Hondo's Bar

Resident Evil 5

The NZA

621.x600.timein.res_evil.open.jpg

coudla sworn we had a thread for this?

Latest trailer, past the first one that started alla controversy (the one that showed Chris has biceps on his biceps, natch). This one's looking to follow the engine from 4 from what ive seen, which is nothing but good. Realistically, though? 2009 release.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks pretty sweet, thought they definitely added a bunch more white zombies since the last trailer.

yeah, uh, theyre the south africans. so you think capcom caved to controversy?

benny: not happening, sorry to be the one to break it to you. You might dig Umbrella Chronicles, though!

yeah, uh, theyre the south africans. so you think capcom caved to controversy?

Probably, there wasn't a white guy to be seen outside of Chris in the last trailers, now there are several prominent ones. I'm not surprised, the racist angle probably never entered their heads in the early stages of development, and once they heard about possible outrage, they modified it. The Japanese are very sensitive to perceived racism.

benny: not happening, sorry to be the one to break it to you. You might dig Umbrella Chronicles, though!

The Wii would explode trying to do these graphics. But I'm guessing another Wii RE will be coming along soon. Capcom likes money, and the Wii REs have sold pretty well.

http://kotaku.com/5012678/resident-evil-5-...m-says-producer

Quote:

We were curious, in light of new media that seems to show a more racially diverse set of enemies and a noticeably less WASP-y new partner for Chris Redfield, if the team had taken that criticism to heart and altered some of their design decisions

Resident Evil 5 producer Jun Takeuchi told us "No, not really." He said via his translator that cries of racism "didn't have any effect on the game design."

On the subject of Chris Redfield's new sidekick, one who appears to lean toward ethnically ambiguous, Takeuchi said "We wanted Chris to have a partner who was familiar with the environment. She's been in there since pretty much the beginning."

"In terms of the reaction, we're in the business of entertainment," Takeuchi said. "We didn't set out to make a racist game or a political statement. We did feel there was a misunderstanding about the initial trailer."

The Resident Evil 5 producer said they'd sent a team of Capcom staffers to Africa to do research in the area, stressing that they had decided to include Arab and Caucasian peoples based on what they'd seen while on location. We found it odd that there was virtually no non-Black representation in RE5's debut trailer, but Takeuchi was adamant that the current product is in line with their experiences.

Whether the inclusion of a supporting character who isn't of the white guy persuasion and a more ethnically diverse cast of slaughtering victims will in any way address concerns of racism or insensitivity remains to be seen. What we do hope is that, regardless of the changes to this marquee title, the discussion continues about the topics it seems to unintentionally address.

Probably, there wasn't a white guy to be seen outside of Chris in the last trailers, now there are several prominent ones. I'm not surprised, the racist angle probably never entered their heads in the early stages of development, and once they heard about possible outrage, they modified it. The Japanese are very sensitive to perceived racism.

Well if you think about it it's no more racist than the last one as everyone but Leon, Ada, and the president's daughter were Spanish.

• 1 month later...

Almost forgot!

The Microsoft press conference at E3 2008 saw a game demo of Capcom's Resident Evil 5, after which Jun Takeuchi announced the release date for the eagerly anticipated title. Resident Evil 5 will be launching worldwide on Friday, March 13th 2009, except for Japan who get it a day earlier. Friday the 13th? Really? How many months do you think they pushed it back just to get that special, more-evil Friday the 13th release?

Such great news. 4 was an amazing turn for the series, and this looks like that x10.

Well if you think about it it's no more racist than the last one as everyone but Leon, Ada, and the president's daughter were Spanish.

how's that a race?

Man I can't wait to play this, finally I get to do what I've always dreamed of doing without getting arrested.

• 3 weeks later...

PS3 footage, and much of it. So far, we've got:

1) highly questionable AI

2) "dialogue" with gratoutious cussing

3) repeating zombie models

4) things coming out of people's torsos/heads that shoudlnt

id say development is coming along quite nicely. In all seriousness, it looks pretty far along, and those (like myself) who enjoyed the shit out of RE4 should be happy about basically playing more of the same, in a different setting. Man, i cant wait.

hah, i cant believe bish was just bitching today bout how Bison shouldve stayed dead before SF IV, but wants Wesker.

also, :)

anyone got details on the co-op on this one? that could be so cool...like uh, what Outbreak was supposed to be.

