Hondo's Bar

District 9

^_^
I'd ask you to elaborate but I think a paragraph of nonsense with the word Jabroni peppered in would probably be the best I could get.
The CGI is rock solid and the aliens ("Prawns") are some of the most unique to come out on film in a while.
Well, it's not film, but...vortigaunt.pngDistrict600.jpg

Just bustin' chops. I know what ya meant. I think...

Sounds like someone is fishing for a Hondo's Con bunk-buddy! You two crazy kids...

Oh, I didn't realize it came off that way. I meant more like, if you classify the aliens as an opressed human race rather than an alien species their responses to the situation are well done.

fuck, Wolverine: Origins scared me right back out of theatres, but this and Bruno have me wanting in. you guys are eating this one up...co-signed on wanting a QC review.

Bruno and Public Enemies done, so the hard review and the boring review are out of the way. So I should be complaining about racist robots and talking about creepy Russian girls tommorrow night, then I'll move on to dramadey and this.

The original star wars movies are childrens movies in my eyes.

And bad ones at that.

True dat

I just don't dig the whole star wars cocksuckery is all. Alright films but incredibly overhyped

Untrue dat

star wars cocksuckery is...incredibly overhyped

True dat.

Anywho back on topic, looking forward to seeing this, trailer has me hyped.

The original star wars movies are childrens movies in my eyes.

And bad ones at that.

The Apple Cart was fine where it was Ross.

I distinctly remember you saying you liked Star Wars more than Lord of the Rings in the wake of Clerks 2. Oh you impressionable boy you.

But yeah this District 9 business looks awesome. I'm happy there is not too many Americans attached to this film. I'm sorry for the bluntness guys but America fucks up good concepts like this. I havent seen a decent Aliens-come-to-Earth-in-giant-ship movie since Independence Day (and even I'll admit it had as much depth as a rock pool).

Saw it tonight and it rocked my fucking socks off. It was the most fluid pacing I've seen in a movie. It did a genre-switch somewhere in the middle and I barely noticed. Really well made, well thought out concept. Mucho fucking spoilers to follow:

The aliens themselves were fascinating. There was just enough left unanswered to lend a sense of, dare I say it, reality to them. For the most part they were simply hobos that somehow mastered space travel. I like how they had some sort of insect-like caste system which explained why there were dumbass unruly ones and "sharper" ones like Christopher.

Basing it all in Johannesburg was a master stroke. There was an apartheid allegory but wasn't being waved sickeningly in our faces. Basing the movie in an American or European city just wouldn't have worked. South Africa was the right place because it still allowed them to have an English speaking movie portrayed in a modern city while still retaining some element of grit. It also tells us there wasn't much rhyme or reason to the alien landing. They didn't land in Washington or London so they obviously didn't know enough about Earth to know where the most important cities were.

I love the way it shifted from Mockumentary indie-style to action drama almost seamlessly. Although it still retained that mysterious yet awesome X-factor the whole way through. The scenes with Vickus in the MNU labs were genuinely disturbing and were some of my favourite. I don't care what anyone says but we were the villians. The human race was the moustache-twirling baddie in this movie. I gonna stop typing now because I could go on forever. This movie hit a turbo switch in my imagination or something.

I would finish by saying that District 9 is joined by Star Trek and Watchmen as my favourite movies of the year so far. (Yes Harry Potter was good but favourite it was not.)

• 4 months later...

Archived