Hondo's Bar

Telltale games announces Walking Dead and Fables video games

bishopcruz

Today, Telltale Games is announcing an exclusive worldwide publishing agreement with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment to develop video games for the comic book series Fables, and an exclusive worldwide agreement to develop and publish a series of videogames based on the AMC cable network’s zombie hit “The Walking Dead.”

So, best current Adventure game developer hits a couple of kickass series... neat.

Discuss.

so win?

walking dead could be really cool, I assume they'll go away form the cartoony stuff they'd done till now so I'm really curious about the style. Rereading that it's the TV show and not the comic? not having read the comic yet is there much difference?

Don't know enough about fables to know if thats gonna be cool or not but they make really good game so...

Some people on gaff saying there should be 3 more titles to be announced as well, just some site broke the embargo, lets see if it's true!

Edited by gunsmithx

ASC, I could recommend Fables to you in 1001 ways, but let me just say this: 101 issues in, and it's still as good as the first issue. Picture League of Extraordinary Gentlemen only with fairy tales instead of Victorian era novels, and less anal rape. Also it doesn't suck after the end of the second volume. Though to be honest partway through the series Bigby Wolf becomes a little too much like Wolverine and the Great Fables Crossover is one of the worst things commited to paper, but it picks up again after that.

The Walking Dead makes sense as a point-and-click adventure, except I fear 80% of the puzzles will be figuring out how to avoid zombies.

I have no idea how a Fables point-n-click would work, or who the main character would even be.

ASC, I could recommend Fables to you in 1001 ways, but let me just say this: 101 issues in, and it's still as good as the first issue. Picture League of Extraordinary Gentlemen only with fairy tales instead of Victorian era novels, and less anal rape. Also it doesn't suck after the end of the second volume. Though to be honest partway through the series Bigby Wolf becomes a little too much like Wolverine and the Great Fables Crossover is one of the worst things commited to paper, but it picks up again after that.

The Walking Dead makes sense as a point-and-click adventure, except I fear 80% of the puzzles will be figuring out how to avoid zombies.

I have no idea how a Fables point-n-click would work, or who the main character would even be.

I still think the first story arc is the weakest, and also: it is important if we're going there, to note that Bigby probably does Wolverine better than Wolverine (and with more constant depth). Agreed on the Great Fables Crossover, though (and Jack having his own series in general).

Link

Yesterday was a big day for episodic game developer Telltale. Not only did it announce a new game series based on Walking Dead and show off the first playable version of Jurassic Park, it also announced four other new titles. Of particular interest to the IGN Editors is a reboot of the classic point-and-click franchise, King's Quest, although, sadly, no details were discussed other than the reboot's existence. Here's everything we know about Telltale's upcoming lineup:

King's Quest: Not a port of the original, this will be an entire reboot of the franchise. Expect more details at E3 in June.

Puzzle Agent 2: Last summer Puzzle Agent, a bizarre take on the Professor Layton formula, was released on PC and iOS platforms (it'll make its way to the PlayStation Network this spring). The sequel, Puzzle Agent 2, is coming this summer to all the same platforms. It again stars Agent Tethers and takes place in the snowy Midwest.

More Hector: Badge of Carnage: The first episode of Hector, a mature, gritty point-and-click adventure, was released independently by developer Straandlooper on the iPhone last summer ( IGN gave it an 8.5). Telltale is partnering with Straandlooper to first bring Episode 1 to iPad, PC, and Mac this spring. Two more Episodes will be released later this year.

Hector: Badge of Carnage

Fables: Telltale will bring the Vertigo comic book series to PC, Mac, and consoles in Q1 of 2012. Fables stars famous characters from fairy tales and mythology that have been forced out of their Homelands. Expect more details at Comic-Con in July.

Mostly looking forward to a new kings quest!!! Still though they look to be bigger then I thought, I wonder if they will ever get around to more Monkey Island ports.

i entirely missed out on that gen of PC games. i got King's Quest collection off a telltale pack a while back, and i wanna say space quest is up on GOG? a thread with highlights of said series would prolly entice me.

I get why Los isn't a huge fan of Telltale's production style, but i have to love them for spear-heading the revival of adventure gaming. Walking Dead is likely bought, Fables will likely finally get me to read more of the series.

PS @ mobile platform - i think the closest we've seen for strongbad, etc was wiiware. they're all over PSN, XBLA, and tons of PC formats, but i dont think ive seen them try their engine on mobile platforms yet. you can most likely get a really good SCUMM emulator for old-school Sam & Max, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island etc though.

• 1 year later...