Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy XIII

The NZA

Hmm, remember that comment you made to Jay about how he's the mirror image of Newtype. Yeah... I don't want to be the one to break it to you but... your staunch fanboyism is almost as insanely stubborned as his hatred of the game which neither of you have even played a demo of yet.

Admittedly I'm not liking the way this game is going much myself, but no towns (and a weak defense of the lack thereof), a disgustingly linear world (also with a weak defense of "now you wont get lost"), the fact that this things materializing into an over-long tech demo, and the fact that the cycle demands that it's about time for another bad Final Fantasy game (3, 5, 8) leave me uneasy. Granted 14 could easily be the bad one, but who can say.

Edited by Iambaytor

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right, but...im basing this offa reviews and first-hand accounts, including friends who've played. i set my sights low earlier on, but we're talking about a game that's already out, and is on our shores in like a month. ill say for certain then, but based on dozens and dozens of reviews/videos and what friends've said (as spoiler-free as possible), im free to point out things that're outright ridiculous/false.

but no towns (and a weak defense of the lack thereof), a disgustingly linear world (also with a weak defense of "now you wont get lost")

keep sayin' it, but the lack of towns to a certain point in the game is plot-based, by all accounts. without examining it to the point of spoiling it, it seems you're in a world of destruction and there's no time for that, at least until you're somewhere later where there is. i cant make that sound exciting to you if it doesnt, but you're missing the point is the thing. again, newt says he likes exploration in FF games, and didnt like X for a lack of an overworld...if this one opens up later and there's not much to do with it, or it just ends up shit, im not gonna recommend it to him. but the reasons for these things aren't what some taglines are saying.

im not even sure where you're getting the "now you won't get lost" bit from, but eh, you took forever to realize XII's greatness, i expect to be playing XVIII on a 3D TV before you give this one a go, so i guess we'll see then.

keep sayin' it, but the lack of towns to a certain point in the game is plot-based, by all accounts. without examining it to the point of spoiling it, it seems you're in a world of destruction and there's no time for that, at least until you're somewhere later where there is. i cant make that sound exciting to you if it doesnt, but you're missing the point is the thing. again, newt says he likes exploration in FF games, and didnt like X for a lack of an overworld...if this one opens up later and there's not much to do with it, or it just ends up shit, im not gonna recommend it to him. but the reasons for these things aren't what some taglines are saying.

Well, see, you make a good point. But see, I'm playing this game right now that takes place in a world of destruction, that's full of dangerous monsters that could flay a person in seconds, as well as an Orwellian government, a high level of radioactivity, and an army of just generally bad people lurking around looking for people to kill. Yet they still manage to have settlements, NPCs, and people to talk to, not to mention an entirely open and explorable world.

It's a little indie-game, I'm sure you've never heard of it, it's called Fallout. Lazy writing does not exscuse bad ideas.

You're aware that Fallout was an RPG long before it was a shooter/RPG right? Also, the only way this is vaguely reminding me of Fallout is if somebody with a boatload of bad ideas decided to make it. I've played enough RPGs with no towns and NPCs (Both Western and Japanese) to know that they're tedious, boring, and no matter how good the story they're a chore to finish. Also, the problem is that this is reminding me of Final Fantasy 8, it's reminding me a LOT of Final Fantasy 8.

that's because you're insane, and commenting from your insanity.

tell you what: let's tie up this Sonic 4 bet. after that, you will no doubt be on this game before the end of all things in 2012, so i have between now and then to form all sorts of glorious member titles from FF VIII and fallout comparisons. if by no means of research you somehow end up being right, i will proudly brandish my "NEVER LISTEN TO MY RECOMMENDATIONS HURR HURRRR DERP" tag at that point.

i will also no longer speak to will/bdfan4ever again if this goes poorly

Yes, because comparing two games solely from the point of story is entirely unfair because they were made in different countries is crazy.

