Hondo's Bar

Blargh - The Random Thread

The NZA

Some folk'll never eat a skunk

and then again some folk'll,

like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel!

Cletus.gif

"Kids! were eatin dinner tonight!

Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumer, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Chloe, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sasha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Phil.."

ATOMIC COMICS MESA STORE DESTROYED

From Atomic Comics Owner Mike Malve

Tuesday morning at 9am about an hour before the store opens a 16 year old girl with her 19 year old boyfriend drove there car threw the store front window and crashed into the middle of Atomic Comics Mesa Superstore location [in Arizona].

The store alarm went off and they pulled there car out of the wreckage and left the scene of the crime. Within minutes we received a call from our alarm company. We called the store manager Julian who was on his way to the shop. He then called us back at the offices about ten minutes later..frantic… and saying it was a war zone at the shop. Anybody who knows Julian, knows he tend to overreact to things. So when Jay came into my office and said we need to go drive down to the Mesa store. I sort of went reluctantly.

Forty minutes later when I arrived at the store and saw all the carnage. It was hard to take . There where 8 cop cars and the fire department as well. Apparently the car hit the one part of the store that housed the water main and all the pipes where broken , causing several 100,000 gallons of water to be shot out across the whole store at great force. The store was ankle deep in water in minutes. The city came in and shut down all the water , but it took about thirty minutes to get that under control. So by the time I walked into the shop, comics and toys where floating around the shop. Things that where clear way on the other side of the shop way up high still got hit.

Emergency water removal teams then went to work and got all the water out over the course of the day. But the water and just the moister and humidity took its toll on the rest of the product in the store. I say when all is said and done we took about a 90% hit on all our product being destroyed in the shop. I have spent all day dealing with all the insurance issues as well as options on what will be next for the Mesa superstore.

Yesterday every news crew in town stood in line for hours to interview us. I have tried to get attention like this for years! I guess I’ll start driving the Atomic van into our mall store for some Christmas PR. Bottom line no one was killed and Atomic will rise from the muck …as we always do.

Last week Atomic Comics’ owner Mike Malve sent out a brief newsletter with the report that the Mesa location of Atomic had been virtually destroyed by a car driving through the front of the store, and resultant water damage from a ruptured pipe.

Since then, Malve has had some time to assess, and has checked back in with an update, both on the store, and the driver of the car.

Malve wrote:

Please make sure that everybody understands no one was hurt and the kids who caused all this damage weren’t even arrested, though they were charged with criminal damage and leaving the scene of a crime. The story we're hearing from the police is that the young girl just lost control of the vehicle when she was attempting to park in front of my store. The brakes didn't work so, confused, she hit the gas, rocketing herself and her car through the Mesa store front. She then pulled out and took off. The police and the insurance companies are now dealing with them so they are completely out of my immediate concerns. I am just happy that no one was badly hurt in such a terrible accident. For the record, I have no ill feelings towards her. I was sixteen years old once and made plenty of stupid mistakes myself that usually go hand in hand with being that age.

I just want everyone to know that everything is okay... or at least "under control," and to thank the hundreds of well wishers who keep emailing and calling me. The response I got yesterday was overwhelming from the likes of Joe Quesada, Jeff Loeb, Mark Millar, and far too many more to name. Publishers have offered to help me restock my store with their product and even my fellow retailers have offered to replace stock. I would like to personally thank Phil at Coliseum in Florida for his phone call this morning. Phil, having lost one of his shops in a hurricane, knows exactly what I am going through right now and offered me lots of sound advice based on his experience. I will get back to each and everyone of you in time, but right now I have to deal with the situation at hand.

We'll be regularly updating the progress as we rebuild the shop at AtomicComics.com. If there is a bright side to this, it's that the Mesa store was our oldest and this gives us an excuse to rebuild her bigger and better than before.

Oh, and anyone going to Wizard World Texas, please stop by the Atomic booth and show the Atomic crew some love. That was our flagship store and losing her has been very emotional for the employees so give 'em a hug.

She got confused and she hits the gas. Why are people like that allowed to drive at all.