Hondo's Bar

The Green Hornet

The Green Hornet is a masked fictional crime fighter. Originally created by Fran Striker for an American old-time radio program in the 1930s, the character has appeared in other media as well, including film serials in the 1940s, a network television program in the 1960s, and multiple comic book series from the 1940s to the 1990s. Though various incarnations sometimes change details, in most incarnations the Green Hornet is Britt (or "Brit") Reid, a newspaper publisher by day who by night goes out in his masked "Green Hornet" identity to fight crime as a vigilante, accompanied by his similarly masked Asian manservant Kato and driving a car, equipped with advanced technology, called "Black Beauty". The Green Hornet is often portrayed as a fair-to-above average hand-to-hand combatant and is often armed with a gun that sprays knock-out gas (an electric stun weapon called the "hornet's sting" was added to his arsenal in the TV series).

Originally, the show was to be called The Hornet, but the name was changed to The Green Hornet so that it could be more easily trademarked. The color was chosen because green hornets were reputed to be the angriest.

One relatively minor aspect of the character which tends to be given limited exposure in the actual productions is his blood relationship to The Lone Ranger, another character created by Striker. The Lone Ranger's nephew was Dan Reid. In the Green Hornet radio shows, the Hornet's father was likewise named Dan Reid, making the hero the Ranger's grand-nephew.

Growing up and watching The Green Hornet made me a major fan of the character. So a few year back I heard that Kevin Smith was writing a script in which I was not happy about at all. I don't hate the guy but he was a poor choice for such a movie. So when his script was turned down it made me happy as hell.

However the studios were still looking to do the movie. Enter Seth Rogen of Freaks and Geeks,

Undeclared and other movies and show either as a actor or writer. So once again we have somebody who has made me a bit more unhappy about the road this movie was going to take.

Quotes like sent a red flag right alway

"It's a very intense action movie and the relationship between Green Hornet and Kato, a lot of comedy comes from that. At first actually, we weren't even sure going in we could be more of a Jet Li type guy who maybe isn't the funniest guy in the world, but he's physically very impressive, or whether it would be more of a Stephen Chow type guy who can do martial arts, but clearly has a sense of humor. In the version that we've made it seems like a Stephen Chow type guy would be more suitable for the role.

Just when I'm thinking they can't be any more fucking stupid then they are already are we get this fucking shit

greenhornetlogo.jpg

Seth Rogen is The Green Hornet?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS BULLSHIT! THIS BETTER BE A FUCKING JOKE!

BAD ENOUGH MILLER IS ALREADY FUCKING UP THE SPRITE BUT NOW THEY WANT TO FUCK UP

THIS AS WELL!

I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!

Now to hear from silent Bob on his take on this.

Begone with your Tony Jaa! I'm looking for creativity and acting prowess, not awesome kung fu to the max :D

yeah i agree, look at kill bill, we could've gotten some badass cunt* who could'nt act worth her shit,

instead we got a real actress and just made her look badass.

this is always the way to go

*i've no idea why cunt came out there, maybe it's cos i have'nt slept in 24 hours and i become (more) mysoginistic when i'm tired :transmet:

Oh Tony Jaa is 15 kinds of kickass, it's just Kato doesn't call for someone who's kickass it would be like making To Kill A Mockingbird and having Dolph Lundgren as Atticus Finch when everyone knows he'd be much more suited to Boo Radley, amirite? :transmet:

• 2 years later...

Just saw this tonight in 3D and really dug it. It's pretty much what the trailer makes it out to be: an action-superhero-comedy. I really liked how they focused on the Hornet/Kato relation ship and the whole sidekick dynamic. Director Michel Gondry added his own little touch to the action scenes to give them a unique spin as well. Although it was odd how they killed an insane amount of people by having shit fall on them. We counted four or five I think. Talka bout running a gag into the ground. Cameron Diaz was also a bit meh.

I completely forgot about that and didn't notice it enough for it to be a thing, but defo one of the better 3D movies I've seen in a while and all around pretty fun! Disregarding the source material and just watching those actors play great parts was the best part. Seriously, the casting was perfect (for the actors).

Man, shit was always falling on villains. It was like the only way anybody ever died, it's like action movies in the 80s where the hero and the villain always end up fighting on a tall building and the villain somehow ends up falling off the edge, and the hero grabs his hand because that's the right thing to do, and he says "GRAB MY HAND! I'll PULL YOU UP!" but he just keeps losing his grip and then at the last minute he loses him. Seriously, how are you not familiar with this genre trope?

Never said I wasn't familiar w/ it. Just saying I, like ASC, have never read comics from the 1950s. And besides, what does that have to do w/ the inordinate amount of "crushed" deaths in a single film made in 2010? :uhm:

Because the Green Hornet is a Batman-like hero from 1930s and that was the way they kept the hero's barely kept moral code by having all the bad guys that weren't cool enough to make a return appearance, and even some that were, die in horrible ways that were directly caused by the hero but were more indirect than straight up killing them(except Batman, motherfucker straight up left his arch enemy to die in a fire and laughed about it in the first issue)

So having stuff fall on people in The Green Hornet is kind of an homage to the storytelling of the 30s, 40s, and 50s because they hadn't yet dreamed up great stories like Arsenal tripping out on heroin and killing a group of street thugs to save a dead cat that he hallucinated as his murdered daughter.

Archived