I'm not betting against Square, they're a sneaky lot and they could just as easily pull something amazing out of their ass on this one. Square isn't cut and dry like Sonic team, I'm not betting on this one.

that's the thing about square.

its square-enix now, and everyone wants Squaresoft (the ones who'd try other non FF properties like Xenogears, Bushido Blade, Musashi, Parasite Eve etc) back, just like non Sega-Sammy etc but post FF Spirits Within that's just not their angle anymore.

Sure, theyve had some mediocre ones this gen (im told, as ive not played them) such as Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery etc...but then you play something like The World Ends With You and realize, they still got it when they're trying, and this looks like a lotta effort. I'm hoping for the same, mebbe smaller scale/more focused from Versus, but ive seen so little there.

and hey, if you're somehow a kingdom hearts fan what the fuck is wrong with you? theyre on fire this gen

Christ guys, Square Enix knows what the fuck they are doing. I don't care what anybody says, there has never been a bad final fantasy. Sure, some had annoying or terrible elements (I'm looking at you Junction system!) but there's not a one that I would label bad. Hell, square, and now square enix, have had the balls to reinvent the wheel which each iteration. Sure all FF have common themes and elements, but what other series can you bring up that is a completely different beast each time we see it.

Fact is, we are now at a time where most, if not all of these companies are ONE flop from bankruptcy. I can't begrudge them for porting FFXIII to Xbox, or for 'mainstreaming' the game a bit. I'm not particularly happy about it, but that is the reality of the industry today.

Take Mass Effect. They GUTTED it to make it appealing to a wider audience, and you know what, it worked.

All I'm saying is for a series that changes it's face so often, I don't see what all the fuss is about for this particular iteration.

5 years and over 300 people working on this game and the best they can do is make a line with a circle at the end and call it a world. That's not just poor level designing but comes across as being lazy as well.

So far Square has been one of worst publishers/developers this gen when it comes to Console gaming.

Kingdom Hearts does have fans. They are the ones who write/draw the yaoi comics.

aaargh i should leave this be, baytor's right and we're both talking about a game that's not even out over here yet, but you drive me crazy, man.

5 years and over 300 people working on this game and the best they can do is make a line with a circle at the end and call it a world. That's not just poor level designing but comes across as being lazy as well.

ok. so we've established:

1) square's lesser FF titles are still top-notch in production (Space Cowboy 4 Smartest Hondonian)

2) 300+ heads, millions of dollars, years of work.

3) rather than, like most, outsourcing to the Unreal Engine or the like, they made an engine to run the game on.

words like "controversial", "polarizing" etc work here. "lazy" isnt even in the ballpark!

So far Square has been one of worst publishers/developers this gen when it comes to Console gaming.

how does this make sense? most of the team has been working on this one since the generation's start! i figure most people are gonna gauge their console efforts this gen right here. its like saying "boy, Team ICO has done so bad this gen." they havent even started!

anyway, my point is this: this kinda preemptive hate/FUD is exactly why series like Dragon Quest arent allowed to evolve. Square didnt invent the JRPG, but they did refine it for years with things like Active Time Battle. after decades (and everybody else basically following suit), they reinvent the wheel with XII and you saw how that went: a fantastic game that defines "mixed reviews" with its fanbase.

now, if the same square says: for this one, we've stripped down forgettable towns, NPCs and the usual formula to focus on an engaging, beautiful experience that stresses plot/possible sense of urgency for its characters...why woudln't you welcome this? if FF really was about exploration for you - i.e., you typically did every single sidequest etc - i guess this'd be discouraging, but you'd still get what looks to be an outstanding game.

i just dont get this outlook. i want the series to keep evolving. there's gonna be entries/design decisions i like and some i loathe, but nothing'd be worse than just playing basically the same game a decade from now.

aaargh i should leave this be, baytor's right and we're both talking about a game that's not even out over here yet, but you drive me crazy, man.

ok. so we've established:

1) square's lesser FF titles are still top-notch in production (Space Cowboy 4 Smartest Hondonian)

2) 300+ heads, millions of dollars, years of work.

