Hondo's Bar

Best Comic Writers

Lorelei

My absolute favorites are Chris Ware, Dan Clowes, Alan Moore, Will Eisner, Grant Morrison, Harvey Pekar, Art Spiegelman, Charles Burns, Los Bros. Hernandez, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, Peter Milligan, Dave Sim, Scott McCloud, Frank Miller and Dave Lapham.

I'm digging Walking Dead at the moment, so I'll throw in Robert Kirkman as well.

david.jpg

My favourites are: Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, J. M. DeMatteis, Bruce Jones and Brian K. Vaughan.

Yours?

I love me some Garth Ennis! I was a big fan of the boys and Preacher. And of all The Punisher writers he's the best. One of my favorites he did, was The Punisher Kitchen Irish. Alan Moore is great too! Watchmen is also a favorite. If you haven't read Tom Strong You should it's really cool.

yeah, mostly covered here: Ennis, BKV, Elllis, etc. Id add Brian Wood and Bendis (on certain books) to the list, personally. prolly Brubaker as well.

Lor: J. M. DeMatteis? for wha?

also, i gotta say, Lapham's really not my thing. I tried Stray Bullets and didnt get into it, and that recent Vertigo story about some insane chick looked...no good. i could be wrong here.

Will Eisner, Brian K Vaughn (Y is a masterpiece, but my favorite of his is Pride of Baghdad). I like Alan Moore on some books, on others I think he's a pretentious bore. Darwyn Cooke. Craig Thompson. Garth Ennis makes the list for Preacher alone. I'm not sure if I'd name him a great but I've yet to read anything from Mark Millar that I haven't enjoyed. 1980's Frank Miller - he started to get on my nerves halfway through the Sin City series and the ass-raping that he's giving to the Spirit right now was the final nail in the coffin for me - now I can't stand the guy. He's all misogyny and machismo so absurdly amplified that you can't help but wonder what he's trying to prove to everybody. The guy's Quentin Tarantino with no wit.

aw, moore's a given for me, as is gaiman.

but miller - i see your point, but ive honestly divided a line in my mind with Miller, so as to not let his current works on things like All-Star Batman or his cinematic efforts cross over into Dark Knight Returns/Year One, his awesome Daredevil run, 300, bits of Hard Boiled and Ronin, etc.

its almost like how i can say i am (rightly, was) a fan of Waid in the 90's, between Kingdom Come, Apocalypse Now and the like. Then he went over to X-O Manowar and The Kingdom (...) and ceased being the same writer for me.

I guess I have a "what has he done for me lately" attitude of Miller as well. He's on my list because of all the great shit he did from about '80-'94 (+ DK2, I liked it, but I understand I'm in the minority). Irish Ninja named practically everything that's worth a damn. I liked the Martha Washington books too.

That said, I really don't approve of what he's doing with The Spirit. It's not really The Spirit, it's like that series Stan Lee did for DC where it was a big "What If Stan Lee had created The Black Racer?" or some such bullshit. It's Frank Miller's Spirit, not Will Eisner's, and that's completely unnecessary.

I'm gonna have to add Steve Gerber for his run on Howard the Duck in the '70's. Before they made that pieceashit movie, Howard was incredibly good. Witty, political and insightful. Too bad absolutely none of that translated to film, and Gerber has done nothing much worthwhile since then. Oh well.

Howard%20The%20Duck%20#8.jpg

• 2 years later...

I'm gonna have to add Michael Kupperman to that list. Lately, no one has made me consistently burst into maniacal laughter while alone in the house like him. I'm up to date on Tales Designed to Thrizzle (it has some valleys, but the great bits are really great) and I'm looking forward to his forthcoming autobiography of Mark Twain.

Excerpt from the introduction.

GREETINGS, STRANGER OF THE FUTURE. If you are reading this, it means the written word has survived, that the world of tomorrow still exists, and that for some reason my ramblings are still considered worth reading. My name is Mark Twain, and I write these words to you in the good old days of August 2010. “What’s that, you say, didn’t you die a hundred years ago, you old coot? I hear your memoirs have just been published, right now in 2010, because they had to wait a century after your death, blah blah blah and so on. The truth is I never died, but the same old rumors got exaggerated and then the Great War happened, so people forgot I was still alive. And I’ve kept alive, due to a magic spell cast upon me by a wizard — but I’ve promised not to tell that tale until 1,000 years have passed. I let them do the century book because otherwise I might have to pay the advance back again, and I couldn’t afford it. I suppose by now you all know how I was Jack the Ripper, and why it was in a good cause that I committed those foul murders. Also that I was directly responsible for the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. Hopefully you’ve forgiven me these indiscretions…

Readers eager to see how Twain hunted the Yeti (“Come out here and face me, you snow-covered coward!”), met the Six Million Dollar Man, had a love affair with Mamie Eisenhower (“Boy oh boy, this lady was one hot dish”), and accidentally became involved in X-rated films, will devour this tome, which of course is augmented with Kupperman’s hilariously deadpan illustrations. 128 pages of full-color comics

Great Writers who have fallen off:

Frank Miller

Jeph Loeb

Waid

Still some of my favorites if only for particular stories. BKV, and Bendis are still up there with me as well, though Bendis is very hit or miss. Morrison I have come to like more and more over the years, he is a strange motherfucker, but man he does a fine job of seeding his stories with hints at future developements and it all tends to fall into place at the end. NXM I liked better upon reread (nova aside), and his Batman, Batman and Robin, and now Batman Inc. runs have been epic. I reread all of his batman stuff up until RIP recently, and wow, he really does foreshadowing well.

As far as new guys Scott Snyder is a beast. If you haven't read his Detective Comics run (#871-881) do so, it is probably going to go down as one of the best runs in the history of the character, holy crap. Can't wait to see his stuff on Batman #1+ next month.

Then of course we have Rucka, Johns, Brubaker. And who can forget some of the old school greats like Wolfman, O'neal, Kirby, and the like?

Enthusiastic co-sign on the Jeph Loeb. Jesus christ, what a bag of shit he's become.

I've read nothing of this Scott Snyder person, although yours isn't the first praise I've heard. I think I'm gonna choose 3 or 4 DC books to follow after the relaunch. Based on that endorsement, Batman is definitely gonna be one of them.

Batman is definitely the book I am most excited for with the relaunch. Still pissed that they are cutting Dick's time in the cowl short, but what are you going to do. Snyder is also going to be the writer on Swamp Thing, so that could be cool too. I've also heard good things about his American ZVampire vertigo book, though I have yet to read it.

Waid's been hit-or-miss for so many years. the man gave you Kingdom Come, then The Kingdom.

NXM I liked better upon reread (nova aside)

kids these days

Then of course we have Rucka, Johns, Brubaker. And who can forget some of the old school greats like Wolfman, O'neal, Kirby, and the like?

some good picks, i just hate that i went from loving Johns on GL stuff like Secret Origin, to wishing he'd leave and take his rainbow bright corps with him. i havent read his Flash or other books though, ive heard his contributions to the DCU compared to what Bendis did for marvel.

Rucka got done dirty (still my assumption) but he had a great :wolvy: run, and whiteout/queen & country were good, as was his batgirl. also, i put a thread up recently about Vaughn coming back to comics, which is nothing but good.

Archived