Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

Okay. I'm not posting this because I like it, a chick posted it on FB and I went "ehhhhh" and wanted some other feedback, because I'm a jaded fuck and can't be trusted.

First instinct: It's waaaay to "pop" for my usual tastes, especially the hook. It does have a Workaholics reference and the word "X-Men" in it though.

Now, you might say it belongs in the Alternative thread because it's a white guy who isn't Eminem, but there's nothing alternative about it. It's about as mainstream and non-threatening as you can get. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being kinda big.

And also, like a lot of pop music that I profess to dislike, parts of it get stuck in my head anyway.

Here's something I know I like to balance out the post.

Haven't been in here in a while, so I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. This Azealia Banks is supposed to be the next big thang. I'm not really seeing the big deal here, just another black female rapper talkin' about gettin' her pussy eaten except she says "cunt" instead of "pussy."

tonight's post is gonna put ya'll onto some new shit, lotta quality here! first up, Chuwee, who i'm just discovering too, i'll post more as i do:

ASAP Rocky's nice but i haven't really gotten too into him yet, he gets amazing beats (like this one - best use of an old sample in a minute!) but i don't think he always does them justice...this one though, damn.

more to come, here's a fun mash-up from a DJ dude i met on that turntable site:

WHAT THEY DO shit was fun till U-God's verse, heh.

^that was a cool article ice, didn't know a bunch of those things. Large Professor doesn't get enough credit on classics like that too.

and NY state of Mind in 1 go is like...the lyrical version of that great fight scene in Old Boy. that's unbelievable.

nice.

they're obviously coming off of Slum Village (fellow Detroit hip-hop group with classic J Dilla sound), speaking of the production's very much in that vein, which i really love. your guy's pretty good (i liked the dude at @ 1:40 in too) but again they remind me of Slum cause there wasn't really any weak MC's there. good find man, i'm checking out their alubm right now:

speaking of:

J DILLA’S MOTHER GET UNRELEASED TAPES, ARTIFACTS, MANUSCRIPTS

From allhiphop.com:

Fans around the world will now have the chance to hear new, previously unheard material by J Dilla, thanks to a record store owner in Detroit, who discovered hundreds lost tapes and other material created by the producer.

Maureen “Ma Dukes” Yancey is now in possession of hundreds of tapes created and produced by her son J Dilla, who died of February 10, 2006 from Lupus. The treasure trove of J Dilla material was found by Jeff Bubeck, who owns the Royal Oak-based record store UHF. Bubeck was cleaning out an abandoned storage unit storage he took control of, when he found over 7,000-8,000 records, notebooks, notes and other handwritten artifacts by J Dilla.

Pikachu+best.jpg