3) rather than, like most, outsourcing to the Unreal Engine or the like, they made an engine to run the game on.

words like "controversial", "polarizing" etc work here. "lazy" isnt even in the ballpark!

how does this make sense? most of the team has been working on this one since the generation's start! i figure most people are gonna gauge their console efforts this gen right here. its like saying "boy, Team ICO has done so bad this gen." they havent even started!

anyway, my point is this: this kinda preemptive hate/FUD is exactly why series like Dragon Quest arent allowed to evolve. Square didnt invent the JRPG, but they did refine it for years with things like Active Time Battle. after decades (and everybody else basically following suit), they reinvent the wheel with XII and you saw how that went: a fantastic game that defines "mixed reviews" with its fanbase.

now, if the same square says: for this one, we've stripped down forgettable towns, NPCs and the usual formula to focus on an engaging, beautiful experience that stresses plot/possible sense of urgency for its characters...why woudln't you welcome this? if FF really was about exploration for you - i.e., you typically did every single sidequest etc - i guess this'd be discouraging, but you'd still get what looks to be an outstanding game.

i just dont get this outlook. i want the series to keep evolving. there's gonna be entries/design decisions i like and some i loathe, but nothing'd be worse than just playing basically the same game a decade from now.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to play FF13 today and I must say they really took a butchers knife to the FF fromula. It seems like FF10 just wont fucking die, I miss my world maps. My girl friend pre ordered the collectors edition for me on Valentines Day so now im stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'll have to try my best to enjoy it. Maybe I just need to let go of my love for FF3, 6, 7 and 9 and try to embrace change.

yeah, that's my plan. friend of mine says its gonna feel that way the first 10 or so hours, kinda overwhelming/off-putting, then it just gets insane. but you're right, these design choices arent gonna be for everyone...reviews are pouring in, and i figure this is gonna be a more polarizing FF than XII was.

so cant wait for tuesday.

wait, there's an LE over there, then? what do you guys get? all we got was a mini-guide/advertisement for the guide from gamestop. :Hijack:

yeah, that's my plan. friend of mine says its gonna feel that way the first 10 or so hours, kinda overwhelming/off-putting, then it just gets insane. but you're right, these design choices arent gonna be for everyone...reviews are pouring in, and i figure this is gonna be a more polarizing FF than XII was.

so cant wait for tuesday.

wait, there's an LE over there, then? what do you guys get? all we got was a mini-guide/advertisement for the guide from gamestop. :Hijack:

Wow your LE sucks. We get a Music CD, Hard Cover Art Book, Unique Decal, Collectable Art Prints.

OZ Collectors Edition

and there is also a preorder bonus too 3 A4 high quatity lithographs

cool pitcures!

So yeah even if the game is arse atleast I still get some cool stuff :FHD:

the good thing about VI, VII & IX - not sure if Oz copies work like US ones, but over here, you can play them again and again. wait, who likes III?

bish & gun should be headed to the midnight release, sen's grabbing our copy tomorrow - who else is in?

the good thing about VI, VII & IX - not sure if Oz copies work like US ones, but over here, you can play them again and again. wait, who likes III?

bish & gun should be headed to the midnight release, sen's grabbing our copy tomorrow - who else is in?

Oz copies tend to burn and shrivel up after you finish them. It's in the PAL coding.

I just finished work and i'm on my way to JB Hi-Fi to pick up my copy now :D

3 was an exelent game it had a nice difficulty curve with an awesome class list and was overall fun to play.

Edited by Mr. Sexy Hat

i honestly cant speak from experience; i didnt even play the PSX remake of 3. its just, its seldom i hear it (much less part II) spoken of so well, i mightve missed out by passing on the ROM. i mean, i never even properly finished V, come to think of it.