Hondo's Bar

Assassin's Creed

archangel

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Deej, I didnt think I would be interested. I spoke too soon.. I prolly wouldnt play it hours and hours on end to beat it asap, but it def looks like a good buy. I like that you can ride the horse, make it stand on end and scare away the crowd. The cool walking through the crowd and brushing by people bit looks cool and realistic as hell.

S'what a few people have said, but even with visions of the Future, it's still too cryptic to get excited about. Course Arch has figured 'em out so as usual there's prolly some huge thing I'm missing.

I'm just interested to see if they take a sequel into a different timeline. I loved the detailed, living world that the game is set in, but when it comes down to it, I've seen games set in medieval times (albeit, not ones that looked as good as Assassin's Creed). How cool would it be if they did a sequel in a place and time that you don't normally see in a videogame? Like, I don't know, colonial London or New York City in the 1860s. They've opened up the possibility of exploring the lives of any of Desmond's ancestors, so as cool as the Crusades-era Holy Land was, I hope they don't go back there for Assassin's Creed 2.

If I had my way, AC2 would focus on another ancestor in an interesting timeline between the Crusades and the near-future of Desmond's story, and then AC3 would focus almost entirely on Lucy's character. I really want to see where that character goes. And besides, I enthusiastically support the career of Kristen Bell. ^_^

I like that you can ride the horse, make it stand on end and scare away the crowd. The cool walking through the crowd and brushing by people bit looks cool and realistic as hell.

Oh man, the game is filled with all kinds of cool stuff like that. Throw a body off of a roof and watch the crowd below scream and gather around to investigate. Perform kills with your sword that would make Maximus proud. Personally, I think it's a lot of fun (and kind of relaxing) to forget about the targets sometimes and just free run from one side of the city to the other.

Edited by Silent Bob

Acch. SO great it was! And that's a great idea- worst comes to they could follow the movements of the

Piece(s) of Eden

through time and as Bob said, a setting that's not done to death(though acrobatic assisins may look out of place in 1860's NY). Colonial England sounds great!!

(though acrobatic assisins may look out of place in 1860's NY)

I dunno, man, watch Gangs of New York and tell me if you really believe that. I think it might be interesting to write in actual historic assassinations. Set a game in 1860s America and have the main character be the one who killed Lincoln. Or how about Europe of 1914. What if your character was the one who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand to start WWI? Sure it would rewrite history, but so did the first game. We've got bucket loads of World War II games, but can you think of any games set during World War I? I'm sure they'll figure it out, I just hope they don't stay with what's comfortable. The setting of the game was so refreshing, I want to be just as refreshed with the sequels. It takes more than great gameplay to keep a franchise alive. I loved their version of Prince of Persia, but by the third game I was getting a little bored with both the Prince and Persia. Hope they don't make that mistake twice.

Well they DID push that they have a huuuge & diverse multicultural development team, so theoretically they can push as far as they want and their disclaimer will piss away any objections. 300's press team should have been so on-the-ball. I'm still not seeing parkour in the semi-colonial 5 points(aside from the fact NY's map has been used to death in games), but I can see how the architecture lends that same feeling as some've the cities in AC.

huh.

sadly, ive still no opinion on this one, looking to borrow it soon and see if the rumors of "great looking, plays good, repetitive as hell" hold up or not. i gotta say, i was all hyped bout this one, but mixed reviews plus a sweep of awesome titles at least year's end made me totally forget it somehow.

Mixed reviews? Maldron there is the first person I've seen to have much bad to say about it.

I guess I can understand the "repetitive" complaint, but I've had the game for a couple months now and I still haven't gotten sick of just jumping from building to building so I don't mind the repetition. The only complaint I have is the anticlimactic ending, but they can make for that in the sequel.

Also, Altair's voice actor who, sadly, was the only lousy actor in the entire game. Seriously, the street beggars put in a better performance than he did.

I didn't mind the repetition all that much, to be honest. I did every pre-assassination mission that came my way and enjoyed it. My gripe comes from the way they end the game by introducing thirty new elements with a punchout, and the way in which you return to collect flags, an activity which requires you to watch an unskippable cutscene which lasts several minutes each time.

For the sake of metaphor: I enjoyed the ride, but the ending gave me whiplash and I take exception to the fact I have to wait in line to go on it again.

I didn't mind the repetition all that much, to be honest. I did every pre-assassination mission that came my way and enjoyed it. My gripe comes from the way they end the game by introducing thirty new elements with a punchout, and the way in which you return to collect flags, an activity which requires you to watch an unskippable cutscene which lasts several minutes each time.

Ok, you're right about that one. I usually just go for a snack while the master goes through his speech :welcome:

Mixed reviews? Maldron there is the first person I've seen to have much bad to say about it.

im not saying it got panned, but considering it made it out during the time of bioshock, rock band, orange box, mario galaxy, call of duty 4 etc it didnt get the AAA universal acclaim i think i was expecting. but hey, yahtzee on zero punctuation dug it.

• 1 year later...

1_Year_Later_Bullet.jpg

yeah, so, finally tied this one up recently, only mildly embarassed for having kept it from Space Cowboy for over a year now :cheers: , bless his patient soul.

this was indeed better than the initial shake i gave it. the scope/view of jerusalem, damascus etc was really awesome, really unique. sure, saving the poor, pickpocketing, climbing and diving off high places got stale, but ti took longer than i thought it would, given my usual wariness of sandbox games. and yeah, the plot was pretty predictable as it went along, but i was nonetheless compelled enough to keep going, boss fights/setup were fun as well (only one i got a bit lost on was towards the end-like when you're jumping around the docks).

i did, however, gently throw my goddamn controller at one point in the endgame where it decided it wanted to be Prince of fucking Persia alla sudden. unlike Bish, i never quite got the countering system down pat, and it fucking well showed when i kept getting ganged up on by the arbitrary need to make shit difficult and break the game's MO. that wasnt pleasant, but the gamer's other experiences were fortunately more memorable.

I can see the hype for part 2 now - its damn pretty so far - but my interest will have a bit more to do with Altair the 11th or whoever and what options they have when roaming about, cause yeah, the new Renaissance setting does indeed seem cool.

• 4 months later...

along with Left 4 Dead 2, Ass' Creed 2 looks to be comin' up roses. Bish & co should be happy to read that the history/environment are supposedly given their due here, looks even more wide-open insofar as options/ways of completing your task, and i was happy to read that now the (fewer) parts where you control Desmond aren't as seemingly pointless.

I'm going to be renting it today, because it's something that was on my "to do" list, and I do so love doing things that arrive upon that list, like buying Nick a PS2 copy of Rez like he asked me to only to get turned away at the door.

I chose this.

Edited by Maldron

I'm like a ghost, haunting the room with my whiteness. Yay, Stewie!

But yeah, will rent, will lend my personal impressions, but considering I loved the first and a lot of people called it a stonking great pile, I'm sure I'd have positive things to say here, as well. This was back in that dark and dreary age of the PS3 where game pickings were slim and the system wasn't.

Edited by Maldron