Hondo's Bar

Inception

I just saw it with my brother, and we spent... oh about 15 minutes trying to find something wrong with it. All we came up with was that the DiCaprio-Page dynamic could have been pulled off a little better. That was it.

Special effects, awesome. Story, kickass. Delivery, spot on. Pacing, ridiculously good. How the hell did he say so much in so little time. Action scenes, great. Cheesy scenes, none really.

Well, there was the van that took forever to fall but personally I liked that part :bananaman:

Directing, great. Acting, very good. I can't say great because the movie just doesn't go there. The dialogue chosen and used is done well. Character development is impressive for a cast this large. Cameo scenes fill in key parts. Caine scenes allow DiCaprio to develop quickly to keep the movie pace brisk.

Fuck it, just go see the damned movie. This is what Hollywood strives to do, a solid, fun, well-rounded all audience movie. We'll see if it can rake in the megabucks. If not, then maybe they can get an Oscar nod instead :) Easily my favourite movie of the year.

• Like 1

When I saw it, in 2D, I didn't even know 3D was available. Dammit must they take more of my money? LOL

:director:

Regarding the IMAX version, a motion-sickness friend of mine who also loved it recommended Dramamine to those of delicate balance. She had to close her eyes from time to time to readjust. You have been warned! :proof:

oh no 3-D isn't available for this (I'm pretty sure). Im just saying that being one of the few that doesn't watch 3-D i don't have to go to an alternative theater for 2-D. I imagine it would be pretty crazy in 3-D though :director:

Saw this tonight and oh my God. As Yahve put it, it's hard to find anything wrong with this movie. Easily my favourite movie of the year so far. Just go see it.

Agreed! Did you see it w/ DOJ? ASC and I saw it Sunday night w/ "Limerick Shane." We'll have to discuss this film in person on Wednesday before I fly out...and possibly see it again b/c this is one film I'm definitely gonna need to see more than once.

So let's get into spoiler territory and talk ending, people:

ASC was saying it seemed as if the spinning top was faltering before the film cut to black. He called it being an "optimist." Personally, I remember hearing something that sounded like the top slowing, but not seeing it actually falter on screen. I'm inclined to believe that DiCaprio's character was still in a dream, possibly even still in his subconscious' "limbo," which again is one area I'm cloudy on as it was explained so hurridly by Levitt's character in the film.

But my question is, does it matter? Is the film trying to tell the audience that reality is what we make of it? OR is it trying to say a dream is a fantasy world we should fear being trapped in? I don't really think ASC's take on the ending makes him any more "optimistic" than my take. In either version DiCaprio's character finds what he's looking for.

ASC was saying it seemed as if the spinning top was faltering before the film cut to black. He called it being an "optimist." Personally, I remember hearing something that sounded like the top slowing, but not seeing it actually falter on screen. I'm inclined to believe that DiCaprio's character was still in a dream, possibly even still in his subconscious' "limbo," which again is one area I'm cloudy on as it was explained so hurridly by Levitt's character in the film.

But my question is, does it matter? Is the film trying to tell the audience that reality is what we make of it? OR is it trying to say a dream is a fantasy world we should fear being trapped in? I don't really think ASC's take on the ending makes him any more "optimistic" than my take. In either version DiCaprio's character finds what he's looking for.

It seemed to me to begin to wobble near the end. The way he walked past it before seeing if it fell would indicate that it doesn't matter, though.

Yes it fucking matters, it was the point that most irritated me about the movie. Either the film gave us closure in what happened, or left it up to us to decide, and either way it's annoying. For that matter, I can't actively recall ANY moment in the film where the top fell over, and not seeing it topple at the end only makes me question everything. The whole ending was irritating beyond belief because it decided, all of a sudden, that how the story ended should be our decision, and not fact. The top did wobble, as if it was going to fall. The decision is implicitly ours. :/

Yes it fucking matters, it was the point that most irritated me about the movie. Either the film gave us closure in what happened, or left it up to us to decide, and either way it's annoying. For that matter, I can't actively recall ANY moment in the film where the top fell over, and not seeing it topple at the end only makes me question everything. The whole ending was irritating beyond belief because it decided, all of a sudden, that how the story ended should be our decision, and not fact. The top did wobble, as if it was going to fall. The decision is implicitly ours. :/

Let me rephrase that. It didn't matter to the character. Me? I think the top was about to fall.

Because he wanted to see his kids more than he wanted to see the result. But it's not as though he wouldn't come back in after holding them and see the result - it's us the viewers that don't get to see the truth, and that's annoying. He will know, we won't.

I haven't seen this movie yet, but this seems rather illuminating

Oh.Mah.Gah! You read that before you saw the film?!?!!!? Why, dude? Whyyyy!!

But, I was thinking that about the film as well regarding

every moment of the film being a dream. But if that is the case then why did the top topple in some places and not in others? Is this a rule of Cobb's subconscious we simply are meant to figure out or what?

I haven't seen this movie yet, but this seems rather illuminating
But, I was thinking that about the film as well regarding

every moment of the film being a dream. But if that is the case then why did the top topple in some places and not in others? Is this a rule of Cobb's subconscious we simply are meant to figure out or what?

exploding-head.gif

first of all, this is one of the coolest movies i've ever seen. and the cast was fucking incredible. with that said, here are my (and my mom's) theories of what happened):

my mom and i were talking about how we thought that his wife really was right about them being in a dream still and when she jumped she was going back to reality, not committing suicide. i didn't catch it but my mom said that in the scene with michael caine and dicaprio in the lecture room, caine told dicaprio that he needed to wake up and also told him something else that seemed to be foreshadowing that he was still in a dream.

also, i found it odd that he had no totem of his own. he only used his wife's totem, and he specifically emphasized to ellen page that she needed to have her own totem and not share it with anyone else so they can't replicate it. then, i remember that his totem toppled over at some point in the movie (toward the beginning?) so we're still trying to figure that out but our current theory is that he's convinced himself that he's not in a dream state so the top will not keep spinning in what he perceives to be his reality, especially since it's not even his own totem. i think i need to see the movie again to really understand that part so i'll go more in depth later.

also, his children appear to be in the same position and wearing the same outfits as they were in all of his dreams of them. it also seems that they haven't aged at all.