Hondo's Bar

The King of Kong

Documentary about an old video game and its unbeatable high score, sounds boring as hell, but actually kept me completely enthralled from beginning to end.

I saw on G4 they're about to premiere it. Anyone else see this gem. Some of the movie's points are being disputted and is pretty interesting to check both sides of the argument. Regardless, watch it.

IMDB page

Yeah, if you go to the imdb message boards for the film you'll see alot of points the documentry left out, and there's also the website for the records scores that has posted their disputes for the film.

Pinball wizard would make SO much more sense, good call.

Yeah I hear Babo O'Reilly I expect to see CSI New York, not a documentry on Donkey Kong.

Man, my local store(the one I took Nick to) was offering passes to the advance screening of this when it was in cinemas but I missed out. And I've no idea if and when it's coming to domestic dvd. Very curious about it.

A mighty fine documentary. Its a shame they make Billy Mitchell look like a jerk in the flick, but I can understand it adds drama to the mix. You guys can catch it on TV on June 1st (as fluffakins mentioned).

:D I just watched this earlier today. In fact you started this thread not too long aftter I finished it.

*Looks around for the hidden cameras*

A surprisingly interesting movie, indeed.

A mighty fine documentary. Its a shame they make Billy Mitchell look like a jerk in the flick, but I can understand it adds drama to the mix. You guys can catch it on TV on June 1st (as fluffakins mentioned).

He definately came off as a jerk in this flick. Do you disagree with the film's view of him?

Great userpic, by the way. :t2:

I don't know from the trailer I got the impression that Billy was a bit protective of his record but the other guy struck me as a bit of a "I'm fucking awesome at everything, hey guys come see how fucking awesome I am!" type of guy with an ego the size of a plot hole in a Marvel Comics crossover event so I just got the impression they were both jerks but Billy looked like the more likeable jerk.

He definately came off as a jerk in this flick. Do you disagree with the film's view of him?

Great userpic, by the way. :t2:

In the film, no. that was the point. One good. One 'bad'. The thing is, I've known who this guy is for years and if you see anything preKing of Kong, you'd see him in a different light (at least i do). He took this whole 'HI-score' thing as one big hobby. But once he got the Pac-Man top score, he figured he'd see what else he could do well in.

Although competitive by nature, it was all in the name of fun. The guy was never out to beat any specific person's score. Mitchel just wanted to test himself at a variety of old games. It's funny too because I remember seeing this special on Billy Mitchel after his dominating Pac-Man win (or score), and at the end of it he talks about his future plans to see what he can do on other games.

The movie is edited to just show that "I'm out to be Numero Uno" fuckface. So I don't blame him for wanting to sue the director. As I watched it, I couldn't help but feel for the guy but at the same time root for Steve Wiebe. Regardless, I sat back and thoroughly enjoyed the flick. Alas, Wiebe didn't keep the title as Mitchel took it back a few months after it was shot (I think). What's great though, is that this may be a sequel in the making. Everyone wins.

NOW, a VG documentary I've been wanting to see for half-a-decade is Bang the Machine. I'm sure its something 99% wouldn't be remotely interested in, but why not share...right?

*NOTE* This trailer is in slideshow mode for some reason and I couldn't find a better version.

Thanks. I had to edit the avatar down to the 200kb size limit...its alot funnier at normal speed.

I loved it. Saw it at the florida film festival. Haven't heard about any controversy, but I thought it was immensely entertaining and you don't need to give a shit about video games to enjoy it.

There's another documentary about classic gaming out called "Chasing Ghosts" which is about the pacman champ. It also features the ponytailed douchebag guy. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's great, and I think the title is awesome.

Every documentry chooses a side.

I've read that Steve and Billy are both jerks in their own right, however, Billy looked to be the ass in this. Unfortunatley the gamers association (or what the fuck ever it's called) didn't help any by allowing one person to submit a video and not the other. I think that's when the documentry took a turn for the worse as far as Billy went.

I loved the daughter, who pretty much stated her dad was being a big loser.

It's a good and entertaining watch, my husband rented it and I was all "oh god, this is going to suck and be dumb and I'm not watching..."

By the end I was rooting for a side.

I'm such a sucker...

This movie was cool, had a lotta fun with it, but yeah, i came off it knowing what los'd said before yet having a hard time not seeing Billy as a huge, huge d-bag from it, much less his weasily disciple...that kid was hilariously sad.

This movie was cool, had a lotta fun with it, but yeah, i came off it knowing what los'd said before yet having a hard time not seeing Billy as a huge, huge d-bag from it, much less his weasily disciple...that kid was hilariously sad.

Let's be honest if you're not Korean and hold the record for the world's highest score in anything, you've gotta be a huge d-bag.

• 1 month later...

Just watched this again with some friends that havn't seen it, and they were blown away, and I totally loved seeing it again. The entire time they were as captivated as I was with it. Its nice to see other people I actually know getting into it as much as I did. For a while there I wasn't sure if I was just smitten or it was really that good.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just saw chasing ghosts, and sadly is not as good as king of kong. it's more of a historical tone than adversarial like fistful.

i heard that was the point though, to make it dry but more honest/accurate to the scene. its not a scene that's gonna appeal to a lotta people in & of itself if you dont create/emphasize drama.

Archived