Final Fantasy XIII

The NZA

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the 1st chapter of FF13

and

Its not bad really. The battle system is ok a bit boring but boss battles are good.

Ok just did 1st battle of chapter 2 and it is getting more interesting now.

Already found reference to F77 opening and cliffhanger (you'll know it when you see it)

Story is pretty interesting at the moment too

so far so good :D

only got about an hour or so last night and I'll get in a few more tonight but so far I like it, the combat does seem a bit boring at the start cause you dont' have much to do but from what I'm reading it gets much better, so far I'm liking it,

Also Snow's portarit in the game menu might be the greatest thing ever! and the game looks amazing...

so after spending some more time with it(still not more then a few hours, though I can pack in several tonight.) the combat reminds me alot of grandia 2. it feels fast paced, you have to watch where you hit guys if your using aoe, alot of choices as you go. I wonder why more games havn't done this style(it seems like it died with grandia till now)

oh and again, got this game looks fantastic...

yeah the entire combat system is great and combines several different' systems but it is different form ff12 which was another system I'm fond of. Looking at reviews and what I've played so far the biggest weakness of the game is that it goes to slow at the start, from story to how painful combat is for the frist hour or 2 it tries to ease you into it too much. They should have trusted people to be able to deal with a bit more.

haha, what a weird distraction

@ about chapter 8 now, thanks again to bish for clarifying some strategy/gameplay elements for me earlier, sen & I appreciate it.

gotta say: the OST/visuals are only improving as i go, as is the combat. more importantly, im well past what would've been considered disc 1 in the day and both the plot and characters are only getting more interesting as they go as well, which i'm loving, cause that's what i play FF games for, personally. if it maintains any degree of not falling apart in its final act (read: FF VII-X), its on its way to being one of my favorites in the series.

on the characters:

Hope's quickly developing, Sazh is more than comedy relief, even Snow's become more likable than his design would imply, we'll see if that holds. Lightning remains one of the (so far) better protagonists in recent years - the last one i really liked was Yuri from Tales of Vesperia - and Vanille, the one pissing off the most people, is slowly growing on me as well.

im just really hoping the game doesnt forget about any of them as we go along, id really be pleased if we minimized the nameless groupie syndrome (XII was great at this for me).

in a genre really showing its age & risking becoming an even more irrelevant/smaller niche than it was in the day, im so pleased square had the balls to throw out so many conventions/staples and really try something different, after the backlash XII got it must've been tempting to cave in & give fans the same old, same old like Dragon Quest got. so glad they didn't listen to newtype hordes of internet fanboys more interested in reading/spoiling everything than experiencing something new.

now if only square had the balls for the rest of the game....

Now as I get towards the end I like the game, I like the combat, I like the characters. but it really feels like there's stuff missing from the game(and bish was saying there's whole areas that were completed but left out of the game.) the story, imo, gets a bit disjointed but as I still have a couple of major areas left I'll reserve final judgement for a couple of days. It just really feels like there's a ton of stuff going on in the background but not talked about enough. I also think chp 11 didn't have much of a point personally(not saying more as people haven't gotten that far yet.

If the story isn't drawn out its not an ARRRPG. Also I hate Lightning she reminds me of Squall that poxy moody motherfucker.

There is only 2 things I like about FF8

#1 The card game

#2 Odin (Because he rocks up when ever the fuck he wants, kills everything and the fucks back off again.)

and do you know what really grinds my gears,

that fucking Shiva motorcycle thing I know after 20 years of FF games the ideas bucket might be running a bit dry but come on... Just take the Namco approch, less clothes more boobage. Nothing wins more than High Def mystical tits.

sexy hat says ridiculous things

gun - you guys are way ahead, but yeah, bish was saying that too. i can only imagine the shit Wada was giving the staff to just get the game out the gate already, so if that's the case, i can see it possibly having gone that way, nevermind whatever the budget had originally been in the game's earliest inception. george & i were kinda lamenting how this might be the last, greatest HD JRPG for a while, certainly on its caliber.

what areas was bish saying were entirely left out though, and where's he getting it from? mind you, i just got to chapter 8. 7 was long but crazy awesome as it went on, shit's been hitting a high note these last few chapters.

fuck this game, fuck it in the ear. we beat it last night

You'll have to ask bish for his source(good luck getting him to post) but yeah the first half of this game is so very good and the second half is kinda meh(except for some kick ass cg), it just feels like for every WTF moment in the story there's like 10 to 20 minutes of explanation about whats going on. It's driving me nuts cause it feels like there's a really neat story hiding there but they don't get into it enough, it's easy to tell they left stuff on the floor(or I hope so anyway). It's worth going through but I was disappointed :(

That said the combat and the engine are by far the saving graces in this game, I thought they did a great job with the combat system(outside some boss balance issues if your not a crazy powerleveler) and the game looks stunning!.

In some ways I wish they had set this up a bit more like a regular FF in terms of how they do the overworld and such. I'm not sure the weapon upgrade system was as good as it could of been either.

fuck this game, fuck it in the ear. we beat it last night

Ironically, I find a lot of people have the same sentiment about this game. Another sentiment that seems to be popping up is that many in the fan base feel disappointed with the game. For example “That guy with the glasses” had this to say:

ugh, that guy with the glasses, if bish isnt around to make me i dont have to watch it

didnt end well, then (obligatory angel request: DO NOT SPOIL THIS)? i get that you wanted uh, subtlety, but did it do the usual FF thing and kinda turn into a metaphysical mess in the 4th quarter, or no? cause honestly, where its at right now is really good, if the plot doesnt change it up & shit itself or simply hit a brick wall, im gonna be quite pleased.

it just ends up in WTF mode. It honestly really feels like they got to chapter 11, where like shit... we need to finish this game yesterday and did so. but there is a kick ass cg in chapter 12 that almost makes it all worth it(you'll know it when you see it) but yeah the best story line stuff is pre chap 11 after that it tries to wrap up but it feel like alot is left out. Again still worth the money, just not nearly as good as it could have been.