Hondo's Bar

Speed Racer

Ok, so the W brothers have finished their latest project, SPEED RACER. While I am not a big Emile Hirsch fan (girl next door) he does show a lil promise on this flick. The trailer didnt do all that much for me, as for these far fetched comic style sci fi flicks seem to numb my mind as opposed to challange it, it should still be a decent flick.

the non-rickrolled link

GO GO SPEED RACER

Yeah, I'm psyched for this movie. The cast is good and it's embracing the camp factor. And keeping it G/PG is smart. I don't want a "darker/grittier Speed Racer". I want a trite cartoon brought to life with awesome action sequences and a wholesome message.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All I gotta say is you owe it to yourself to at least watch this in the theater (just don't go on acid cause your head'll explode). Great movie! Fun, smart, entertaining and with heart. I'm sad that it's not doing good in the box office. The only complaint I have is that it's too long for a kids movie (but when has that ever been a complaint when the movie is good). The racing scenes are second to none. That, FOR SURE, you've NEVER seen before! Go see Speed Racer, GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Had to do it.

I loved this movie, and I too am disappointed it's not doing well in theater. Every filmmaker who takes on an adaptations says they do it with love for the source material. Few of them mean it. The Wachoskis clearly love Speed Racer. The spirit of the show, the characters, the sense of comedy and drama and wonder all shines through so completely.

Sometimes a great cast feels like it's wasted, and that even if a movie is good, it doesn't need the incredible talent, well, this movie really took advantage of the cast. Christina Ricci's moments as Trixie would have been completely thrown away on almost any other talented actress, but she made every one of her moments charming. I'm tired of John Goodman being default actor for every big budget movie's gruff man role, but he really came through as Pops. Lots of directors would have tossed out Chim-Chim has it doesn't make any sense, but the Wachoskis embraced the surreality.

I know alot of people felt let down by the Wachoskis after the Matrix sequels, but if V for Vendetta didn't completely redeem them, this did. It has the surreality of Sin City, but with no grit. It was a living cartoon. It was a bold colorful unreal world. People do own it to themselves to see this in theaters, and they should hurry cause it probably won't be around long, unfortunately.

And finally, this movie had heart. It was silly and over the top heart, but when Speed talked about how much racing meant to his family, and how much Rex's death shook him family to its core, I had tears in my eyes.

Go see this movie.

I'm so happy you guys like it, too! Everytime I bring it up to someone, I feel like I have to spend thirty minutes trying to convince them that it's worth it and they'll love it.

I don't have much to add other than I loved the entire cast and it was fucking awesome. The racing scenes really had me kind of on the edge of my seat, and I teared up a few times.

I kind of want to see it again... haha

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed; fucking phenomenal! As close to a perfect film as I've seen this year. I watched most of this with my mouth hanging open and a big, stupid smile on my face. I also have to keep convincing people it's good, but I'm glad there's lots of fans here. So far none mof my friends who have seen it haven't loved it.

Man, Shane & I saw this & Incredible Hulk back-to-back at the driveins(that's right, we saw it in a car- sadly SHane didn't take full advantage of this sitting behind the wheel but I tend to think this was because his poor irish brain was confused by the pedals and lack of horse, dog or other strong quadraped) and we loved the shit outta it. Sure we were rolling drunk by the end and may or may not have shouted down the last remaining patrons of the drive in with our passionate sing-along to whatever bastardized remix of the theme we heard(I vaguely recall Fergie), but I don't think that diminishes our opinions any.

• 2 years later...

The first 15minutes that cuts from flashbacks that sets up the exposition for the uninitiated in the world of Speed Racer to an eyepopping color clusterfuck of a car race is some pretty skillful and entertaining movie making. The Wachowski Bros. have a deep love for the source material that shows through, and fans of the old anime should be satisfied.

Archived