Hondo's Bar

Twin Peaks

'Understand' instead of 'know now' hardly constitutes butchering. It's okay Doj, you're just too cool for sci-fi. We get it. You like watching Lynch movies on your Mac while smoking clove cigarettes and commenting on the existentialist nature of the Scott Pilgrim series. Oh, and you're on a middle-name basis with Steve Jobs...

Of all David Lynch movies, Eraserhead represents why I can't stand the man (though the Lynch produced "My Son My Son What Have You Done" and "Dune" come in close second, and CJ tells me that Inland Empire is liquid shit.) As a short film, Eraserhead would be interesting and intriguing but when you make a full-length movie it's generally expected that there's going to be a fucking point to it. I'm sorry, David Lynch but nobody is fucking British enough to excuse this psuedo art-house bullshit. If I didn't like Blue Velvet so much I'd just was my hands of him completely.

• 2 years later...

well, i'm up to ep 17 of season 2, so the man plot (laura palmer) is well tied up.

the 80s cheese is hard to push past here & there, but the midway point of the lengthy season 2 struggles more from side-stories that drag, like

hot ass audrey, her dad's civil war side thing went onnnnnnn for a bit there

i'm staying cause the white room or whatever, and coop's former partner seem interesting so im still wanting to see how they pan out, even if stuff like super-powered nadine is presumably never going to be explained for comedic relief or something

related: i totally wanna replay Deadly Premonition now

ps gonna push past lost highway and watch blue velvet after this, because baytor said hurtful things would be said if i didn't

just finished it all the other day and ^ehhhh about that

season 2 after the halfway point does get kinda wonky, but i was cool with the new villain/direction personally, it was just some side stuff - particularly audrey's dad thinking he was robert e lee - holy crap that dragged and i was grateful to have animal crossing going to help push past that.

but i definitely wouldn't tell someone to skip season 2 and then watch Fire Walk With Me, i think you need to see the finale/Cooper's plight to appreciate how the movie tried to tie it up, however fucked/inconclusively.

i spent some time on wiki after finishing it up, and found myself sad it was over. the camp was unbearable for me at times but i really did like some of the characters, and was really intrigued with the black lodge. seeing how some of the cast got burned & the movie's poor reception, i guess its almost surprising we got as much of it as we did. i don't know why Lynch & the other guy were so absent for season 2, or why the movie was hated so much - yeah there was pretty much nothing there for people who didn't follow the show, but why would you see it then? i got tired of Laura, granted, but fuck, and FBI branch run by Lynch with agents David Bowie, Chris Isack & Keifer, man i wanna work there

ended up enjoying this more than i thought i would, think i'm finally down for more lynch shit so if time permits ima finally try Blue Velvet tonight

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/34365285">The Simpsons - s09e03 - Lisa's Sax - Twin Peaks</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user488622">Jacek</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Thought I'd throw my two cents in as someone who is a big Lynch fan. Anyway, if you like Blue Velvet (which is probably his most perfect balance between beings accessible and getting across his aesthetic/sensibilities) you should watch Wild at Heart. I think it's a little bit of weird for weird sake and a little silly, but it's a lot of fun. I think what w\Wild at Heart and Blue Velvet have in common is that it's the characters in the films that are bizarre, necessarily the structure of the films themselves. You should also watch Eraserhead. It's really fuckin weird, but I think a lot of people can get behind it because it's a horror movie, so it's weirdness just makes it intensely creepy. Eraserhead elicits horrible feelings that you didn't know you had.

You go past Wild at Heart and the way the films are written and shot become very unconventional and that's where he loses lots of people. Of course, if his films weren't divisive, I think we'd be missing the point here. That being said, Mulhulland Drive is a good gateway for the rest of his work. MD was one of the first truly bizarre films I ever experienced, and it kept me and my friends up in a Denny's till 3 am trying to understand what the hell we just saw. I'd only watch Lost Highway if you're a huge fan, it's interesting, but not his best, and Inland Empire is fucking amazing, but it's like 3 hours of Laura Dern yelling at herself on really low quality handheld video... so be ready for that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Returns as Showtime limited series

Twin Peaks fans’ quarter-century wait is over. One of the top cult series of all time is coming back with a new limited series on Showtime from its original creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost. I’ve learned that the nine-episode series will go into production in 2015 for a premiere in 2016 to mark the 25th anniversary of when the series finished its run on ABC. In a fact that will delight Twin Peaks devotees, Lynch and Frost will write and produce all nine episodes, with Lynch set to direct every episode.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

lynch8szam.png

Same from Frost

frostnps39.png

Coop

cooppzsfr.png

Showtime

stm0o40.png

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...howtime-796083

How's this for a way to start the weekend: Showtime's Twin Peaks revival is all systems go.

Following a squabble with Showtime, David Lynch announced Friday via Twitter that he has resolved his salary and budgetary standoff with the premium cable network.

[...]

Not only is the stalemate over, but
Showtime has committed to producing more than the nine episodes originally ordered

"This damn fine cup of coffee from Mark and David tastes more delicious than ever," Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement Friday confirming the news. "Totally worth the extra brewing time and the cup is even bigger than we expected.
David will direct the whole thing which will total more than the originally announced nine hours. Preproduction starts now!!

[...]

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Secret History of Twin Peaks now available for pre-order

The Secret History Of Twin Peaks, Mark Frost’s official Twin Peaks tie-in book formerly known as The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks, will be released by Flatiron Books on October 18, 2016 and you can pre-order the hardcover edition today for guaranteed delivery on (or maybe even before) the official release date.

Its 304 pages cover what happened to the people of that iconic fictional town since we last saw them 25 years ago. The 9″ x 7″ book also offers a deeper glimpse into the central mystery that was only touched on by the original series, and will include over 100 two-color illustrations and photographs. It will also get a dedicated website, thesecrethistoryoftwinpeaks.com, which will offer some exclusive content.

Amazon link

• 2 months later...

Twin Peaks: entire 217-member cast revealed including some BIG names

From the original series:

The list includes the beloved “log lady” Catherine Coulson who had been rumored to have filmed a few scenes before her death last fall. Other actors from the original include Sheryl Lee, Sherilyn Fenn, Mädchen Amick, David Duchovny, Michael Horse, Dana Ashbrook, Miguel Ferrer, Ray Wise, Grace Zabriskie, Peggy Lipton, Everett McGill and David Lynch.

Newcomers:

The list of new additions include Amanda Seyfried, Naomi Watts, Ashley Judd, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Laura Dern, Ernie Hudson, Michael Cera, Trent Reznor, Jessica Szohr, Jane Levy, Richard Chamberlain, Robert Knepper, Jim Belushi, Tom Sizemore, Ethan Suplee, Balthazar Getty, Bailey Chase, David Koechner, and Larry Clarke.

twinpeakscast1.png?w=646&h=814twinpeakscast2.png?w=644&h=795