Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

Man, fuck country related blocks on content. :sad:

After a few years of this region blocking shit, isn't there a plugin or app or something you outtatowners can run to make your IP appear to be from whatever country you like? I mean, Firefox and Chrome are so open, you'd think this could be done. I've seen movies where bad guys can reroute their...server...or something.

ok, lotta updates. first up: the BET awards are only worth watching each year for the cyphers (circles of dudes going in lyrically), i havent seen DMX's return one yet, but the Shady 2.0 one is hot. Yelawulf opens, followed by Slaughterhouse (Joe Buddens reminds me when i liked him, i gotta listen to more Joel Ortiz), but i gotta say - between this & Bad Meets Evil 2, Em (still passed his prime) is finally back for me - less yelling, more complexity. i was worried he was stuck on the rich white guy blues, but he destroys this thing.

<object width="628" height="386" id="kickWidget_176704_437150" name="kickWidget_176704_437150" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://serve.a-widget.com/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction"><param'>http://serve.a-widget.com/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction"><param name="movie" value="http://serve.a-widget.com/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction" ></param><param name="FlashVars" value="affiliateSiteId=176704&widgetId=495995&width=628&height=386&playOnLoad=0&js=1&autoPlay=0&revision=80&mediaURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bet.com%2Fvideo%2Fhiphopawards%2F2011%2Fcyphers%2Fhha-digitalcypher-s9%2F_jcr_content%2Fleftcol%2Fvideoplayer.mrss%3Ftype%3Dembed" ></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" ></param></object>

i dont normally follow Crooked I, but he did an amazing freestyle here:

speaking of, if you're into freestyles: Complex rates (and samples) the top 50 radio freestyles

Yc8vg.jpg

okay, so on to Nas - cannot wait for Life is Good later this year, he's doing some of his best work in years:

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/30381262">Nas - "Nasty" Music Video (NasirJones.com)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/nasirjones">Nasir Jones</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

my man Jay Electronica does a track for Modern Warfare 3, for some reason.

also, for DoJ & the experimental crowd: you guys ever heard Electric Circus? Common tried his had at a psychedelic/alternative album, with mixed results, but you can't go wrong with Dilla beats.

iEDgL0Mu8W28P.gif

. . . but i gotta say - between this & Bad Meets Evil 2, Em . . . destroys this thing.

Yup. He blew the rest out of the water. That flow was sick enough to put out on iTunes.

The Common track is an oldie but a goodie. I think that's Jill Scott on there, right?

And the Crooked I freestyle was really good, too. You coulda warned us to come in around the 6 minute mark though. That was A LOT of mush-mouthed DJ bullshit to wade through before the freestyle started.

pretty sure that's her, they work together a lot. and yeah, my bad, i never learned how to link a youtube video @ a certain point, or i'dve done it for sure. there's a few guys (budden's not my favorite these days, but he's one of them) who im down to list talk about hip-hop, most DJs are hype-men that get boring pretty quickly, i agree.

/DRAKE DEFENSE FORCE

okay so i know drizzy's all over the radio and young money's been the new g-unit, but i'm strangely excited for Take Care. one thing that all 3 of the main artists have in common is that they go hard on their mixtapes, and have shown they've got more talent than they put on their albums, which again makes sense cause getting paid is a different model these days. i.e, Nicki's album was garbage but ive heard her freestyle; Wayne's Carter IV was a weed plate but years back, fellow hondonian WhoDey got me onto Tha Carter II, Da Drought 1/2 and he's got chops.

Drake though, his first mixtape was undeniably good, and even his first album wasn't bad by me - his content is tired as fuck just like most everyone else, but his style isnt bad and going OOOOOOOOHHHHHH like its his tag hasn't completely thrown me off, likely because i'm a fan of his production most times. before the radio makes me despite it, i gotta say, his new single is nice.

TL;DR i hate the SAT word association shit ("ya career's dead...GHOSTBUSTERS"), and i think wayne's capable of some of the worst metaphors/similes ive heard, but i give it to them for trying to bring back lyricism and having an ear for production.

...wow. i am prepared to eat so much crow @ Detox. if he's scrapped those other bullshit tracks (Kush wasn't bad) and putting '01 type shit like this on there, i'm gonna be all over it.

please dont sonic cycle me on this, dre; nas already does that enough

20111017-LUDA.jpg

" Ludacris has revealed the cover art for his upcoming mixtape 1.21 Gigawatts, premiering on DatPiff.com on November 15th (via HHNM). Guests for the project include Rick Ross, Meek Mill, Gucci Mane, Wiz Khalifa, Waka Flocka Flame, 2 Chainz and more. Production comes courtesy of FKI, Big K.R.I.T., Juicy J and more."

speaking of K.R.I.T., dude's doing an album with the Roots!

THEROOTS_make-my-cover-620x620.jpg

"Make my"

The Roots track is ok. I don't hate it. However, that Dre track is killer. Has the old skool feel w/out being dated. Looking forward to Chinese Democracy his album being released sometime before the end of the decade.

some Jazz-Hop kinda stuff, but with lyrics:

great instrumental:

Fuck and yes. Both of those are homeruns.

Just a reminder, the TCQ doc is on video now. I'm looking fwd to watching it.

And I'll leave y'all w/ some Mos Mathematics . . .

And a little bit of fat booty . . .

can't go wrong with Mos! at least, most times. those tracks are good.

glad you liked the instrumentals (trying to update that thread too), and yeah, Detox by 2020 feels about right.

that Tribe docu.... *sigh* do watch it, but prepare for some heartbreak. few bits with Jerobi that really tore me up, and not just because i was inebriated. i suspect whenever the nujabes An Eternal Soul docu shows up, ill likewise feel low.

debating seeing Tyler/OddFuture on halloween, but it's $35 right now...anyway.

supporting local artists! i've posted before about !Mayday!, didnt know their MC Wrekonize put out a mixtape recently, and it's good too - stream A Soiree for Skeptics here for free!

i missed their show back in September, gonna catch the next one & show love to my scene. It's cool Rick Ross, Pitbull & co are making money, but i like showing there's more to Miami hip-hop.

here's my go-to track for !Mayday!, love this one:

it really kicks in for me at about 1:30.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_ls6yqirO6N1qh9ee3o1_500.jpg

remaining big releases for 2011:

Yelawolf - Radioactive

Drake - Take Care

Common - The Dreamer, The Believer

The Roots - Undun

Rick Ross - God Forgives, I Don't

Tonedeff & Kno - Chico and the Man

Statik Selektah and Action Bronson - Well Done

GZA - Liquid Swords 2 :misty:

ridiculous lineup, though. off of Common/No ID's album, new track: Sweet

new Black Star in 2012! Kweli says:

Me and Mos are focused on independence and quality of sound. We’re really into a Madlib/Dilla thing right now. Anything you hear from us is probably going to be that type of sound. And it’s about independence, so we are trying to find out the right mediums to get the songs out. When you heard “Fix Up” on Colbert, it wasn’t even mixed; it was something we recorded a week before. Now we’re at the mixing stage of the song and we are going to put that out ourselves. We have a bunch of songs recorded. We are just trying to figure out the best way to release them, whether it’s going to be one by one, EP or album. Right now, the plan is to release “Fix Up” and then Yaasin is working on aYaasin Bey Presents project and then we’ll see how it goes.

I am working to put out a Black Star project for people to buy sometime next year.

• 3 weeks later...

oh, thank god - i can reply to my favoritest thread again! like mortis said prior, this was one of the ones forwarding to youtube because of how text & HTML was being parsed. alright, awesome! gonna post up stuff ive been sitting on, then talk about my favorites this year.