Hondo's Bar

Misuse of Mod Power to view IPs

Reverend Jax

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not posting admin or moderator logs. Tons of what is done is menial at best, and the point of it is that I have to trust those in such given positions or they cant keep them.

I trust jax to not do this again. I dont trust him to uncharacteristically be diplomatic about it, but again, insofar as the rest of hondo's, its his case to sell. If any discussion's left, its about this & him, not a pointless transparency to second-guess those who keep this place running.

and the point of it is that I have to trust those in such given positions or they cant keep them.

Much like we have to trust our politicians who are in Charge? After all, they have our best interest in Mind.

That's absurd. He's already shown he CAN'T be trusted, and it's been pretty much echoed by people here that they think that it's only a matter a time something like this will happen again. Also, as a community, we do have a right to know if administrators are invading our privacy: it goes to the spirit of Hondo's. Trust, but verify.

And if it's going to end up with a 'Well, in the end I trust him, and that's all that matters, peons' then what was the point in all this? Just so people can vent and eventually forget it?

If people don't trust your moderators, then you have SERIOUS problems. Igoring them isn't going to make 'em go away. Hell, even DF and Maldron weren't quite done with it, even after Jax's carefully designed derailment aimed at getting negative attention off of him (like I said before, he's DAMNED good at that).

why would i deny something i clearly did. I did it to prove to you that you weren't everybody like you were trying to be. You act stupid, you reap your "rewards"

someone said i was so i posted that thread

after all it is called 'crap shack' 4 a reason right

stop calling me stupid ffs what makes u think youre better :yup:

Much like we have to trust our politicians who are in Charge? After all, they have our best interest in Mind.

i understand everything in your life is analogous to american politics, but that's not the model for this place, and im uncertain why you keep referring to it.

That's absurd. He's already shown he CAN'T be trusted, and it's been pretty much echoed by people here that they think that it's only a matter a time something like this will happen again. Also, as a community, we do have a right to know if administrators are invading our privacy: it goes to the spirit of Hondo's. Trust, but verify.

that was never "the spirit of hondo's". You're thinking of something else.

I'm going to post something down the road to help narrow down this spirit that people seem to use for whatever's convenient, but i never said it was that.

And if it's going to end up with a 'Well, in the end I trust him, and that's all that matters, peons' then what was the point in all this? Just so people can vent and eventually forget it?

Yes, i said "peons." you waste no time trying to dig up some inane cause here.

no, so jax can answer to it, to people's satisfaction - or not. I never said this meant his position was forfeit. and yes, frankly, as the admin, my trusting you in a position is what it comes down to, lest i be swayed soley by popular opinion. Again, this is about him being held to something publicly, which doesnt really involve me.

If people don't trust your moderators, then you have SERIOUS problems. Igoring them isn't going to make 'em go away. Hell, even DF and Maldron weren't quite done with it, even after Jax's carefully designed derailment aimed at getting negative attention off of him (like I said before, he's DAMNED good at that).

yes, its a SERIOUS problem and no doubt the community will fall apart, as it did in your absence. Strangely, i trust it'll go on past this, as i trust jax will not do this again having seen how many it bothered.

by the way, DoJ posting his IP is pretty outta line, but then again, didnt he kinda say to do so, and that it was shielded? granted, he didnt say to post it.

i understand everything in your life is analogous to american politics, but that's not the model for this place, and im uncertain why you keep referring to it.

because it's just that: an anology. and it works.

that was never "the spirit of hondo's". You're thinking of something else.

so...posting without any fear of censorship isn't a tenant of this place? Or the privacy to remain anonymous? That's not it?

Then please do define it, because at it stands, many don't like what he did and thinks it's against this place's ethos.

Yes, i said "peons." you waste no time trying to dig up some inane cause here.

Hyperbole much?

no, so jax can answer to it, to people's satisfaction - or not. I never said this meant his position was forfeit. and yes, frankly, as the admin, my trusting you in a position is what it comes down to, lest i be swayed soley by popular opinion. Again, this is about him being held to something publicly, which doesnt really involve me.

To what end?

This is a simple point, Nick, and it's not even a question of popularity, since everyone (mostly) believe's he's a good mod. But most ALSO believe he a. broke the rules and b. would probably do so again.

So, the question is this: if WE can't trust him, does it really matter? And if he does it again, then what? There's a. no way for us to know and b. no assurances our privacy is protected.

yes, its a SERIOUS problem and no doubt the community will fall apart, as it did in your absence.

oh, you. deflecting away. I love it when you realize you're losing an argument and resort to this, it's cute.

Strangely, i trust it'll go on past this, as i trust jax will not do this again having seen how many it bothered.

even though not many others do?

In effect, I as a member want to know if our opinions of these things are actually worth anything, cos if not, why bother? Just be frank. At the very least we wont waste our time on this thinking something may be fixed if we see a wrong.

Do you get what I mean? I'm not trying to rabble rouse, here. I really want to know what the clear lines are. I'm a mod here, too, and I pretty much trust my massive gut. But if I don't know, I check with you to be sure, since you're the top dog here. But if I can pretty much do what I want...then there's some shit I've been wanting to do to fuck with Sam for like 2 years now that I can start doing...

because it's just that: an anology. and it works.

no, it doesnt. this isnt a government, we are not a true democracy.

so...posting without any fear of censorship isn't a tenant of this place? Or the privacy to remain anonymous? That's not it?

Then please do define it, because at it stands, many don't like what he did and thinks it's against this place's ethos.

no one's been censored, and anon's privacy has been violated once. speaking of hyperbole...

This is a simple point, Nick, and it's not even a question of popularity, since everyone (mostly) believe's he's a good mod. But most ALSO believe he a. broke the rules and b. would probably do so again.

This is inane. "most"? really? most is what you're going with? that's an honest response from having read through this entire thread?

So, the question is this: if WE can't trust him, does it really matter? And if he does it again, then what? There's a. no way for us to know and b. no assurances our privacy is protected.

sure it does, he should have that trust, ideally. and he wont do it again.

there's no real assurances you've all registered your emails here and im not selling them to spammers. i guess we get to take these things on faith!

oh, you. deflecting away. I love it when you realize you're losing an argument and resort to this, it's cute.

yes, i do lovably make jokes at funny questions.

even though not many others do?

Yes, and this is why the internets and every discussion forum on them arent analogous to a democracy: because at the end of the day, its my decision to keep him in such a place, and if he has my trust in it, that's the criteria i established. So, again, yes.

In effect, I as a member want to know if our opinions of these things are actually worth anything, cos if not, why bother? Just be frank. At the very least we wont waste our time on this thinking something may be fixed if we see a wrong.

yes and no.

Yes in that its important to voice any concerns people have with his actions and the possibility of him doing them again. It affects him, despite the response here, and it raises my attention that its a valid issue. Additionally, there are matters of policy that've been adapted when everyone agreed on them.

No in that, in this instance, i dont hand out admin abilities to whoever when its fashionable to do so, so if people had a poll tomorrow to elect another, it wouldnt bring such about, but it could be a factor in the decision to make another if and when i felt it was necessary.

Do you get what I mean? I'm not trying to rabble rouse, here. I really want to know what the clear lines are. I'm a mod here, too, and I pretty much trust my massive gut. But if I don't know, I check with you to be sure, since you're the top dog here. But if I can pretty much do what I want...then there's some shit I've been wanting to do to fuck with Sam for like 2 years now that I can start doing...

most times i tell you to trust your judgement except when you're being heated/emotional/retarded. I trust you not to go crazy with your abilities at those times, and so far you havent, so it was a good call.

Archived