Hondo's Bar

2008 Movies: Best Movie Bets of '08

Aartemys

So what's in store for the year to come? I just typed out the entire article...no need to rephrase...

38. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor -- August 1 -- Brendan Fraser, Jet Li, Maria Bello, Michelle Yeoh

Li kicks up this threequel, returning star Fraser's a welcome sight, and with Rob Cohen directing, the action will be fast and furious.

37. Revolutionary Road -- December 19 -- Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Kathy Bates

Leo and Kate reunite on screen for the first time since "Titanic"--but this time without James Cameron's lame dialogue. We feel like kings of the world!

36. Bedtime Stories -- December 25 -- Adam Sandler, Keri Russell

Sandler is back in "Daddy" mode as a man who tells his nephews tales that then come true. A bold prediction: Sandler + kids + X-mas release = $$$$$

35. Tropic Thunder -- June 11 -- Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey, Jr.

Owen Wilson had to drop, but there's still a trifecta of funnymen here as actors in a way film forced into actual battle. It's "Apocalypse Now" gone Frat Pack.

34. Mamma Mia! -- July 18 -- Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth

Supergroup ABBA, the divine Streep and a smash hit musical--my, my, how can we resist you? Answer: We couldn't if we tried. (And oh, we tried.)

33. He's Just Not That Into You -- August 1 -- Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson

Megawatt cast (also Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Connelly and more!) meets bestselling chick lit. We're very into that.

32. Untitled X-Files Sequel -- July 25 -- David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson

The truth is out there -- again. We've missed Special Agents Mulder and Scully, and are still trying to puzzle out the "answers" the first flick gave us.

31. Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay" -- April 25 -- Kal Penn, John Cho

The pot-loving duo that made '04's "White Castle" a surprise commercial (and critical!) success returns for more cannabis-fueled antics. We'll take a hit.

30. Eagle Eye -- August 10 -- Shia LaBeouf, Michelle Monaghan

The "Disturbia" director (D.J. Caruso) and star (LaBeouf) reteam, and this time we won't be surprised when their terrorist-themed thriller is a smash.

29. Semi-Pro -- February 29 -- Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, Andre Benjamin

Will Ferrell in a sports comedy? Let's go way out on a limb here: It'll be a slam dunk. Tack on an extra $20 million if Ferrell takes his shorts off.

28. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -- November 26 -- Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett

A Fitzgerald tale about a man who starts aging backwards, directed by David Fincher? Hurry Up! We're not getting any younger.

27. Yes Man -- December 19 -- Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Terrence Stamp

After the unintentionally funny "Number 23," Carrey returns to broad comedy (thank Morgan Freeman!) as a man who says "yes" to everything for a year.

26. Horton Hears a Who! -- March 14 -- Jim Carrey, Steve Carell, Isla Fisher, Seth Rogen

At last, someone decided not only to make a Dr. Seuss movie animated, but to animate Jim Carrey, too. All the Whos down in Whoville like it...a lot.

25. The Spiderwick Chronicles -- Feb 15 -- Freddie Highmore, Sarah Bolger, David Strathairn

If you have kids, or know any, just mention "Spiderwick"; you'll understand. Sure to be a family fave (take a nephew if you have to).

24. Forgetting Sarah Marshall -- May 30 -- Kristen Bell, Jason Segel, Jonah Hill

Apatow's crew keeps on charging with this comedy about a guy's breakup with his famous girlfriend. A hit could spell breakout for Segel.

23. Nim's Island -- April 4 -- Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler, Abigail Breslin

"Little Miss Sunshine" joins two heavy-hitters in this family adventure that recalls "Romancing the Stone" and finds Foster dabbling in slapstick.

22. Cloverfield -- Jan 18 -- Michael Stahl David, Mike Vogel, Blake Lively

New York gets decimated for the second time in as many months, this time at the hands of a JJ Abrams mega-monster -- and yet we're dying to see it.

21. Baby Mama -- Apr 18 -- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sigourney Weaver

Two words: Tina Fey. So good on TVs "30 Rock" the sexy-smart "SNL" alum finally gets a shot at leading ladyhoood -- and we couldn't be more psyched.

20. Hellboy II -- July 11 -- Ron Perlman, John Hurt, Selma Blair

Since "Pan's Labyrinth," we'd pay to see Guillermo del Toro's home movies. Luckily, this is better--a sequel to his super-fun first trip to "Hell."

19. Burn After Reading -- TBD -- George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand

Fresh off the acclaimed "No Country for Old Men" the Coen brothers join forces with two of the biggest stars on the planet. Can you say "foolproof"?

18. Untitled Ridley Scott Film -- Oct 10 -- Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe

Two A-listers team up with Scott and scribe William Monahan ("Departed") for a tense political thriller that looks like an Oscar favorite.

17. Leatherheads -- Apr 4 -- George Clooney, Renee Zellweger

After a triumphant directorial drama ("Good Night and Good Luck"), we want to see what Clooney can do with rom-com -- and his big star, Clooney.

