Hondo's Bar

Letters to the editor

The NZA

Right, so i know weve got the Suggestion Box thread, but here's where you can take things up with me/how i admin directly.

If rumors on the streets internets are to be believed, ive - directly or not - helped chase off a few members in the last few weeks. I'm told Sig partly left because i asked/accused him of latent misogyny, and arch claimed i was discriminating against his views in the "is hondo's anti-religious?" thread.

Ive met sig, i figured he'd appreciate the direct route and that's mostly my MO anyway, so if i was wrong, all apologies, but ill likely make another mistake one day and go about it the exact same way.

Arch - Joel - is a great guy, but i thought what he was doing was wrong. I did not use any admin abilities to censor, but i felt his blatant derailing/mudslinging was detrimental to a thread i felt was both important and going somewhere. I'm of course regretful if he stays gone for something I myself did (make no mistakes about it; the fault is all mine) but I dont think what I did was wrong. You're all welcome to dispute that, of course.

DoJ ironically said my subsequent attitude was blasé, and it may well've been because i dont agree with someone else chiming in to say they think things are going nowhere when I did what I did to ensure that they do, and i believe they have.

I did that because in my mind, this place needs to stay open & honest. Part of the "leaving your taboos at the door" bit means people need to be able to talk, even on the things uncomfortable (especially offline). I know things get hairy 'cause our words dont always carry right on the internet, plus there's the six degrees which means some people can say/do more than others 'cause of familiarity, but the other side of that coin is people taking deeper personal offense. Its unavoidable with what we've built, i think.

I also spend a fair amount of time - PMing and the like - dealing with people's various sensitivities, sometimes doing damage control and sometimes just talking, because at the end of the day we dont want anyone to go, but ive clearly failed at that recently and if put in the same position, again, id not do much different.

I'm not always going to be here. I'll likely be taking another leave this year for training, and again, this place is getting more self-sufficient but the point is, right now, I am here, and as such you guys are welcome to question or comment on how and what I do here, so feel free.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sig left? shit, i assumed he'd just slowed down a bit.

any chance of gettin' him back?

i don't remember the incident you're talking about, did it happen offline?

but arch has'nt left has he? he was on here earlier today

personally i can't say i have any complaints with how you run the board.

you seem (to me) to have mastered the act of giving your opinion but still remaining somewhat neutral.

so yeah, just stay doin' what your doin'

I'm not always going to be here.

now that's just crazy talk

Joel's last post was the one in the "Is Hondo's anti-religous?" thread, at 11:46PM yesterday, in which he said he was never coming back to Hondo's. His Member Profile page has his 'Last Seen' set to 'Private', so no telling if he has been voyeuring since then, unless you saw at the bottom of the main page that he was online today.

I personally won't shed one tear over archangel's departure. If he comes back, fine with me, if not, also fine with me. Nick is right, progress was being made in that thread, and he was just antagonizing and trying to have me strung up and hanged over meaningless semantics (and I love semantics, so for me to call them meaningless is saying something). I really doubt he's gone for good, and on the slim chance he's gone for any real extended time, I think a sabbatical will do Hondo's, or at least me, some good. Also, we can't rule out that he's just vying for Most Missed Hondonian at this year's Hondies.

I really hope arch or signal are not gone for good. people disagree, hell i've had it out with arch before and since then have learned not to take shit so seriously here.

Everyone has a place no matter what there veiws or beliefs are, unless of course they are just a mindless troll...but that's another discussion.

I've never had a problem with admin (irish ninja) before and have always felt welcome here, even if someone doesn't agree with me. The best way to have fun here and stay out of the drama is just to avoid it. If someone's bothering me or prodding I just close out the thread. blamo! problem solved.

That being said, I am gratefull to have a place to just unwind online.

Arch - Joel - is a great guy, but i thought what he was doing was wrong. I did not use any admin abilities to censor, but i felt his blatant derailing/mudslinging was detrimental to a thread i felt was both important and going somewhere. I'm of course regretful if he stays gone for something I myself did (make no mistakes about it; the fault is all mine) but I dont think what I did was wrong. You're all welcome to dispute that, of course.

Much unlike what arch would do to me...

It was rare and happened in spurts few and far between, especially when he first became a mod, but it did happen... I'm still pissed, especially about the crap-shacked posts that I can't even find anymore; but it was the threat to ban me from politics back in February that kept me away for another month or so after I ended my hiatus that started middle-to-late last year.

There was me wanting for proof....

Okay, help me find a thread in the crap shack by me that seems completely out of place, I found the threat, and a post of mine that hinted to me being banned, but I'm still looking

Okay, help me find a thread in the crap shack by me that seems completely out of place, I found the threat, and a post of mine that hinted to me being banned, but I'm still looking

its your beef man, i'm just saying, it sounds kind of peculiar and outlandish is all, especially with your and arch's history being about as dirty as skeets underwear after some VB.

It came in spurts when he felt like power-tripping, I was probably his guinea pig for testing all his new mod powers too, lord knows he couldn't pull that shit on Jax because he was also a mod

Until i get proof, i'd be skeptical, no offence to you or anything, it just seems a bit too underhanded for arch.

Drifty, thats project mayhem... Anything goes in there, you could go in there, edit, delete or move so i wouldn't take much offense to that, if you can find where arch moved your shit however, i'd be interested, cos uh, that was me who moved that to the crap shack to see how it felt.

it felt gooooood......

Archived