Hondo's Bar

Twin Peaks

TwinPeaks_openingshotcredits.jpg

a number of times that i've expressed love for psych horror stuff (Silent Hill, Deadly Premonition, etc) ive often been told it was derivative of this big 90's series, to which i only know is that ive read/been told the big plot points tie up in season 2 and its said to slow down/do some shark-jumping after this, and wiki says the film somehow works as prologue/epilogue to the series (the fuck?).

Watched the first episode a while back, and i got this vibe that the characters were quirky for the sake of being such...can't say if its me or the series that hasn't aged well with this, wanted to see who on here has watched it, and what they thought.

You heard rightfully about season 2. Blech.

I loved Fire Walk With Me and the first season of Twin Peaks. Yeah, there's some weird for the sake of weird stuff, but it's David Lynch. You have to give him a pass on that shit at this point, just say it's an alternate reality where things are weird, accept it.

You should watch it, and hey, now you'll finally get why Launchpad was saying "The cow is a lie" in that one episode of Darkwing Duck!

I know it's haunted you...

seconded...

twin peaks is in my que of i'll get to it... but i have seen other lynch stuff and it's all pretty much off the wall. i mean, try muhulland drive for a taste of what he's about. i don't see how anyone could think that lynch is like silent hill.

indeed. he's on my "fuck that director" list. i thought i'd be able to take him off the list halfway through mulholland drive but then he goes and fucks shit up for me again. i don't mind symbolism but tiny old people in a shoe box is not symbolism. it's fucking stupid is what it is. don't even get me started on lost highway. jesus christ.

don't mind symbolism but tiny old people in a shoe box is not symbolism. it's fucking stupid is what it is.

I can't think of anything to say that doesn't sound pretentious as fuck, but the tiny old people are clearly a representation of her guilty conscience, the folks who had high expectations of her that she let down.

Mulholland Dr. makes more sense than most Lynch movies, it's about 90% dream and it uses dream logic. I'm not touching Lost Highway or the sheer madness that was Inland Empire, they're pretty much undefendable.

But Twin Peaks? Wild at Heart? Blue Velvet? The Elephant Man? Fuckin' DUNE! Those are all awesome.

I personally liked Eraserhead a lot, but I know better than to recommend it.

• Like 1

Buh? :2T: That'd be Sting in a thong, directed by "Alan Smithee" Dune you're talking about?

I think Dune is one of those "you had to be there" movies. When I was a kid, Dune was badass. I loved that movie. After reading the books it loses much of it's sheen, but the small parts it got right (Gom Jabbar) are awesome.

I don't think Lynch liked it nearly as much as I did.

You lost me with the Alan Smithee.

• 4 months later...

So, hey, Psych is bringing the entire cast of Twin Peaks back for their new episode on December First. It's a tribute episode entitled "Dual Spires."

Personally, I'm going to look forward to it, then watch it, then come back here to see if you guys watched it and are complaining.

Edited by Maldron

indeed. he's on my "fuck that director" list. i thought i'd be able to take him off the list halfway through mulholland drive but then he goes and fucks shit up for me again. i don't mind symbolism but tiny old people in a shoe box is not symbolism. it's fucking stupid is what it is. don't even get me started on lost highway. jesus christ.

The upshot is, if Eli & Alana die before us we'll be so happy together. SRSLY, they don't even have to die. We could just do a 4-way commune type deal.

Logan's right- there's really no logical defense for David Lynch other than 'enjoy the ride'. But it's such. Fucking. Nonsense. I'll admit I kind of dig Eraserhead simply as a cultural straw-figure because it's such a stereotypical student art film. Plus Lost Highway gets points for Patricia Arquette stripping @ gunpoint to Manson. Definitely one of the high points of my teenage years.

I think Dune is one of those "you had to be there" movies. When I was a kid, Dune was badass. I loved that movie. After reading the books it loses much of it's sheen, but the small parts it got right (Gom Jabbar) are awesome.

I don't think Lynch liked it nearly as much as I did.

You lost me with the Alan Smithee.

'Alan Smithee' is the directorial version of Eric the Red or The Red Hood. Basically a generic avatar for Directors in this case(and I'm citing Wiki here) because Lynch was pissy that he couldn't have people pissing in their mouths while raping sandmonsters or something.

Oh Logan, wherefore art though?