy for trying someting & forming your own opinion, and then someone else came in & said you were "flipping out" for calling me on that...you'd prolly feel like you were in bizarro land with two people who dont really dont seem to like horror much at all.

this is actually a pretty decent example. we can even imagine its a romero zombie flick that tried to do something different, with mixed success, but fans read the zombies could pump gas or something and made up their mind from there, that theyd rather watch the same zombie flick with active time battle and towns full of dull fleshy NPC's another ten years shit im fucking this up now

Oh you mean like everybody always does all the time? Let me think how many "amusing" puns I can make with your name or perhaps call you crazy, stupid, or even needlessly contrary because you find minor flaws in something I adore. Then any time you voice an opinion that does anything other than shower love, praise, and blowjobs onto anything I'll go on and on and on about what a hater you are.

If you're looking for sympathy because people are making fun of you for defending an unpopular stance then you've really picked the worst possible member of this forum to seek it from.

who's asking for sympathy? i was trying to show you what im saying here, and make a point..well, i tried. i'm honestly assuming you're skimming posts at this point.

i'm saying, if you troll, you get called on it. i gave JZA likewise shit @ scott pilgrim, cause the concept of preemptive hate is silly, specifically in a medium/genre you're a fan of. if anyone here doesnt get the difference between disagreeing with someone's opinion vs coming to a conclusion before trying something...i'm not sure where you should go, but im thinking the F.A.Q. or school or the like is a fine place to start.

that said, talking with bish & space (granted, mostly offline) have pointed out sections/plot points that felt clipped off, so im starting to get what gun was going for...still not sure theres a "whole other game", but there's definitely character bits and mini-chapters that got left on the floor.

also, the more i think on the endgame, the more i realize its a fucking mess that leaves a bad impression on the overall package. space's theory about ragnarok and its place in the game makes it a lot more fleshed out, shame that wasnt covered though.

Not change the topic but couldn't you do like a 16 summon knights of the round that took like 20 minutes to go through?

Yeah it was something like that.

When summoned, thirteen medieval knights appear and slash the enemy party. Its attack is called "Ultimate End" and strikes the enemy party multiple times. The knights themselves each attack with different weapons and spells (according to Ultimania Omega).

The first knight attacks with a long sword that looks like Cloud's Rune Blade,

The second knight attacks with a lance,

The third knight attacks with a rod and casts what looks like fire magic,

The fourth knight attacks with a mace,

The fifth knight attacks with a long sword,

The sixth knight attacks with a hammer,

The seventh knight attacks with a wand and casts what looks like blizzard magic,

The eighth knight attacks with a trident,

The ninth knight attacks with a staff and casts Comet on the target,

The tenth knight attacks with a naginata,

The eleventh knight attacks with a battle axe,

The twelfth knight attacks with a sword,

And the thirteenth knight attacks with Excalibur

Knights of the Round costs 250 MP to cast. Knights of the Round is a series of 13 individual attacks hitting all enemies with piercing damage each time. At its maximum, Knights of Round can do up to 129,987 damage to a single target. It takes one use of Knights of the Round to destroy most enemies. The only exceptions are the WEAPONs Emerald and Ruby and Safer∙Sephiroth.

+4 to reshearch!

no no, I know how the spell works, there was some way to do omni casting plus mimic and do some crazy ass thing you were did 8 or 16 summons of them, it was one of the ways to beat the weapons, took for fucking ever.

Fake edit*

yeah using w-summon and qudra magic and then mimic on the your party member you just set it up and then went to make a sandwich.....

no no, I know how the spell works, there was some way to do omni casting plus mimic and do some crazy ass thing you were did 8 or 16 summons of them, it was one of the ways to beat the weapons, took for fucking ever.

Fake edit*

yeah using w-summon and qudra magic and then mimic on the your party member you just set it up and then went to make a sandwich.....

You can use W-summon with it but not Quadra Magic. Not sure about mimic.

W-Summon + Hadies + Knights = win!

who's asking for sympathy? i was trying to show you what im saying here, and make a point..well, i tried. i'm honestly assuming you're skimming posts at this point.

i'm saying, if you troll, you get called on it. i gave JZA likewise shit @ scott pilgrim, cause the concept of preemptive hate is silly, specifically in a medium/genre you're a fan of. if anyone here doesnt get the difference between disagreeing with someone's opinion vs coming to a conclusion before trying something...i'm not sure where you should go, but im thinking the F.A.Q. or school or the like is a fine place to start.

that said, talking with bish & space (granted, mostly offline) have pointed out sections/plot points that felt clipped off, so im starting to get what gun was going for...still not sure theres a "whole other game", but there's definitely character bits and mini-chapters that got left on the floor.

also, the more i think on the endgame, the more i realize its a fucking mess that leaves a bad impression on the overall package. space's theory about ragnarok and its place in the game makes it a lot more fleshed out, shame that wasnt covered though.

Okay, so apparently I'm wrong. That's fair. I'm wrong and the first 20 hours of Final Fantasy 13 are filled with amusement and wonderful things, fun oozes forth from its entertainment laden pustules. So then, what would be the issue with someone playing through 5 of these 20 hours and not finding enjoyment?

See, my issue with your tangential rage is not you calling Newtype out, it's your "LA LA LA THIS GAME IS AMAZING" approach to defending it. You admit it has flaws yet whenever someone comments on any you seem to jump to its aid like a lioness to her cubs.

Either the pre-Chapter 11 shit is fun or it isn't. If it's fun, then there's no problem with Tycho and Yahtzee finding it bland as they gave it their chance and it wasn't their cup of tea, they weren't stupid or ignorant for doing so. If it's not fun then they're still justified as any gamet that makes you wait for fun already has a glaring design flaw. Thus, you have an argument that's automatically lost either way you look at it.

The other shit was and is me poking fun at you in the same way you do when I defend Spider-Man 3/Hitman/Val Kilmer/etc. I'm enjoying sitting in your chair and ridiculing you for once.

holy shit, this has gotta be you letting off steam for haku bullying you in the batman thread.

you're not reading what im saying. people've played the game, said their piece, ive agreed or not, subjectively as ever. newtype trolls. you, you're uh, im not sure what you're doing after that "dear livejournal: hondo's sure is mean to me sometimes" post back there.

what i said - can i type this more slowly? - was forming an opinion on some shit before playing it is retarded. tycho said he quit after a few hours off-handedly; yahtzee "reviewed" it by saying he played a few hours, which his review doesnt even seem to imply. that's some ignorant shit; if haku formed his kilmer as bats opinion after 10 minutes of the movie, before the dude even suited up, you'd wanna call shenanigans. maybe that's how you do reviews, i don't know. i think it's shit, so im calling it on that, but you dont even get the difference between unskippable summon animations and in-game tutorials.

i'm convined you're either trying to distract yourself from haku's "bullying" or just looking for my attention via selective reading, so im done here with you. when anyone who's played the game would like to discuss it again, im down.

Sexy Hat: you sir are a liar. i think i read Ruby weapon could be exploited by entering the fight with dead teammates & reviving them later and i wanna say this was lies, too.

• 1 month later...