Hondo's Bar

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

the division of joy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Huh. I don't know what these developers are talking about. They SEEM to be saying that this game is learning its lesson from the failure and boredom of its predecessors, but I think that's how they've pitched every last damn title of theirs.

I expect boredom. Then again, I'm not the kind of asshole who shoots his dad, so maybe I should look elsewhere for entertainment.

I expect boredom. Then again, I'm not the kind of asshole who shoots his dad, so maybe I should look elsewhere for entertainment.

Yes, yes you should. Part of the fun of Elder Scrolls is exploring EVERYTHING. Some of the most fun I had in Oblivion was pissing off the guards, then using the "sniper vision" and knocking them down and slaughtering them with bow and arrow.

Oblivion improved dramatically on Morrowind, though ( except for a few omissions I missed: Hulk Jumping across the map, flying and being a werewolf). I put an obscene amount of hours in both, but this was my Morrowind experience in a nutshell.

Ok. Off the prison ship. I'm gonna go up here now. Ooo, a cave. Here's a little town, I'll pick up some quests. I wonder what's to the north."

40 hours later

"Oh shit, didn't the guy in the beginning give me something to deliver...somewhere? What did I do with that? Fuuuuuuuuck. I guess I'll worry about it on my next character"

The Elder Scrolls series just dosen't do it for me.

I had a friend pimp me Morrowind back in the day and boredom the main problem I had.

I hate games that just dump you in a massive world with not much direction.(except Minecraft :D )

I need to be guided around a little in a area for a few hours (Eg. GTA) then they can open up the world to me.

I love Bethesda for thier Terminator FPS games mosly The Terminator: Future Shock. God I wish I could pick that up on steam, now that was an awesome game.

Oblivion had plenty of direction. You just have the option of wandering away like Jason in the mall, you don't have to.

I would also recommend anyone who doesn't like the huge area to just jump straight into The Shivering Isles as soon as you get out of the sewers. It's a smaller area with more character and a tighter, more driven and (in my opinion) more satisfying story. Plus you get the coolest sword in the game.

Do you have any physical videogame rental locations there? The Oblivion GOTY edition has Shivering Isles in it, but it's just an install disc. We used to rent it out at my last job.

1. Rent Oblivion GOTY

2. Install SI

3. ??????

4. Profit

EDIT: Or just buy it used at Gamestop and return it an hour later.

Edited by Thelogan

• 1 month later...

Giant building banners like that always send my heart a-flutter. I recall seeing a giant banner for Metalocalypse on the side on an NY skyscraper and nearly shitting on the spot from the sheer awesomeness of it. Sadly there was already a hobo shitting in the exact spot I was standing which prevented me from doing so.

Any idea where that one is?

• 4 weeks later...

Those buildings are in LA. It's still up, from what I understand. Pretty awesome. What else is awesome, you ask? THIS SHIT!

picxX.jpg

IZOvR.jpg

1wWocJ.jpg

g0d1m.jpg

vd9YA.jpg

T83AK.jpg

I WANT THIS FUCKING GAME SO HARD! It's almost upon us. I'd love to get it on PC for the mod community, but I fear I would have some problems, so console for now.

The first thing I'll be doing (same as Oblivion and Morrowind):

Tl8Fa.jpg

/><a href="
target="_blank">QuakeCon 2011 - The Elder Scrolls 5 : Skyrim...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Xboxlivefr" target="_blank">Xboxlivefr</a></i>

40 motherfucking minutes of in game footage. Good lord.

Now I'm going to be disappointed when I don't get a standing ovation for killing a wolf.