16. The Love Guru -- Jun 20 -- Mike Myers, Jessica Alba, Romany Malco

In case you forgot what he looks like (hint: not a green ogre), Myers finally returns in the flesh as the titular Cupid who brings Alba and Malco back together.

15. Wall-E -- Jun 27 -- Fred Willard, Jeff Garlin, Ben Burtt

Having made rats in the kitchen adorable, Pizar will now have every kid in America wanting his own robot from outer space. Parents, you've been warned.

14. The Incredible Hulk -- Jun 13 -- Edward Norton, Liv Tyler, Tim Roth, William Hurt

For those of you who hated Ang Lee's version, this movie's like a do-over; and with Norton as Banner, things are about to get VERY interesting.

13. Wanted -- June 27 -- James McAvoy, Angelina Jolie

Jolie is back in hot-spy mode (where we like her best), while ever-rising star McAvoy is her trainee. Will they go undercover? We can only hope.

12. Get Smart -- Jun 20 -- Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson

Carell's proved he can re-make an already popular character...And would you believe this is on TV show we've been jonesing to see on the big screen?

11. The Pineapple Express -- Aug 8 -- Seth Rogen, James Franco, Amber Heard

This stoner comedy, co-written by Rogen and produced by Judd Apatow, sounds like "Superbad: The College Years." And that's a very good thing.

10. Star Trek XI -- Dec 25 -- Zachary Quinto, Chris Pine, Simon Pegg

Despite the controversy over Mr. Shatner's diss, count on Trekkies coming out of the woodwork for JJ Abrams' fashionably cast voyage.

9. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian -- May 16 -- Ben Barnes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell

Considering the first one made a gazillion dollars (unofficial estimate), look for this summer sequel to earn even more green.

8. Hancock -- July 2 -- Will Smith, Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman

Golden rule: Everyone loves Will Smith. His Peter Berg-directed hard-living superhero will kick all comers to the curb--and be way more fun than Superman.

7. Speed Racer -- May 9 -- Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci, Matthew Fox

The Wachowskis turn the '70s 'toon into a live-action film that LOOKS like a 'toon, alienating and thrilling fans all at once. Go, Speed Racer, go!

6. Sex and the City -- May 30 -- Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall

Hellooo, lover! Let the boys slobber over the action flicks. For fans of the series, this reunion of our "girls" is bigger than Big--it's fabulous.

5. Iron Man -- May 2 -- Robert Downey, Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow

Comic book adaptations are always a gamble, but movie fans have been geeking out over this one since its first footage debuted at Comic-Con.

4. Bond 22 -- Nov 7 -- Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Mathieu Amalric

Hot women, explosive action and Daniel Craig returning as the grittiest 007 in decades--audiences should be prepared to be shaken and stirred.

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince -- Nov 21 -- Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

We can't stop now! Knowing the plot's never been a problem--we just want to see how the penultimate "Potter" plays out on screen.

2. The Dark Knight -- July 18 -- Christian Bale, Heath Ledger

With Bale returning and Ledger donning the Joker's maniacal makeup, "Knight" promises to be even darker (and better?) than "Batman Begins."

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- May 22 -- Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett, Shia LeBeouf

Hang onto your fedoras: The world's sexiest archaeologist is about to battle aliens. (We think.)

Some of these movies I'm really looking forward to (but what's with the glowing look forward at each of these?).

No kidding it reminds me of those old SNL sketches where Sandler was the crotchety old man and Chris Farley was the overly-excited overweight wife reading resteraunt reviews from the Zagat's guide.

Hurm. Wanted looks like an abomination that may just work if everyone(and especially me) can just completely detach it from the Awesome Millar/Jones book. Obviously I'm excited about the rest of the comic adaptions(lotta promise in IM, Hulk & Hellboy especially). Yes man is a book I can't reccommend highly enough to people(wrong thread but I don't care- Danny Wallace- also check out Follow me), but I don't hold high hopes for Jim Carrey being able to deliver the same deliberately charming British Narrative.

I've learnt not to get too excited early on. Speaking of which, has anyone seen American Gangster? Going to see it tonight and I'll admit I'm a little hyped.

I dunno how to feel about Harry Potter though. Before the Half-blooded Prince, Azkaban was my favourite book and the movie far from delivered(I didn't even like the casting), whereas now Prince is my favourite book and I believe has all the makings of a great cinematic experience. Ehhh..

These are the one's I am looking forward to:

34. Mamma Mia! -- July 18 -- Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth

Supergroup ABBA, the divine Streep and a smash hit musical--my, my, how can we resist you? Answer: We couldn't if we tried. (And oh, we tried.)

33. He's Just Not That Into You -- August 1 -- Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson

Megawatt cast (also Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Connelly and more!) meets bestselling chick lit. We're very into that.

31. Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay" -- April 25 -- Kal Penn, John Cho

The pot-loving duo that made '04's "White Castle" a surprise commercial (and critical!) success returns for more cannabis-fueled antics. We'll take a hit.

25. The Spiderwick Chronicles -- Feb 15 -- Freddie Highmore, Sarah Bolger, David Strathairn

If you have kids, or know any, just mention "Spiderwick"; you'll understand. Sure to be a family fave (take a nephew if you have to).

24. Forgetting Sarah Marshall -- May 30 -- Kristen Bell, Jason Segel, Jonah Hill

Apatow's crew keeps on charging with this comedy about a guy's breakup with his famous girlfriend. A hit could spell breakout for Segel.

23. Nim's Island -- April 4 -- Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler, Abigail Breslin

"Little Miss Sunshine" joins two heavy-hitters in this family adventure that recalls "Romancing the Stone" and finds Foster dabbling in slapstick.

21. Baby Mama -- Apr 18 -- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sigourney Weaver

Two words: Tina Fey. So good on TVs "30 Rock" the sexy-smart "SNL" alum finally gets a shot at leading ladyhoood -- and we couldn't be more psyched.

16. The Love Guru -- Jun 20 -- Mike Myers, Jessica Alba, Romany Malco

In case you forgot what he looks like (hint: not a green ogre), Myers finally returns in the flesh as the titular Cupid who brings Alba and Malco back together.

15. Wall-E -- Jun 27 -- Fred Willard, Jeff Garlin, Ben Burtt

Having made rats in the kitchen adorable, Pizar will now have every kid in America wanting his own robot from outer space. Parents, you've been warned.

12. Get Smart -- Jun 20 -- Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson

Carell's proved he can re-make an already popular character...And would you believe this is on TV show we've been jonesing to see on the big screen?

11. The Pineapple Express -- Aug 8 -- Seth Rogen, James Franco, Amber Heard

This stoner comedy, co-written by Rogen and produced by Judd Apatow, sounds like "Superbad: The College Years." And that's a very good thing.

9. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian -- May 16 -- Ben Barnes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell

Considering the first one made a gazillion dollars (unofficial estimate), look for this summer sequel to earn even more green.

7. Speed Racer -- May 9 -- Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci, Matthew Fox

The Wachowskis turn the '70s 'toon into a live-action film that LOOKS like a 'toon, alienating and thrilling fans all at once. Go, Speed Racer, go!

6. Sex and the City -- May 30 -- Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall

Hellooo, lover! Let the boys slobber over the action flicks. For fans of the series, this reunion of our "girls" is bigger than Big--it's fabulous.

3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince -- Nov 21 -- Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

We can't stop now! Knowing the plot's never been a problem--we just want to see how the penultimate "Potter" plays out on screen.

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- May 22 -- Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett, Shia LeBeouf

Hang onto your fedoras: The world's sexiest archaeologist is about to battle aliens. (We think.)

In no particular order and for no particular reason...

According to IMDB, "Choke" is in production with a release for 2008, but no solid release date. Cast looks good, though.

Aarty you get that issue of Empire too? They had a feature of all the big movies of 2008 and I was gonna post this exact thread myself.

Anyways, The big mysterious marketing campaign for Cloverfield is kinda redundant for us euros seen as it comes on the 1st of feb not the 18th of jan over here. They didnt even bother to change the date on the original trailer for european screens. Bastards. Lying to us through the medium of cinema.

Got me a nice big Indy Crystal Skull poster though! Cant wait for that. The Indy movies always held a special place in my heart while growing up.

But aliens? God i can deal with ancient malevolent Inca spirits but aliens just doesnt gel with a 1940s archaeologist for some reason...

I was reading that 08 is going to be the sequel-a-thon year. So basically any movie that made money, its gonna come out with another one this year.

As opposed to '07?

Spider-Man 3

Shrek the Third

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

The Bourne Ultimatum

Rush Hour 3

Ocean's 13

Live Free or Die Hard

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

I could go on, but I'm depressing myself.

yeah, sequels do better than new franchises, i believe.

wow, dark knight, iron man and indy are really gonna work overtime to balance out the suck that is narnia, another kumar flick, and sex & the city especially. you heard it here first.

We'll see about Hulk, Bond and Wanted, Hellboy II should be fun. Which arc are they going with?

oh, and Burn After Reading (and that Tina Fey one) could be great as well.

Well, it has the same director as Order of the Phoenix and that was my favorite adaptation so far.

If Choke is in fact coming out this year, it is strange that it was left out.

Is Choke actually getting a theatrical release? I know it's hitting Sundance next week but is it actually gonna hit theaters? Huh? Tell me more!

If my memory serves me correctly they were all set to go with Survivor until 911. Like they had a director on board, the script was finalised and the casting was done. Dunno if they started filming.

Heres hoping for an adaptation of Haunted. That would make Hostel look like Driving Miss Daisy.

Archived