Hondo's Bar

The Big Lebowski

Biglebowskiposter.jpg

hondo's, how you not gon have a thread on this fantastic film? Shooooo.

alright, i didnt have much new to add to the topic, if you havent seen this film, get off the internet and do so. if you have, enjoy this.

WALTER

Indeed, a rug of value; an estimable rug, an honour’d rug; O unhappy rug, that should live to cover such days!

DONALD

Of what dost thou speak, that tied the room together, Knave? Take pains, for I would well hear of that which tied the room together.

WALTER

Didst thou attend the Knave’s tragic history, Sir Donald?

DONALD

Nay, good Sir Walter, I was a-bowling.

WALTER

Thou attend’st not; and so thou hast no frame of reference. Thou art as a child, wandering and strutting amidst the groundlings as a play is in session, heeding not the poor players, their exits and their entrances, and, wanting to know the subject of the story, asking which is the lover and which the tyrant.

THE KNAVE

Come to the point, Sir Walter.

WALTER

My point, then, Knave; there be no reason, if sweet reason doth permit, in enlightenment’s bower—and reason says thou art the worthier man—

DONALD

Yes, Sir Walter, pray, merrily state the fulcrum of thy argument.

THE KNAVE

My colleague, although unfram’d and unreferenc’d, speaks plain and true. That these toughs are those at fault, we are agreed; that I stand wounded, unrevenged, we likewise are agreed; yet you circle the meanings unconstantly, like blunted burrs, unstuck where they are thrown.

WALTER

I speak of aggression uncheck’d, as crowned heads of state once spoke of Arabia—

DONALD

Arabia! Then we have put a girdle round the earth. Of what does Sir Walter speak?

WALTER

Cast it from thy sievelike books of memory, Sir Donald; thou art out of thy element.

DONALD

Mine element?

WALTER

Wherefore was I curs’d only to minister

To congregations held in deafen’d pits?

I must hobble my speech; of elements, sir,

A doctor of physic did once explain

That all the earth is province elemental,

Sure and steady as the stone-wall foursome

A-holding up the Knave’s roof, tied together

By power that we spake on, our traffic

Unmarred by thy rough and idle chatter.

And the complexion of the element

In favour’s like the rug that ties the room.

O, a muse of fire the first element,

Airy breath the second; though this wind

May well be yours for all you flap your tongue,

O ill-dispersing wind of misery!

Thou hast no wings, and, liable to plunge,

You fit not fowl; yet foul your interruption,

Fished for facts, yet fish you cannot be;

So water, elemental third, you’re not,

How much salt water thrown away in waste.

Of earth, no woman left on earth will have thee,

No man of middle earth will tend thy land,

So walk the plains like to a lonely dragon;

I care not.

THE KNAVE

Good sir, speak plain. I know not these villains, surely would I ne’er traffic with this man of Orient birth who so abused my rug. I have not the facility to present him with the rate of usance and demand money in kind for that which he has spent upon’t; so I entreat you, speak plain.

WALTER

I speak the truth; my words are straight and true.

The man of Orient birth is not the issue.

DONALD

The Orient, Sir Walter?

WALTER

I speak, old friend, of truths in desert land.

The hour is nigh to draw line in the sand.

THE KNAVE

Deserts? I had made it plain that he was Orient-man.

WALTER

Though words in haste be only human nature,

‘Orient-man’ is not preferr’d nomenclature.

THE KNAVE

Give me no further counsel; my griefs cry softer than advertisement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Damn, I hope this thing ends up online somehow.

big-lebowski-reading_810.jpg

This was the scene at Jason Reitman’s live-read of The Big Lebowski last night, with Seth Rogen on stage recreating the Coen brothers movie alongside Christina Hendricks, Jason Alexander, Rainn Wilson — and surprise guest Sam Elliott, playing the part he originated 15 years ago.

How someone at the reading could get away with smoking a joint in the middle of a packed theater at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is something we’ll just have to ask the boys down at the crime lab. (Maybe the LAPD should get four more detectives working on the case.)

Reitman’s recreation of classic movies with alternate casts have become a hot ticket in Los Angeles, especially since they’re not recorded for wide release. For the sixth and final one of the season, the Up in the Air and Juno director got sponsor Film Independent to put speakers in the LACMA courtyard so the wait-listers who didn’t get in could listen.

The show had two big surprises — one was Fred Savage, playing a German nihilist, over-the-line bowler Smokey, and the sarcastic cop who finds The Dude’s stolen car, (among other roles). A last-minute replacement for Patton Oswalt, the former Wonder Years actor proved a remarkably great mimic, especially at capturing Philip Seymour Hoffman’s breathless obsequiousness as The Big Lebowski’s own personal Smithers, the suck-up assistant Brandt.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Big Lebowski live read: Fassbender as The Dude, Patton Oswalt is Walter

CKw6WLkWgAEqwT1.jpg

On Friday night, during the Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal, Fassbender took up the shaggy mantel of The Dude, portrayed by Jeff Bridges in the Coen Brothers’ classic The Big Lebowski, as part of Jason Reitman’s live script reading series. To get into character, Fassbender donned a pair of roughed-up shorts and a slouchy sweater, and toked three, J.Law-rolled cigarettes — the kind which may or may not have been packed with the Devil's lettuce — during the read.

Dennis Quaid played the wheelchair-bound Lebowski, and Mae Whitman played Steve Buscemi’s Donny as well as the incompetent nihilists. A gaggle of Silicon Valley actors played supporting roles, including T.J. Miller as Brandt, played in the film by the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman; Martin Starr as John Turturro’s Jesus, with whom you don't fuck with; and showrunner Mike Judge as Sam Elliott’s Stranger.

CKux7JiUkAAMrSG.jpg

I was working at a movie theater when this movie first came out. The ol' Regal Cinemas at Cocowalk, above Borders (now all extinct). I saw it so many times on the big screen during it's initial run - in a practically empty theater. It wasn't a big draw at the time. Me and some of my other coworkers, knew it was special. We would duck into it during our break or catch it after work.

I have so much love for this movie. This is one of those movies that's a part of my DNA, crazy to watch the movie unfold into this phenom status throughout the years. Even crazier to see swarms of Lebowski lovers or documentaries.

Reminded of how damn old I am. Glad to see the movie reach it's iconic status. Definitely deserving.

• 1 year later...

Soooo there's a spinoff coming. And it's filming.

Remember how John Turturro has been wanting to make a spinoff to “The Big Lebowski” centered around his character The Jesus for years now? Well, it turns out he’s already a few weeks into production on the project, which once carried the working title of “100 Minutes with Jesus” but is now known as “Going Places.” Birth.Movies.Death. first reported the news.

Bobby Cannavale, Audrey Tautou and Susan Sarandon all feature in the film as well, with an off-color premise inspired by Bertrand Blier’s 1974 “Les valseuses.” Cannavale stars opposite Turturro as a fellow thief named Petey, with the two vying to give a woman (Tautou) her first orgasm; Sarandon completes the foursome as a criminal recently released from prison.

LrzpNyY.jpg

I guess I'm a minority because I don't think the big lebowski is that great? I've seen it several times and all people tell me is: "Man, you just don't get it."

...christ. It's Prometheus all over again

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really fun movie, but people act like its the god damn 2nd coming.

Edited by Bindusara