Hondo's Bar

The Evolution of the Games Console

FreekinRican

The Evolution of the Games Console shows a rather complete generational breakdown of home video gaming history.

Personally, I've had the pleasure of being permitted to play both a first gen Magnovox Odyssey and an Atari Pong console. What vintage systems/consoles have you guys owned?

I've owned at any one point:

• Texes Instruments TI-99/4A
  • Intellivision (with speech synthesizer)
  • Colecovision
  • Sears Video Arcade (their version of the Atari 2600)
  • Atari 7800 - Which, I have to say, was one of my favorite systems to own, and it sits in my attic back in Fort Myers
  • NES
  • Sega Master System
  • SNES
  • Sega Genesis (MegaDrive) with CD and 32X
  • GameCube
  • PS2

Also...check this place out for kicks: AtariAge I spent a good hour reading up on this site.

I've owned at any one point:
  • Texes Instruments TI-99/4A
  • Intellivision (with speech synthesizer)
  • Colecovision
  • Sears Video Arcade (their version of the Atari 2600)
  • Atari 7800 - Which, I have to say, was one of my favorite systems to own, and it sits in my attic back in Fort Myers
  • NES
  • Sega Master System
  • SNES
  • Sega Genesis (MegaDrive) with CD and 32X
  • GameCube
  • PS2

You missed a whole generation. You never owned an N64, PS1 or Saturn between getting your Genesis and your Gamecube?

Here goes.

NES

Game Boy (3 Original, 1 Pocket, 1 Light)

SNES

Game Gear

Virtual Boy

PS1

N64

PS2

Wii

Xbox 360

You missed a whole generation. You never owned an N64, PS1 or Saturn between getting your Genesis and your Gamecube?

Surely enough, I did miss that generation. I was attending FIU at the time and didn't have much extra spending money. Nick the Irish Ninja lived around the corner so I'd use his consoles instead, and my old high school buddies had theirs whenever I was back home in Fort Myers for the summer.

Texes Instruments TI-99/4A - Man, I played the hell out of Hunt the Wumpus back in the day.

NES - So many good ones. Also, so many bad ones. :FHD:

SNES - This was all about the Super Mario RPG for me.

N64 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario 64. Also loved me some Killer Instinct Gold. One day I will find and finish Conker's Bad Fur Day and Majora's Mask

Playstation 2 - So many i still haven't played. :(

i still play my snes on a regular basis ;)

You rock. Which games?

all of the mario games (i have all stars, too, so i can play the ones that came out on nes) and yoshis island. i have beat them all hundreds of times, but i still love them. i can beat super mario 3 in like half an hour. :FHD: oh and i like clay fighters. lol im such a dork

Texes Instruments TI-99/4A - Man, I played the hell out of Hunt the Wumpus back in the day.

Holy shit! :FHD: Dude, that's awesome...I owned SO many games for my TI. I even had the speech synthesizer box and the cassette deck for saving games. (For those of you younger than about 25, yes, cassette tapes used to be an accepted storage method for data *sigh*). Hunt the Wumpus was a favorite of mine but so were these:

• Alpiner
  • Parsec
  • Donkey Kong - Yep, THE Donkey Kong, ported to and licensed for the TI
  • Anteater
  • Hopper
  • Jungle Hunt
  • Blasto
  • Munch Man
  • Moon Mine
  • Jawbreaker
  • Tombstone City: 21st Century

By the way, Lycaon here's a Java verions of Wumpus for you. Ah...the memories...

all of the mario games (i have all stars, too, so i can play the ones that came out on nes) and yoshis island. i have beat them all hundreds of times, but i still love them. i can beat super mario 3 in like half an hour. :FHD: oh and i like clay fighters. lol im such a dork

I have All Stars, too. I just seem to have lost my controllers & the power cord to the SNES...hrm, must find it.

Also, y'all have to check out this website...Console Classix. They have all a huge database of the games we used to play on all of these consoles...addicting.

I had one great rom/emulator site a while back that i used for mario kart and mario kart 64....

*sigh* they really don't make games like they used to, games these days are too graphics focused i think... I'd start a vs thread, but i really think there's very little point given the trend on this board seems to follow my thoughts

I have All Stars, too. I just seem to have lost my controllers & the power cord to the SNES...hrm, must find it.

Also, y'all have to check out this website...Console Classix. They have all a huge database of the games we used to play on all of these consoles...addicting.

you can get new parts online, i check ebay usually, but a brand called Pelican makes controlers and cables that are compatible

I've listed my collectio so many times, and infact in response to this thread have a half-finished list at home on the lappie, but all's I wanna say now is the newest jewel of my collection is my colecovision I got off Ebay last week. It is pure love.

I actually owned an Intellivision II with the Voice Box addon. Beyond its time hehe. I also remember how cheap my dad would get me one those games every other week. We're talking 2 to five dollars :FHD: I got a ton of them at the dollar bin when the Nintendo came out and swept the floor with Uberpixel graphics

Great times. Utopia was an incredible 2 player strategy game. One of the 1st RTS games. I was hooked on rts since then hehe.

me and my brothers used to crack out the mega drive for some golden axe and streets of rage until very recently, alas the the tv cable finally stopped working a few months ago :FHD:

Is it a Megadrive II? Because I bought an RCA lead off Ebay for what I thought was my Genesis but alas it's the 4-pin plug for the MDII so if you want it it's yours.

Onto listage though,

Atari 2600(own)

Atari 7800

Colecovision(own)

NES(own)

Master System II(own)

Genesis(own)

SNES(own)

N64(own)

Saturn(recently got rid've it)

Dreamcast(own)

Archived