Hondo's Bar

Seafood.

HypnotizinChikns

We ate steamers and haddock on the grill just the other day, which got me thinking, about how damn good seafood is on the grill in the summer. besides lobster (i'll only eat it in Maine btw!) hadock and steamers, i'm at a loss as to what i could grill as far as seafood goes. Also, i'll only eat steamers at home, it took me about three years to get over a bad gritty experience thanks to our local seafood joint. Lesson learned.

Sushi on the other hand I could eat all day. :ifyouknowwhatimean:

so what's your fave seafood dish? oi! share any grill recipes!

Prawns would be great on the grill, we're lucky enough to have some of the finest prawns in the world grow in Dublin Bay.

What i like to do with them is this.

Heat plenty of Olive oil in a heavy pot, really hot, throw in slice garlic, sliced chilli peppers, salt, pepper, then when its bubbling away, throw in the prawns, they'll only take a minute to cook, then spoon them into a small bowl, with oil, and the garlic, and chilli, and mop up the flavoured oil using a crusty bread roll. Yum...

i'm at a loss as to what i could grill as far as seafood goes.

There is a simple answer to this question, and a fine suggestion for the amateur seafood griller, and that is swordfish. Swordfish is very hard to fuck up, adn best when grilled. That is all.

• 2 years later...

I've tried it all, crab, lobster, shrimp, oysters, and of course different fishes, and even some sushi. oh and scallops. And I hate it all, which sucks because I know it can be so healthy. Anyone have a recipe that down plays the taste of seafood? And is healthy.

We ate steamers and haddock on the grill just the other day, which got me thinking, about how damn good seafood is on the grill in the summer. besides lobster (i'll only eat it in Maine btw!) hadock and steamers, i'm at a loss as to what i could grill as far as seafood goes. Also, i'll only eat steamers at home, it took me about three years to get over a bad gritty experience thanks to our local seafood joint. Lesson learned.

Sushi on the other hand I could eat all day. :sad:

so what's your fave seafood dish? oi! share any grill recipes!

Which local seafood joint?

My favorite seafood? New England Clam Chowdah!

clam-chowder.jpg

I always have some when I'm in Boston (the best place for it). Yesterday at Faneuil Hall I had a whole quart of the clammy goodness to myself! It was clam-belch-tastic!

That and Sushi, of course, but I put Sushi in a category all by itself.

Steamers, I only have them on rare occasion at Weathervane.

Fried Clams, I like too. Especially whole clams. They kinda gross Aarty out when I eat them, but they are good as hell!

I like lobstah in New England. Even better in Maine. But only rarely. It's expensive.

How good is this clam chowder and would it be worth attempting myself?

It's some of the best food in New England! (Next time I'm in Boston, I'm going to try this place... Sam La Grassa)

Clam Chowder starts at 3:20 in this video.

If video doesn't work, click here.

It's a different recipe from the usual, there's not usually Cayenne Pepper, and more cream and milk, sometimes bacon, sometimes not, but bacon makes everything awesome!

Here's another way:

If video #2 doesn't work, click here.

And here's some recipes from Food Network, ranging in difficulty, cooking time, and complexity:

Food Network Link to Clam Chowdah Goodness!

So, I'd say definitely worth giving it a shot to cook if you want to, and definitely worth trying if it's on the menu somewhere (Though the best is made in the kitchen or in New England.)

Which local seafood joint?

I always have some when I'm in Boston (the best place for it). Yesterday at Faneuil Hall I had a whole quart of the clammy goodness to myself! It was clam-belch-tastic!

That and Sushi, of course, but I put Sushi in a category all by itself.

Steamers, I only have them on rare occasion at Weathervane.

Weathervane is gross, IMO, BJ brickers used to be alright, but they suck now that they have new owners.

Right now i stick to my house for seafood, or Koto Steakhouse in leb. which is pricey, but excellent.

Eh, I am rather fond of Weathervane...I at least like it better than Newick's...

Broiled haddock is yum, yum...

Scallops wrapped in bacon...oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it...

A nice seared tuna steak...

Hey Ben...Flanigan's soup of the day today was NE Clam Chowder...didn't order it, though: I didn't want to be disappointed.

Hey Ben...Flanigan's soup of the day today was NE Clam Chowder...didn't order it, though: I didn't want to be disappointed.

Heh, can't say I blame you! Can't wait to try the one in Boston at Sam La Grassa's.

DoJ, it's incredibly awesome that you are going to cook Clam Chowder. Let me/us know how it goes.

• 11 months later...

Mostly non-fish seafood items, such as shrimp, crab, lobster, and eel. I also like fish that don't have a strong taste (catfish is right out).

Here's something that I saw on Yahoo that I thought might interest some of you:

The only 6 fish you should eat

Amber says that too and it's bullshit, I'm convinced that Texans just can't cook catfish. If your catfish tastes fishy, then it's been poorly prepared by some dipshit who probably just skinned it and cooked it. Catfish has roughly the consistency and flavor of Talapia, only they're just a little bit less fishy not as tender they're also similar to Spoonbill. The key is that you have to soak the meat prior to cooking to remove all the muddy taste (since Catfish are bottom feeders) and then bread them with butter and flour with a good amount of salt and pepper (and maybe some lemon if you're feeling it) and fry them in a pan. What you DONT do (and what everybody seems to do) is clean it/drag it out of the package, lightly bread it (like as much as a chicken fried steak), and then fry it. It'll taste like shit. I've also heard of people letting the meat marinate in tobasco to remove bad flavor, but that's really not necessary.

Also fuck that list, this bullshit paranoia about mercury poisoning gets more ridiculous every day.

Looking for some seafood recipes...I have some tilapia and flounder in the freezer...since Ben & I are observing Lent and going meatless on Friday's, I am trying to kick it up a notch.

Any recipes would be welcome... :wink:

Melt some butter in a saucepan with some garlic, brush it on the fish and then rub some lemon pepper on either side. I used a grill so I can't give instructions for pan frying or oven, but the garlic-butter and lemon pepper make it great.

Amber says that too and it's bullshit, I'm convinced that Texans just can't cook catfish. If your catfish tastes fishy, then it's been poorly prepared by some dipshit who probably just skinned it and cooked it. Catfish has roughly the consistency and flavor of Talapia, only they're just a little bit less fishy not as tender they're also similar to Spoonbill. The key is that you have to soak the meat prior to cooking to remove all the muddy taste (since Catfish are bottom feeders) and then bread them with butter and flour with a good amount of salt and pepper (and maybe some lemon if you're feeling it) and fry them in a pan. What you DONT do (and what everybody seems to do) is clean it/drag it out of the package, lightly bread it (like as much as a chicken fried steak), and then fry it. It'll taste like shit. I've also heard of people letting the meat marinate in tobasco to remove bad flavor, but that's really not necessary.

Also fuck that list, this bullshit paranoia about mercury poisoning gets more ridiculous every day.

Melt some butter in a saucepan with some garlic, brush it on the fish and then rub some lemon pepper on either side. I used a grill so I can't give instructions for pan frying or oven, but the garlic-butter and lemon pepper make it great.

I'm willing to try some catfish you might cook, then.

Archived