• 3 months later...

oh my christ, the japanese get the best stuff

res5big.jpg

Get a look at this thing. It's pure excess. It's the Japanese collector's edition of Resident Evil 5. In Yen, it's ¥12,800. In US dollars, that's $130. And it's almost worth it.

It's available only to Japanese customers shopping on Capcom's online store, so if you want a copy, prepare for a nasty case of importer's inflation. That or be really nice to Ash for a week. If by some chance you do get your hands on one, here's what you'll have scored yourself:

flash.jpg

- a USB flash drive disguised as some kind of vial/canister from the game.

artbook.jpg

- an art book.

bandolier.jpg

- a shoulder/waist strap that I'm going to call a phone bandolier.

Oh, and you'll also get a copy of one of 2009's most hotly-anticipated games. Don't forget that.

That is how you do a Limited Edition.

so, still waiting for the demo to hit japanese PSN, but its up on japanese XBL if you can get gold on that account - which, as i read it, is doable if you havnet used up your system's 4 free trials or something. it looks like a bit've a mission, but its not really that bad, and id imagine totally worth the effort.

How to download the RE5 co-op demo from japanese XBL, right now

Quick Guide to Getting Japanese 360 Gold:

* Go here: http://www.passport.net/

* Sign up a new account, Click "No, sign me up for a free MSN Hotmail e-mail address"

* Pick JAPAN for your country, pick Tokyo-to as your Prefecture 150-2345 for your zipcode

* Keep going, and then have it set you up with a @hotmail.com address.

* Go to your 360, and create a new profile. Log in using your hotmail address on your 360, and it should set it to Japan.

* If this is less than your 4th trial account you get gold free, so select yes when it asks you. (the RE5 demo requires Gold standing)

How to actually download the demo via Japanese Xbox LIVE Marketplace:

* Login to your Japanese Gold account

* Once logged in press the xbox button in the middle of your controller to bring up the "old" dashboard

* Navigate to the market place tab, then go to Game Marketplace

* From Game Market place navigate all the way down to ALL GAMES

* Then from ALL GAMES. Then go to "ALL" (instead of trying to understand japanese alphabet). Then just scroll through all the games until you get to BioHazzard 5 (it should be 270 of 40

* Once you get to BioHazzard 5, the first screen should say "Get Demo" and viola you are downloading the demo. Should be like 472 MBs.

Now go have fun! Thanks to the crazy people at Neogaf for helping out with the instructions at 3:20 in the morning.

wait, shit.

UPDATE: It looks as though Capcom has figured out what everyone is doing and region-locked the demo, too bad but you can still get it from the crazy guys at Neogaf by clicking the following link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php...266&page=16

...and following that neogaf link involves some burning but people say it works fine. its your call, im kinda holding out for the PSN one at this point, cant be far off.

Arright so, with my DC slowly dying and seriously inhibiting my plans of a dedicated playthrough of RE2, where do you survival connisuers recomend I re-begin? Was a big fan of 'em back in the day but having trouble with ackward camera angles and lack of ammo these days. Tried to play the Wii port of RE4 but it was simply terrible(poor port compounding a possibly ackward control system?). Should I just play RE4 for the GC instead? Or d'you guys have a better port of call to reinvigorate my lost passion for the genre?

Just noone mention Dead Space. I'm really not interested

Dead Space, dipshit. its a great game, even plays like RE4.

the ps2 port of RE4 wasnt bad, even added some shit, but the GC one's ideal for looking as good as it does. that said, i dont recall having controller issues but i imagine it'd flow better on PS2, your call. just...dont use your chainsaw, man.

you did run through 4, yes? cause 5 looks to play almost identically, and 4 was like the best @#$%ing game of '05 for a reason. what people tend to forget is, it was pretty long for an action game too, and i dont recall feeling like it dragged its nuts along either.

this talk reminds me, japanese PSN store has biohazard 1 & 2 up there. stoopid japanese PSN.

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago ( I forgot in which forum), I went on a rant about the history of Resident Evil and its main characters. I had answers for all the characters except for one. And around the same time, a new ad for RE5 was released in Japan. So since it's meant to be seen by the pubic, I don't consider it a spoiler... behold:

re5_jill.jpg

Archived